New guy here

  • jonvdb1
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
      Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?

      I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?

      Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)

      Jon
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
        Welcome to the group Jon:

        CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
        come back easily.

        I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
        daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
        "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
        see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

        10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
        believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
        metres, if CW floats your boat.

        73 de n8xx Hg

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
          One more thing

          Frequency allocation chart for various bands can be found at
          http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Hambands-color.pdf

          or, if that gets truncated
          http://tinyurl.com/6yqkmzz

          73 de n8xx Hg

          On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
          > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
          >
          > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
          >
          > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
          >
          > Jon
        • Jon Vandenberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
            Lol, not only knew it once, got a CW WAS back in the day.

            I passed Novice, then General back in the '80's.  I figured Tech would be an easy start if I were to brush up on band permissions and some schematic symbols?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to build a lot of things and figured schematics would come back easy.

            Are there any local stores carrying any gear or gadgets?

            Thanks,

            Jon Vandenberg

            On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

            Welcome to the group Jon:

            CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
            come back easily.

            I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
            daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
            "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
            see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

            10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
            believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
            metres, if CW floats your boat.

            73 de n8xx Hg

            On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
            > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
            >
            > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
            >
            > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
            >
            > Jon

          • W8DER
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
              Welcome to the GRARA site Jon,

              There are no local ham stores, but the internet has all you want.  My favorite is Amateur Electronic Supply in Wisconsin.  http://www.aesham.com/  I order from them in the morning and the equipment is here the next morning.

              Also, you cannot beat eBay prices for connectors, cables, etc.  It is a direct line to Asia.

              If you want to check out the Technician test pool, go to http://www.qrz.com and find your way to practice tests.  (Free stuff)

              Your name sounds familiar, Jon, but I cannot place you yet.  I am working on it.

              Mike Hill

              Lol, not only knew it once, got a CW WAS back in the day.

              I passed Novice, then General back in the '80's.  I figured Tech would be an easy start if I were to brush up on band permissions and some schematic symbols?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to build a lot of things and figured schematics would come back easy.

              Are there any local stores carrying any gear or gadgets?

              Thanks,

              Jon Vandenberg

              On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

              Welcome to the group Jon:

              CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
              come back easily.

              I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
              daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
              "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
              see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

              10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
              believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
              metres, if CW floats your boat.

              73 de n8xx Hg

              On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
              > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
              >
              > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
              >
              > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
              >
              > Jon

            • K8TB
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
                Jon,

                    Since you already passed the general in the past, studying for the tech should be easy. Today, with the net, it is even easier. Here are some of the online sites that let you study and take the tests. Quite frankly, I would recommend that you take the tech, pause a month or two and take the general. Then come January, you might want to go for the extra!

                Online Testing:

                http://aa9pw.com/                      http://hamexam.org/

                http://www.eham.net/exams/                   http://kb0mga.net/exams/

                http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl         http://copaseticflow.blogspot.com/

                http://www.radioexam.org/                                      http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html

                http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=5626

                    Try one or two of these and see how you do. If you start out with a 35% passing rate, congrats, you fall in line with most of us.

                And make sure you let the collective here know how you have done.

                    tom K8TB

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 21, 2011
                  Jon:

                  Why don't you visit one of the many "practice sites" for FCC tests, and see how you do on the general test.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  I know I was when I looked at the Extra test a few years back, I found I got 85% (70% is passing), even though I took the test back in the 50's when transistors were very experimental, one had to draw schematic diagrams of tube rigs, SSB was prevalent but still rather new, etc.

                  In no particular order,

                  http://aa9pw.com/radio/

                  http://www.radioexam.org/exam

                  http://www.eham.net/exams/

                  Good luck!

                  Where do you live?  If you live within striking distance of Rockford, Let me know and maybe we can get together over a cuppa cafe?

                  And, if you're available at noon on Friday, there's a lunche bunche of hams who meet at Schnitz' South, 1529 Langley St Grand Rapids, MI 49508,  They have sandwiches, soup, etc., all very good.  We'd love to have you attend - after you order just go to the back room and you'll see a motley group of folks on a long table.  Introduce yourself and chime in!

                  73 de n8xx Hg

                  p.s. if you need ideas on "stealth antennae" I ran one for almost a year when I lived in an apartment in Cincinnati.  The only problem was that it was made from #28 wire, and occasionally birds would crash into it and bring it down.

