Re: [GRARA] Scouting's 2013 Jamboree on the Air

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2013

      Let's be sure to get this weekend on the calendar, and invite one or more Boys Scout troops to join us at W8DC for a few JOTA contacts.  It would be good publicity, a great educational event for the Scouts, and good PR for the club.

      From the michiganscouting.org site
      2013 JOTA, JOTI Dates Announced

      Jamboree-on-the-Air and Jamboree-on-the-Internet will be held Oct. 19 and 20, 2013. JOTA and JOTI are annual World Scouting events that provide an opportunity for Scouts to communicate with other Scouts from around the world!

      72/73 de n8xx Hg
      QRP >99.44% Of the time

      Only a few electrons were a bit agitated while posting this message

      On 3/27/2013 2:35 PM, unclefesterman wrote:
      Look Here:

      [url] http://www.michiganscouting.org/News/2013JOTAJOTI [/url]

      Jerry KD8SRH

      No electrons were harmed in posting this message

    • John Streyle
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2013
        Sounds like a very worth-while hamming activity. The local council is

        We should get in touch with them, and set things up. (Got a few months to work on that.)

        W8QZ

        Sent from my iPad

        On Mar 27, 2013, at 4:12 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

        Let's be sure to get this weekend on the calendar, and invite one or more Boys Scout troops to join us at W8DC for a few JOTA contacts.  It would be good publicity, a great educational event for the Scouts, and good PR for the club.

        From the michiganscouting.org site
        2013 JOTA, JOTI Dates Announced

        Jamboree-on-the-Air and Jamboree-on-the-Internet will be held Oct. 19 and 20, 2013. JOTA and JOTI are annual World Scouting events that provide an opportunity for Scouts to communicate with other Scouts from around the world!

        72/73 de n8xx Hg
        QRP >99.44% Of the time

        Only a few electrons were a bit agitated while posting this message

        On 3/27/2013 2:35 PM, unclefesterman wrote:
        Look Here:

        [url] http://www.michiganscouting.org/News/2013JOTAJOTI [/url]

        Jerry KD8SRH

        No electrons were harmed in posting this message

      • unclefesterman
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 29, 2013
          Already on it.

          I just completed a year-and-a-half "working my tickets" period for Woodbadge (business-level Scouting management training), and one of my 5 ticket items, International Scouting, had a huge ham component.

          I first had to get a license! I've been "into" anything radio waves since I was 6. Ham license was, like so many, "next month", even though all I really had to learn was the ham-specific stuff (I had Commercial 1st-class in high school and later added microwave & radar). I got my Tech in time to help set up a HF station at the Michigan Int'l Camporee last July (my Troop hosted a unit from Budapest). General came later, only 47 years late. Gonna "test the waters" Saturday with the last test in Lowell.

          I put a huge chunk of research into JOTA. I was supposed to interview Scouts from at least 25 separate JOTA activities, but had to scrape the barrel to get 10. This is a shame, since JOTA should be a bigger ham recruiting tool than all other public activities combined.

          From surveys, I've found the biggest JOTA killers are PROPAGATION and POOR PLANNING-- and the two go hand in hand. The most common complaints were along the lines of, "All we did was watch some old guy fiddle with knobs & buttons" and "All that work studying to get a license, just to talk to Jenison?"

          Jumping to "NOW": the link posted the post before is dead; Lowe Peninsula is now "Michigan Crossroads Council", and the 616 & 231 area codes are the "President Ford Field Service Council". Website is [url]www.michiganscouting.org[/url]. It hits all 4 FSC's. Merger's been a PITA, but they're really pushing International Scouting statewide now, and I'm jockeying for a position on their committee.

          We can discuss this more at an upcoming meeting, but what I'm looking at and dialogueing with COuncikl is:

          For Grand Rapids area, a common location (Council?). The more other Scouts a Scout sees, the more interested he'll be. More radios and operators in one place means less of the dreaded "dead time". Opportunities for demos & presentations-- that QSL from the aircraft carrier Hornet, for example, carries a lot of weight with the Scouts. The new ATCS radio-based railroad signaling system does too, even though it's not ham. VHF/UHF hams should be DELIBERATELY PLACED all over the area who just "happen" to be on, doing something interesting, and/or have a story to tell. In short, everything planned.

          Scouting introduced a new International patch; it now involves some work beyond the old one. Cubs need ONE year's JOTA, Scouts and adults need TWO. So, demand for JOTA will go up.

          I'm currently discussing options for something at Council; so far there's been SOME interest in considering semi-permanent/permanent power for the parking lot, both 120 & 220. (we wouldn't be the only people using it). taht's wher it stands right now.

          Happy Easter!
          Jerry
          KD8SRH
        • w8qz
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 9, 2013
            QST ...- ...- ...-

            http://www.scouting.org/jota.aspx   What do we need to do as a club to get ready for JOTA (next week Saturday, the 19th)?

