Sites, Sounds and Smells of Mt Athos. Rick NE8Z, Friday October 5

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
      Reminder: Grand Rapids ARA is proud to bring you "Sites, Sounds and
      Smells of Mt Athos"

      An audio-visual presentation by Dr Rick Dorsch, MD, NE8Z

      7:00 PM, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2012 , RED CROSS BUILDING, 1050 FULLER AVE
      NE, GRAND RAPIDS, MI

      Mount Athos is one of the most sought after DX contacts. Until last year
      the only contacts were on SSB. Rick,NE8Z, brought additional ham
      equipment, including a key and keyer.

      He lived for two weeks with Monk Appollo, SV2ASP/a, the only resident
      ham at the Monastary.

      If you've ever been on a DXpedition, or if you've never been on one,
      this is one unlike any other. When you step into the monastery, it's
      like going backwards in time at least 1000 years. Rick promises to
      relate to you the sights and sounds and smells of this very unique place.

      Maps to Red Cross HQ at
      http://goo.gl/maps/9gQZo
      Just enter your starting point, click the "Get Directions" button, and
      "voila, a map with specific directions."
      We will have talk in on the W8DC repeater 147.26 MHz, 94.8 Hz PL

      Note: Please pass this along to any other ham reflector to which you belong!
    • streyle.j@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
        All:

        I've reserved (3) tables for the Muskegon Hamfest, on October 13th, along with purchasing (2) advance admission tickets.
        I have my neighbor's trailer I will bring to haul stuff. I assume some of us will need to meet at K8EX's barn Friday evening (the 12th), to load up the 'stuff'. We'll need to decide on a time to meet there (now that more of us know how to find it!)
        KD8QNX has offered his pickup to pull the trailer, which will allow a bit more carrying capacity (using the pickup bed).
        Are there any other things we need to prepare for the Muskegon swap?

        W8QZ
      • gerry_k8ggl
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
          John, I think it was Frank KD8QXC who offered the truck (based on your conversation I heard on the repeater this afternoon).

          Gerry ~ K8GGL

        • streyle.j@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2012

            Yep, you're right - KD8QXC. Have to try harder to remember callsigns. Hope this isn't a trend - !

            W8QZ

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2012
              Remember, John,

              The second thing to go is memory.  I forget what the first thing was.