Re: [GRARA] Stew Perry Top Band Challenge Dec 29/30

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
      Be sure to turn in your score!

      I had

                          Stew Perry Topband Challenge

      Call: N8XX

      Operator(s): N8XX
      Station: N8XX

      Class: Single Op QRP

      QTH: MICHIGAN
      Operating Time (hrs): 3

      Total:  QSOs = 67  Total Score = 318

      On 12/30/2012 7:40 AM, John Streyle wrote:
      Well, using a whopping 4 Watts, I managed to make 19 contacts with my fan-dipole-turned-into-a-top-loaded-vertical, and that in only about an hour's operating time - and none of that during gray-line conditions. Didn't work any DX, though.
      W8QZ

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 27, 2012, at 5:41 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

      The Stew Perry Top Band Challenge is this coming Weekend. It starts at
      1500Z December 29 and ends at 1500Z December 30. One may operate a
      maximum of 14 hours during the 24 hour period.

      The call 160 meters "Top Band" but I figure this will need adjusting,
      since we will soon have an allocation around 500 KHz, or 600 meters.
      But, for now, let's let sleeping lies dog (or some converse thereof).

      Details of this event may be found at
      http://www.kkn.net/stew/stew.rules.txt

      The scoring is a bit convoluted, and the scoring team does all the
      scoring, so I'm not worrying about how this is done.

      Categories are, High power up to 1.5 KW, Low Power 5 watts to 100 watts,
      or QRP <5 watts

      So, why not crank up the wavelength to about 166.666⅔ and give it "ye
      olde college try."

    • John Streyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
        I did submit my log via the 'type-it-on-a-webpage' thingy, but I've no idea what my trivial score might have been. Maybe it was in one of those other e-mails I deleted?

        Sent from my iPad

        On Dec 30, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

        Be sure to turn in your score!

        I had

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2012
          Hi, John:

          Good Show!

          In the eyes of a contest organizer, there ain't no "trivial scores."  I've even seen a score of "zero" reported - no comment in the "soapbox" are of the report.  I was on a team of ops where one op said he would be part time.  He managed 4 Q's, 16 points, but one of the Q's was disqualified for some reason, and his score was 9 points.

          Every entry shows interests in the contest, which helps the organizers.

          Scoring for this Top band Distance challenge is different from most other contests, in that there are no "section" or "state" or "zone" or Grid Square multipliers.  I had a hard time at first copying EN71, DN13, etc., without a 5NN coming first.  Hard habit to break!

          <snip>