Radio Room and Meeting Notice

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
      There will be NO Open Radio Room this week due to the impending
      weather and the man with the key is a wimp.

      Friday is the regular meeting 6:30 pm coffee clutch and 7 pm meeting.
      I believe Ryan, KB8RCR will be speaking.

      Jack, AB8ND
    • David Brace
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
        On 2/1/2011 8:32 AM, Jack Kunnen wrote:

        There will be NO Open Radio Room this week due to the impending
        weather and the man with the key is a wimp.

        Friday is the regular meeting 6:30 pm coffee clutch and 7 pm meeting.
        I believe Ryan, KB8RCR will be speaking.

        Jack, AB8ND

        Jack
        Don't you think we should be there to back up FEMA and all the emergency teams that are mobilizing for the blizzard of the century according to WZZM weather reports? (LOL)

        73

        Dave B  W8RUZ
      • ab8nd@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
          Yes, but that should be a Red Cross call out. Plus if it is a storm and not the weather service crying wolf again the fewer vehicles on the road to be rescued the better.

          Jack, AB8ND

          From: David Brace <penmaker1@...>
          Sender: GRARA@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:33:03 -0500
          To: <GRARA@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: GRARA@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [GRARA] Radio Room and Meeting Notice

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
            On 2/1/2011 9:33 AM, David Brace wrote:

            On 2/1/2011 8:32 AM, Jack Kunnen wrote:

            There will be NO Open Radio Room this week due to the impending
            weather and the man with the key is a wimp.

            Friday is the regular meeting 6:30 pm coffee clutch and 7 pm meeting.
            I believe Ryan, KB8RCR will be speaking.

            Jack, AB8ND

            Jack
            Don't you think we should be there to back up FEMA and all the emergency teams that are mobilizing for the blizzard of the century according to WZZM weather reports? (LOL)

            73

            Dave B  W8RUZ
            I agree with you Jack I was being sarcastic about the media over blow,  I am still waiting for the first snowflake.

            73
            DaveB
          Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
            For those who are sarcastic about the impending weather, and more so about emergency preparedness, please remember the Blizzard of January 1978......

            I don't know how it was here in Michigan, but in SW Ohio we had an estimated 7" of sn*w, which wouldn't be a problem normally, but it was preceded by about 2" of frozen rain, which collected on streets and highways.  Combined with 40+ MPH winds, there were drifts of more than 3 feet on top of glare ice.  No one except folks with 4WD vehicles were permitted on the roads for more than 24 hours, and on side streets for several more days.  The City and county offices were shut down except for emergency personnel.  My employer was closed except for security and maintenance personnel for the first time in about 150 years - except once when a flood hit the Ohio River and its tributary, causing 8' of water in the manufacturing plant (in 1937). I was fortunate to have a neighbor with 4WD vehicle, he took me to Red Cross hq, and some 36 hours later I was relieved of duty when help arrived.  We communicated for police and national guard, who had their own communications but couldn't cross communicate.  National Guard vehicles were taking medicine to the home bound, supplying ambulance service to communities without 4WD equipment, etc.  This lasted for 3 days until most of the roads were cleared. We also communicated with Ohio Disaster Services in Columbus, OHio on HF.  One new licensee got his baptism by fire whilst receiving a 140+ word message from State DSA to Hamilton County on the Ohio Single Sideband Net.

            Yup, we get complacent, pooh pooh emergency preparedness, but in SW Ohio, as late as 2004 we were needed to do damage assessment. In 1999 a tornado wiped out communications to whole communities, in 1997 a flood along the Ohio River and tributaries caused the telephone system to become non existent in some places, and overloaded in many places so the only emergency communications were via amateur radio.  Even cell phones were useless when a worker at a shelter insisted on using his phone for hours, while a supply truck was being loaded with supplies.  I had to travel some 30 miles out of my way from another shelter to tell the "clown" to get off his phone so he could advise what supplies were actually needed.

            Yes, we all think communications links are 100% reliable now a daze, but all too frequently their deficiencies are brought to light.

            Lettuce knot forget one of the main reasons amateur radio exists - to provide communications when all else fails.

            We have the Red Cross Communications Team, in need of more volunteers.  IF we were called out by Red Cross, who would have enough training in handling emergency communications to be of service?

            73 de n8xx Hg
            On 2/1/2011 8:32 AM, Jack Kunnen wrote:
            There will be NO Open Radio Room this week due to the impending  weather and the man with the key is a wimp.

            Friday is the regular meeting 6:30 pm coffee clutch and 7 pm meeting.

            I believe Ryan, KB8RCR will be speaking.

            Jack, AB8ND

          • Dave Ed
            Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
              Jack,
               I could not see that bad weather coming as I look at my outdoor thermometer and see its 77 degrees and sunny at 11:30 AM Tuesday.  Maybe you all should come on down to Florida,
              Dave
              AC8AB

              Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011
                Dave,

                You are Mean.
                Hope all is well down there.

                Actually, the way my knees are this winter, I'm thinking about a warm dry place next year.

                Jack, AB8ND

                Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

                  It hit 83 in central Florida today.  I see the bad weather coming when it will drop to the mid 50's tonight!  In all fairness, I hope all of you and especially my children and grandchildren are safe during the bad weather in Michigan.
                  -Gator