Re: [GRARA] Small-quantity PCBs

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2012
      Thanks John:

      I'm "sorta" thinking about making an itty bitty PCB which would fit
      inside a 9 PIN RS232 plug to convert the RS232 DTR to a keying circuit.
      I've cobbled the things together without a board, but they generally
      don't last all that long. Folks who sell these things already made
      generally charge $30 or so, and the parts, one off construction, cost
      all of about $2.00.

      But, I've noticed that I was thinking about applying to "Procrastinators
      of America" a few years back, but have neglected to download an
      application form from their web site. I also heard talk about a
      national convention of that organization, but the convention has never
      materialized.

    • streyle.j@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
        I did one using a relay out of an old dial-up modem (a great source of cheap parts, if you can find them).
        Seems like it'd be a lot more useful to have that keying circuit hook to a USB port, since new computers don't have serial ports anymore.
        How do you do a hardware interface to USB?
        W8QZ

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
          John:

          There are things like "rig blasters" which work directly from a USB port for CW keying.  I think I saw a circuit for one in QST some time ago.  And, if memory serves correct, Cortland, KA5S, has such a commercial interface which plugs into a USB port for keying CW.

          These probably have circuits similar to what is in a USB to COM Port adapter plus the COM Port to CW keying adapter.  If one can convert a USB port to a COM port, there's no reason you can't incorporate that circuitry and programming into a USB to Keying circuit.

          When I think of it, isn't it strange that we use all sorts of complicated circuitry and computer hardware to merely turn a switch (key) which started out as a mechanical gadget back in the 1800's?  :)

          On 12/1/2012 9:43 AM, streyle.j@... wrote:

          I did one using a relay out of an old dial-up modem (a great source of cheap parts, if you can find them).
          Seems like it'd be a lot more useful to have that keying circuit hook to a USB port, since new computers don't have serial ports anymore.
          How do you do a hardware interface to USB?
          W8QZ

          I'm "sorta" thinking about making an itty bitty PCB which would fit inside a 9 PIN RS232 plug to convert the RS232 DTR to a keying circuit. I've cobbled the things together without a board, but they generally don't last all that long. Folks who sell these things already made generally charge $30 or so, and the parts, one off construction, cost all of about $2.00.

          But, I've noticed that I was thinking about applying to "Procrastinators of America" a few years back, but have neglected to download an application form from their web site. I also heard talk about a national convention of that organization, but the convention has never materialized.

          On 11/30/2012 8:38 PM, w8qz wrote:
          > Hank N8XX
          > - I think you asked some time back about getting small quantities of PC boards made. I noticed an ad in one of my engineering trade magazines recently -
          >
          > expresspcb.com
          >
          > The ad says "free layout software, free schematic software, 3 PCBs for $51". I have no experience with them, whether good or bad.
          >
          > An internet search yields the following websites that *sound* likely:
          >
          > pcbexpress.com
          > www.custompcb.com
          > www.instantpcbquote.com/online-pcb/pcb-prototypes.html
          > www.pcbnet.com/default.asp
          > www.4pcb.com/
          > www.sunstone.com
          >
          > If you build and get your project to work, let us know about it!
          > W8QZ

        • John Streyle
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
            Yep, I know about the 'Rig Blaster' - but to me that's too much of an 'appliance operator' concession - and I have a couple of those USB-to-serial converters, too; but it'd be useful to really understand the USB interface directly, down at the hardware level. Of course, there's also a software aspect to that, so the port/radio interfaces with other sw, etc.
            W8QZ

            Sent from my iPad

            On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:25 AM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

            John:

            There are things like "rig blasters" which work directly from a USB port for CW keying.  I think I saw a circuit for one in QST some time ago.  And, if memory serves correct, Cortland, KA5S, has such a commercial interface which plugs into a USB port for keying CW.

            These probably have circuits similar to what is in a USB to COM Port adapter plus the COM Port to CW keying adapter.  If one can convert a USB port to a COM port, there's no reason you can't incorporate that circuitry and programming into a USB to Keying

          • Steven Kaney
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
              There are a variety of chips that perform the interface in a variety of ways at the 'B' end.  There are also some micro controllers that talk USB as part of their on board IO.  If you are trying to 'roll your own' device, may I suggest the Arduino ATMEL based mini-boards available at radio shack or arduino.cc, maker shed.com, or seedstudio.com.  There are a variety of prototyping boards from the big 'mega' down to the tiny 'ardweeny'.  Most common is the UNO. There are a number of 'shield' boards that stack onto the arduino board that give a variety of capabilities or you can wire what you want on a prototype shield.  To my mind, this is the path of least resistance for something like this.  I have a couple of Arduino Leonardo's and Seeduino Stalker.

              de N7MUT/8