Re: [GRARA] Internet Radio Protocols

  • w8qz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
      Doug:

      I can't speak from experience, never having used any of those. I have a radio that could operate D-Star (if I added a $200 module) - but have been too cheap to do so. (anybody know of a 'real deal' on an Icom UT-118 module?) There is a D-STAR repeater around GR - maybe 2 or 3, but I don't think it's getting a lot of use. Never heard of 'WIRES'. GRARA will have a presentation on MotoTrbo at our November meeting - so there's yet *another* mode.

      As far as I know, both D-STAR and MotoTrbo both use proprietary 'codecs' - to encode transmitted audio (and different ones between the two!), and decode it on the receiving end. The rest of the protocol for D-STAR is open, but not much use without the codec. There's a fair amount of internet linked activity on D-STAR (I'm told - with people using the 'DV Dongle' on their computers / internet. (Where's the Chinese copycat hackers when you need 'em?)

      Maybe my little bit of knowledge will stir someone that's really "in the know" to comment.

      W8QZ

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2013
        Doug,
        IRLP, Echolink and Allstar are all the current VoIP protocols.  There is no WIRES machines in West Michigan that I am aware of, it is kinda a dying protocol.  I have a WIRES-II box here at my repeater and use it NEVER.
        IRLP, EL and Allstar are all used to interlink analog repeaters or remote bases to the Internet.  Although there is some inter-connectivity to digital (we have linked D-STAR to analog via IRLP and Allstar, but it is rare).

        MotoTrbo and D-Star are the two popular digital communications technologies in West Michigan.  There is an active DSTAR repeater in Wayland (see http://wmporn.net/default.asp?page=n8eod) and there is an active MotoTrbo network in Michigan, which we will be presenting on as mentioned (see http://cmen.us/dmr/mi5/).

        There is great youtube videos out there on both systems.  It is far too much information to go into here on the differences, but would gladly meet you at a GRARA or LARC open radio room night and chat about it with you and anyone interested.

        I can bring along Trbo and D-Star radios if you wish to play, hear the audio.

        Both D-Star and Trbo radios will do analog channels.  So, if you are investing in a new radio, I recommend going with a digital radio based on one of the two formats.  Then you can play in the digital world and still do analog for Echolink, IRLP and Allstar.  Many repeaters in West Michigan have the combined EchoIRLP cards which allow Echolink and IRLP.  We are working to add this functionality to GRARA I believe.

        If you would like some demos, let me know, we can setup a night to meet at an open radio room and do it.  Tomorrow night I will be at LARC's open radio room in Lowell…

        We have good connections for Trbo radios via T&W Electronics in town or Sandy's Communications.  We get a discount because of our groups buying a bunch, so if you go that route, I can help you with pricing.

        Overall, both systems have +/-'s and that is what will be discussed some in November.  I don't believe you can go wrong either way, but it depends on what your goals are.  There is a lot more general chit-chat on D-Star currently and Trbo is more used for RACES and other server organizations, but has plenty of statewide coverage also.

        Feel free to fire questions back, or if you want off the list, hit me at kb8zgl at kb8zgl dot net

        Mike
        kb8zgl

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2013
          One additional thought:
          Note that MotoTrbo radios are single band only (UHF, VHF or 900mhz).  A D-star radio you can get in dual band.  So, if you are after analog dual band and digital dual band – I would checkout the D-STAR Icom products.

          The 80-AD and 92-AD are great radios!

          Mike
          kb8zgl

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 15, 2013
            I have a DStar and wish I hadn't wasted the money. It seems to really be on the decline, assuming it was ever anything more than a fad. I have never heard anything on the local repeater, couldn't find any in CT or NYC, and even in the hotspot in Atlanta it was sparse. Besides that its difficult to configure and a bit cantankerous

            Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2013
              Have you used any of the reflectors???  Lots of people on the reflectors for D-Star.  West Michigan is maybe a bit quiet locally, but lots of people on the REF and XRF reflectors!

              There is a great book out there I will have to find the title of on D-Star.

              Maybe we should do a presentation on D-Star reflectors and call sign routing and stuff.
              Mike
              kb8zgl

              From: <sfkaney@...>
              Date: Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:53 AM