                  On 10/21/2011 4:13 PM, Jon Vandenberg wrote:
                  Lol, not only knew it once, got a CW WAS back in the day.

                  I passed Novice, then General back in the '80's.  I figured Tech would be an easy start if I were to brush up on band permissions and some schematic symbols?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to build a lot of things and figured schematics would come back easy.

                  Are there any local stores carrying any gear or gadgets?

                  Thanks,

                  Jon Vandenberg

                  On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

                  Welcome to the group Jon:

                  CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
                  come back easily.

                  I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
                  daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
                  "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
                  see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

                  10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
                  believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
                  metres, if CW floats your boat.

                  73 de n8xx Hg

                  On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
                  > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
                  >
                  > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
                  >
                  > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
                  >
                  > Jon
                • Jon Vandenberg

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 22, 2011
                      Jon,  sounds like you are on your way.  We have an Extra Class License training starting the First Wednesday in January.  Check out http://www.w8dc.org  License testing is at the Red Cross on the second Friday each month.  See http://www.w8dc.org/grr_license_testing/license_testing.htm

                      Mike Hill, W8DER

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
                        Name familiar??? Are you an ex-councilman?

                        For my location in a condo project I am thinking my best antenna is going to be a multiband inverted V.  I will probably just buy one pre-made from ebay.

                        Thanks,

                        Jon Vandenberg

                        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM, W8DER <mike@...> wrote:

                        Welcome to the GRARA site Jon,

                        There are no local ham stores, but the internet has all you want.  My favorite is Amateur Electronic Supply in Wisconsin.  http://www.aesham.com/  I order from them in the morning and the equipment is here the next morning.

                        Also, you cannot beat eBay prices for connectors, cables, etc.  It is a direct line to Asia.

                        If you want to check out the Technician test pool, go to http://www.qrz.com and find your way to practice tests.  (Free stuff)

                        Your name sounds familiar, Jon, but I cannot place you yet.  I am working on it.

                        Mike Hill

                        Lol, not only knew it once, got a CW WAS back in the day.

                        I passed Novice, then General back in the '80's.  I figured Tech would be an easy start if I were to brush up on band permissions and some schematic symbols?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to build a lot of things and figured schematics would come back easy.

                        Are there any local stores carrying any gear or gadgets?

                        Thanks,

                        Jon Vandenberg

                        On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

                        Welcome to the group Jon:

                        CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
                        come back easily.

                        I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
                        daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
                        "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
                        see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

                        10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
                        believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
                        metres, if CW floats your boat.

                        73 de n8xx Hg

                        On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
                        > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
                        >
                        > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
                        >
                        > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • Charles Rich
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2011
                          Hi Jon,
                          I am not an EX councliman.   BUT - My son, Craig was a councilman and  Mayor Pro-Tem of the City Of Holland for 25 years, or so.

                          Chuck, W8GCW

                          CHECK MY PROFILE AT WWW.QRZ.COM
                          Be sure to check out my Ham Radio Page AT http://chuckrich.net/radio.htm
                          Licensed by the FCC since 1950

                          Lol, not only knew it once, got a CW WAS back in the day.

                          I passed Novice, then General back in the '80's.  I figured Tech would be an easy start if I were to brush up on band permissions and some schematic symbols?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used to build a lot of things and figured schematics would come back easy.

                          Are there any local stores carrying any gear or gadgets?

                          Thanks,

                          Jon Vandenberg

                          On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

                          Welcome to the group Jon:

                          CW is optional these daze, but if you knew it once, it probably will
                          come back easily.

                          I've heard, but can't prove it, that if you pass the Tech License now a
                          daze, but have passed it anytime in the past, you can get automagically
                          "grandfathered" to General Class. Check with the folks who are VE's to
                          see if my info is still correct - it is several years olde.

                          10 metres SSB and CW are both permitted for Tech Licensees, I do
                          believe. There are CW allocation for Technicians on 15, 40, and 80
                          metres, if CW floats your boat.

                          73 de n8xx Hg

                          On 10/21/2011 2:55 PM, jonvdb1 wrote:
                          > Back in the '80's, I was N8DOL. Now, I'm nothing, back to square one I guess. I did grab a TenTec Omni-D off Ebay and am looking to get started again. I understand that I don't have regain my CW skills for licensing now, correct?
                          >
                          > I also seem to see I could get on 10 meters with a Tech license?
                          >
                          > Now to find a decent dipole and get our condo group to let me string one. ;-)
                          >
                          > Jon

                        • Jon Vandenberg