WEAVER'S WORDS -- Special Request for Congress

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
      Note from N8XX:

      It would be nice if the IRS could be induced to allow charitable deduction of
      at least 50% of the amount allowed for business,  This would be ~25¢ per
      mile, which would cover at least the cost of gasoline and general maintenance.

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
        Hank Greeb wrote:

        > Note from N8XX:
        >
        > It would be nice if the IRS could be induced to allow charitable
        > deduction of
        > at least 50% of the amount allowed for business, This would be ~25¢ per
        > mile, which would cover at least the cost of gasoline and general
        > maintenance.

        Hank and all

        The IRS does allow mileage for charitable use of vehicles. It is not as
        much as the business deduction, but I believe this year it is around
        15-16c per mile. If you do your own taxes (a huge mistake) look for
        this in the area of charitable contributions, If you use a tax preparer
        be sure to tell him/her and have documentation of the miles driven and
        the name(s) of the charity involved.

        73 and happy DXing

        deW8RUZ - Dave
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
          Yup, I agree that we can deduct 14 cents per mile.  But for a standard size car, or even my itty bitty compact car, it hardly covers gasoline, much less wear and tear plus depreciation.  You will note that the rate hasn't been changed for 13 years, yet gasoline prices have gone up, along with repair rates, etc..

          73 de n8xx Hg

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              GRARA-digest@yahoogroups.com
              GRARA-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • David Brace
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
            Hank Greeb wrote:

            > Yup, I agree that we can deduct 14 cents per mile. But for a standard
            > size car, or even my itty bitty compact car, it hardly covers
            > gasoline, much less wear and tear plus depreciation. You will note
            > that the rate hasn't been changed for 13 years, yet gasoline prices
            > have gone up, along with repair rates, etc..
            >
            > 73 de n8xx Hg
            >
            > On 9/3/2010 9:48 AM, David Brace wrote:
            >
            >> Hank Greeb wrote:
            >>

            >>> Note from N8XX:
            >>>
            >>> It would be nice if the IRS could be induced to allow charitable
            >>> deduction of
            >>> at least 50% of the amount allowed for business, This would be ~25¢ per
            >>> mile, which would cover at least the cost of gasoline and general
            >>> maintenance.

            You have a valid point, but in my 40+ years of dealing with the Idiot
            and Retard Society. Nothing Congress says or does will change their
            minds. In case you have not been exposed to the fact, They are
            convinced that they are a law unto themselves immune from everyone and
            everything.
            I'm not bitter hi hi, just so glad I no longer have to fight with
            them. 14c is slightly better than a kick in the head though hi hi

            Dave
          • Charles Rich
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
              Ironically, business mileage is much more -- Seems that business people are (hopefully) making money driving, and getting a bigger tax break than us "poor" volunteers.  Business mileage deduction is FIFTY CENTS!!!

              I can't drive my Honda CRV for 14 Cents.
              Chuck, W8GCW

              WE ARE ONE OF WEST MICHIGAN'S PIONEER WEDDING VIDEOGRAPHERS, IN BUSINESS SINCE 1992. WE ALSO SERVE CORPORATE, COMMERCIAL AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES WITH CUSTOM VIDEO PRODUCTION.

              VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT www.chuckrich.net

              Be sure to check out my Ham Radio Page. Licensed by the FCC since 1950

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
                I've been told, perhaps incorrectly, but by several sources, that the mileage rate for non profits is fixed by law, not the IRS.  That's why the congress needs to get involved.

                I'll double check with my sources, including a CPA, and get back if this is incorrect.

                73 de n8xx Hg

                On 9/3/2010 12:59 PM, David Brace wrote:
                You have a valid point, but in my 40+ years of dealing with the Idiot and Retard Society.  Nothing Congress says or does will change their minds.  In case you have not been exposed to the fact, They are convinced that they are a law unto themselves immune from everyone and everything.

                I'm not bitter hi hi, just so glad I no longer have to fight with them.   14c is slightly better than a kick in the head though  hi hi

                Dave
              • R. Mark Barnett
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
                  WELL, with a REALLY good kick in the head you could go on disability and really enjoy those Ren & Stempy cartoons (or maybe even CSPAN) while eating Fruit Loops!    It might even help some on 40M.....

                  Increasing those deductions might inadvertently help a church here and there and I'm sure that would be abhorrent to them... as there is no other god than the IRS.... (praise their name forever)  It would be logical and FAIR to AT LEAST keep up with inflation for the sake of non-religious groups who's workers use these deductions..... YES I will try to write, but I'm not holding my breath on a fix!

                  I think the IRS does a really good job, praise their name forever!  You have to admit the IRS (praise their name forever) IS more effective than congress.... But I digress further off topic..sorry...

                  Mark B. N8PGV  I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks....as all honest folk do....

                  PS.... In all fairness Carl Levin is a great guy, and I can see him helping....