            I'm guessing that the main thing is to make sure we've got a good working HF setup(s), at the Red Cross. Seems like we should check that out in advance.

            Jim - what's the status of room(s) at the Red Cross for the 19th?

            Voice and PSK 31 seem like likely choices. If we're going to try and run 2 stations at once, we need to make sure they don't overload each other. What bands do we want to try?

            Do we want to have the scouts build a little 555-oscillator, and try sending a little code to each other (while they're waiting for a turn at the radio) ? What pieces will we need? Who's going to supervise that activity? Jerry said he had some of the pieces to do that - maybe a breadboard setup - no need to fuss with soldering - ?

            Any thoughts?

            John W8QZ

          • Bob Robinson

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013
                  John,

                  I talked to Tom about PSK last night, if we leave the HF station where it is in the shack we can do PSK. I will make sure next Wed. that the software and interface work. Well, the software anyway, I'm not sure how the interface works, but I'm sure Bob or Tom can instruct us on it.

                  Jack, AB8ND

[...]

                • gerry_k8ggl

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013
                      I wasn't planning to lead this - but just stir the pot, and get the "creative juices" flowing. Where's our on-air director? N8XX de W8QZ . . . . .?
                      Anyway, it sounds like we've got several options going. I like the idea of using an SDR radio - that could spark some interest in itself. Whoever runs it will need to be able to explain it at the appropriate level.
                      Be sure and take a look at the website link below, and especially the sub-page addressed to radio operators.

                      Can we get together Friday evening (the 18th) and check things out / get things set up?

                      W8QZ
                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 10, 2013
                        Bob, if you can get an IRLP station / link set up, that'd be great. I don't know anything about that. I assume there's some radio to all that, somewhere.
                        Or could we use the linking feature of the Lowell repeater?
                        John

                        Sent from my iPad

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 11, 2013

                          Okay, update from the Scouting end--

                          Fliers went out to all the Scouting Roundtables (adult leader monthly meetings/training/presentations-- THURSDAY.  The early session conflicts with some "Show and Do", so good thing we kept the evening session. I will be at Cub Hike (Cubs hike from event to event; my Troop is showing how to make 400+ bake apples)

                          Quick question: Can the CLub afford a few pizzas for the GRARA volunteers?

                          I don't expect Scout attendance to be very high, what with such late notice. But I really like each and every proposal/offer posted here, to the point where >> I << would like to see therm!  After all, all I have is a 2m/70cm handheld. Next year, if you-all don't declare all this a waste of time & effort, we could add attendance "lures" like prizes & drawings, sec.

                          I'll be at both sessions, of course. Do we have a sign-up list anywhere?

                          Jerry KD8SRH

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 14, 2013
                            So - Jerry KD8SRH, are you saying we should not expect to see a lot of Scouts for the 9 - 2 session? That implies we need more volunteers for the evening session, and fewer for the morning.

                            I'm guessing we will need 1 (at least) volunteer to 'watch the door' and guide the Scouts, etc. (perhaps help and guide them on a 555 code practice oscillator project / send a little code to each other), along with radio operators. The operators need to be able to work the equipment and make some HF contacts, involving the Scout(s) as much as possible. Let's hope the bands are in decent shape! I think we should try to have 2 HF stations running, if practical (1 voice, 1 PSK).

                            Bob Robinson - the IRLP idea sounds great . Is there a way we can run IRLP from a radio out of the Red Cross? Could we get permission to use the W8LRC repeater for JOTA? (There is a designated node for JOTA calling.) Whoever runs that will need to be able to explain how it works.

                            Jerry KD8SRH - Do you have the pieces for the code oscillator project?

                            Maybe we can sign-up via e-mail:

                            Morning session 1. W8QZ
                              9 - 2                   2.
                                                        3.

                            Evening session 1.W8QZ
                               6 - 9                 2.
                                                       3.
                                                       4.

                            John

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 15, 2013
                                John:

                                Looks like Saturday evening is largest need for volunteers?  I could help.  Time is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m?   Will there be someone there for access to the building?

                                One suggestion - perhpas we should have some "name badges" with a scouts "first name, troop number" unless all the folks are coming in Scout Uniforms?  Cheep, stick on badges would work fine.  And a "Working marker" definitely NOT like the ones which are typically in the room in the basement.

                                Oh, and we hams should wear our name badges, OR use one of the paste on name badges.  It's appalling to me that 80 to 90% of the members do NOT wear name badges @ our meetings.  They expect a dolt like me to remember names?  Shucks, I can't even remember MY name some daze.

                                On 10/15/2013 11:44 AM, k8ggl@... wrote:

[...]

                                < div>   6 - 9                 2.
                                                           3.
                                                           4.