RE: [GRARA] Renewing License via Mail to FCC

  • Michael J. Wolthuis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012

      I would recommend just doing the renewal online through w5yi.

      http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=87

      You can pay with credit card or PayPal and they submit it immediately and take care of everything for you.  Cost is $8.00 for non-vanity.

      On another note, if you just wait for the mail to go through, he has a 2 year grace period to renew.  Information is on that same page.  Just can not use it while it is expired.

      Mike Wolthuis

      Kb8zgl

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012

        You can renew for free on the FCC website using the Universal Licensing System. I did it and it was easy. Here is a link to the info.

        http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=cft&id=amateur&page=cft_renew_amateur

        Mark B. N8PGV

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
          Tell that to my brother in law.  I showed him the FCC page, he didn't have one item needed, so he gave up.   He didn't bother telling me of the problem, so he now has about 5 weeks before his license will completely lapse. It expired on June 3, 2010.

        • R. Mark Barnett
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
            OUCH!!, It takes a bit of reading to figure it out. I have had a stroke, I'm missing more than a few marbles and I still figured it out! It takes some effort to look up your code to get into the system, but it REALLY isn't that hard.  Maybe he needs to drink a 6 pack then try... LOL

            Mark B. N8PGV

            From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@...>

            Tell that to my brother in law.  I showed him the FCC page, he didn't have one item needed, so he gave up.   He didn't bother telling me of the problem, so he now has about 5 weeks before his license will completely lapse. It expired on June 3, 2010.

          • Steven Kaney
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
              My degree is also in Physics and I can't figure it out either.

              de N7MUT/8

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
                Careful with that one, the site was programmed by one of those government geniuses.  I tried pasting in my FRN from the QRZ page but the FCC doesn't like that and pops a dialog box with only an OK choice.  Click the OK and it pops again.  That locks up the browser so you can't correct the problem or close the tab or go to a different tab or exit.  Had to kill the browser from the Task Manager.  Relaunch the browser and it continues where it left off.  Had to delete all my history, cookies, etc.

                Don't try and look up your FRN using their search function.  It does the same thing.

                Good one!!!  How are these geniuses ever going to manage Socialized Health Care?

                de N7MUT/8

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 26, 2012
                  My degree is in computer science, handy if you need someone who knows about Fortran, Pascal and punch cards... LOL

                  Mark B. N8PGV

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 27, 2012

                    Good gosh.  “Where’s the problem?”   I volunteered to help some of our club’s members renew their licenses. If the FCC’s server is slow, you will be there a  while. Me, I’d check back later, like 11AM to 2PM and not on a Friday or weekend.  I did this as a free offering to our elder members: the youngest was 67 and the oldest was 94.  Maybe this is some thing your clubs should offer it’s members and the Amateur community in general??

                    You just need a  trustworthy person to do it and one the members trust with their FRN number and password. Me, I print everything out, then maybe keep a record, if I suspect the member might lose the material.

                    Just a thought. If you want to increase interest in your club, offer more Ham stuff to the ham community.

                    Just my thoughts on the matter.

                    Rich K8JX

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 27, 2012
                      Rich:

                      Tell that to my knuckleheaded brother in law.  Whilst we were visiting them about 6 months ago, I looked up a couple local clubs in the Bloomington, Indiana area where he lives, looked up the telephone number of at least one of the ossifers of one of the clubs.  Also gave him the URL of the form 605 and the VEC 605 which he could have used.   I asked him a few months later when we were again visiting, he made some excuses, etc.

                      I'm 99.44% sure that one or more of officers in one of the clubs in his area would have helped him with the renewal.  But, about a month ago I noted he hadn't renewed, so I downloaded a FCC form 605, filled it out, sent it to him for signature with a self addressed envelope.  I check about 2 weeks ago, sent him an e-mail,  He responded that he hadn't sent it in, that he has procrastinated so long that his wife accidentally discarded the envelope.  I provided him an address for FCC again.   He finally responded last week saying he had been engrossed in a "spreadsheet for his Federal Income taxes and forgot about sending it in until after April 17.   (I chided him for the nth time that Turbo Tax or Tax Act would have saved him hours of reading the IRS forms about changes since last year, but he's too cheep to pay $30 to $50 for software.)

                      The problem is NOT that I'm not willing to help, or that folks in his city aren't willing to help.

                      I still don't know for sure whether 5 weeks is enough time for FCC to act for a paper renewal request.  ARRL HQ thinks it probably will, but said I should check in about 2 weeks if it hasn't issued.  Typical turn around for VEC response is within days, so 2 weeks is their "best guess" as to what will happen to a paper 605 renewal form.

                      73 de n8xx Hg

                      p.s. I can't figure out for the life of me why people keep ragging me about "use the internet"  I specifically did NOT ask how to do that, I asked if anyone has filed manually via mail, yet people keep babbling along about "use W5YI" or "do it on the internet" etc.

                      On 4/27/2012 11:11 AM, Richard MI Ranta wrote: Good gosh.  “Where’s the problem?”   I volunteered to help some of our club’s members renew their licenses. If the FCC’s server is slow, you will be there a  while. Me, I’d check back later, like 11AM to 2PM and not on a Friday or weekend.  I did this as a free offering to our elder members: the youngest was 67 and the oldest was 94.  Maybe this is some thing your clubs should offer it’s members and the Amateur community in general??

                      You just need a  trustworthy person to do it and one the members trust with their FRN number and password. Me, I print everything out, then maybe keep a record, if I suspect the member might lose the material.

                      Just a thought. If you want to increase interest in your club, offer more Ham stuff to the ham community.

                      Just my thoughts on the matter

                      Rich K8JX

                    • Jack Amelar
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 28, 2012
                        Could just be the case your brother-in-law no longer has interest in
                        Amateur radio!
                        Having said that, it is still short sighted not to renew. I've met a
                        number of former hams over the years, including some retired folks,
                        that regret not keeping the license.
                        Ultimately, that's a personal decision.

                        73 Jack NY8D

                        ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------