Re: Tranceiver in a Laptop Demo from Dave Ed

  • mike_w8der
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2007
      All,

      I made a mistake. (I almost made it through the year without making
      one) Thanks to those of you who pointed it out.

      Dave Ed informs me that the Laptop Radio program he demonstrated at
      the last open radio room night can be found at:

      http://www.QSONet.com

      (NOT http://www.QSO.Net as I reported.)

      It is a program worth looking at during this low sunspot cycle.

      From the QSONet.com web site above comes the following description.

      What is QSONet?
      QsoNet uses the internet to receive audio signals from a ham radio
      transmitting station, then instantly reflects the audio back to all
      stations listening on that frequency. There is no RF. Everything is
      done over the internet. The result is a simulated ionosphere for
      worldwide amateur radio communication. Stations can use either.

      How does it work?
      QsoNet works with dialup, DSL and cable internet connections. There
      is no need to configure router ports. The network consists of an
      array of internet servers which provide streaming voip audio between
      stations. After installing transceiver software, QsoNet stations are
      connected to a central server by a single, outbound TCP connection.

      The Windows display looks like a real radio. It is cool. --- A
      tranceiver in a laptop with no network change with your home system.
      All you need is a computer with a sound card, speaker and microphone.

      The price is free for 90 days and $35 per YEAR thereafter. (I figure
      that 90 days will take me up to first spring Fox Hunt.)

      You must be a ham to talk over this system.

      We had a fun time playing with it at open radio room. The simulated
      tranceiver is awfully realistic. It shows still more ways that the
      internet and ham radio can work together.

      Thanks again to Dave Ed (AC8AB)for the demo at the last W8DC open
      radio room night. Dave is heading south for the winter. If someone
      else gets in going on their laptop, maybe they can demonstrate it at
      the next meeting.