New NWS weather station at Holland State Park...

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2012
      Recently NOAA completed upgrading the Lake Michigan level gauge station
      in Holland. There is a great article about it at:

      http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/weeklynews/oct11/holland.html

      A few weeks ago when I was at the Holland State park, I had noticed the
      weather station. Hey who doesn't look at Rohn 25! I thought the small
      building next to it held electronic equipment. But it holds two lake
      level gauges. And the even neater part? You can read all the data at the
      station anytime:

      http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=hlnm4

      Take your time and look at all the data that is there for near real time
      and archived.

      But wait, there's more.

      In July, many local groups, with the help of Limnotech, deployed a
      weather buoy about 2 miles out into the big lake.
      Press release at:
      http://www.limno.com/pdfs/HollandBuoyPressRelease_071012.pdf

      A U of M link:
      http://uglos.engin.umich.edu/station_page.php?station=45029

      And its NWS data? Look at:
      http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45029

      These are some impressive weather stations for us to look at anytime.

      Anyone want to run a boat out to the buoy for a picture session?
      HLD-Hank ? :)

      Think the feds would notice a 3 element 2 meter beam on that Rohn 25? :)

      Tom Bosscher K8TB
    • kd8lzu
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2012
        Great info, thanks Tom!

        You can see the effect the wind has when the lake level rises and falls ever so slightly due to the wind "pulling" the water toward or away from the shore.

        One question that I had as I was looking at the data plot was, "What does inches above LWD mean?" The answer to that can be found here: http://glakesonline.nos.noaa.gov/faqglin.shtml

        73 everybody!

        KD8LZU
        Mitch J.