Re: Coverage of our field day in Mlive

  • ka5s
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 20 11:24 AM
      I felt compelled to answer "John Smith's" comments there deprecating our efforts.

      John Smith raises a concern often voiced inside the Amateur Radio community.

      However, it is  a spurious complaint. It doesn't MATTER that, once a year, we have fun doing things; operating without commercial power from locations that could be deprived of utilities and facilities, demonstrating we can contact other stations by actually doing so, and doing things as PRACTICE (and for fun), that we must be able to do in a real emergency.

      Years ago in California, our local Radio Club ran one Field Day outside the City offices and dispatch center, simulating setting up as if they had been made useless by an earthquake.

      And he deprecates hobbies, as if they do not teach useful skills.  Target shooting is a hobby. Occasionally, it is a skill valued for its military uses.  Occasionally, Amateur Radio operators find use doing for the Military when (sic -- should read "what")  it fails to train Soldiers -- or enough of them -- to do.  A small but highly trained number of Amateur radio operators are members of the Military Auxiliary Radio System, and THEY train to communicate not only in local emergencies, but with and between military and Federal stations with digital modes all of them share.   These folks, as I recall from 21 years in the Army, were often better communicators than the Signal Corps soldiers.

      A hobby? Perhaps. But not a Hobby Horse. On the way home from the Art Festival, stop by Calvin College and see us playing. Playing at what we may some time have to do <b>in earnest</b>.

      Oh, as to the PURPOSE of Amateur Radio, the FCC says it best:

      §97.1 Basis and purpose.-

      The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

      (a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

      (b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

      (c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.

      (d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

      (e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

      Source: http://www.arrl.org/part-97-amateur-radio#

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20 12:28 PM
        Ron, K8DMR sent out the info to several newspapers, so perhaps that's one of his setups?

        As Cortland says, Amateur Radio is a hobby, but it is defined by the Federal Communications Commission as the Amateur Radio Service - and has been defended against intrusion by that definition.  A very small number of our licensees devote a part of their time in training for, and actual operating in disaster recovery operations when "All Else Fails" (a subtitle of a brochure produced by the American Radio Relay League which will be @ the Field Day Site.)  The rest of us are free loaders, who enjoy privileges earned by these dedicated volunteers.

        73 de n8xx Hg

        p.s. To Cortland, KA5S:  You speak so eloquently in print - our church occasionally has need of a "fill-in" preacher - are you available? :)

        On 6/20/2012 6:42 AM, David wrote:
        Where did they get that picture?

        --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, "sprovost" <stprovost@...> wrote:

        hello, the link below is the story posted on mlive about field day this week.

        http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2012/06/ham_radio_operators_show_off_e.html

        stephen

      • Steven Kaney
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21 10:17 AM
          I was looking at the ARRL field day locator and it show that we do NOT have a GOTA.  Is that correct?

          de N7MUT/8

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21 10:18 AM
            What was the site where you get the Mesh S/W?  I now have 2 Linksys WRT54Gs ( a V1 and a V2).

            de N7MUT/8

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 21 8:44 PM

              I thought I was addressing this to Stephen but this web interface messes me up some times.

              de N7MUT/8