Re: [GRARA] Field Day

  • David Brace
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
      Jack Kunnen wrote:

      > Dave,
      >

      > We have tents, but a canopy would be nice to have up, but we can't put
      > in any stakes in the ground if it requires them - something about an
      > elephant getting electrocuted once.
      >

      > Jack, ab8nd
      >

      > On Jun 21, 2010, at 10:53 AM, penmaker1@...
      > <mailto:penmaker1@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I have a 10x10 canopy if it can be used at the field day. Don't want
      >> to drag it along if it won't be used, but glad to lend it for the
      >> week end. Let me know if I should bring it Sat. Morning.
      >> W8RUZ-Dave

      Jack: I have weights instead of spikes, It can be set up on concrete
      if you choose. I'll toss it in the car and see you there.

      Dave
      W8RUZ
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
        We could use small plastic stakes, like tent stakes, but definitely NOT big stakes like are used to hold down an elephant.

        I plan to use four small steaks for my enclosed canopy.  I don't want to have it blown away - but the small steaks don't do much for a 50+ MPH wind like we had last year - which caused a catastrophic failure of my canopy.  :)

        72/73 de n8xx Hg

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
          I put W8DC on the map just now, but it doesn't appear as yet. I'll try
          to check tomorrow, but please, pretty please, check the ARRL web site
          Field Day Locator at http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator and see if it
          shows up okay for you. If not, I'll but HQ to find out how I screwed
          things up.

          73 de n8xx Hg
        • Cortland Richmond
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
            Steaks? Shouldn't that be spelled "canape" then?

            Cortland

            I plan to use four small steaks for my enclosed canopy.
            .

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
              You got me!  I'll remember the Korrekt Speling in the few-chur.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 22, 2010
                  ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------

                  > I put W8DC on the map just now, but it doesn't appear as yet.
                   I'll try
                  > to check tomorrow, but please, pretty please, check the ARRL web
                  site
                  > Field Day Locator at http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator and see
                  if it
                  > shows up okay for you.  If not, I'll but HQ to find out how I
                  screwed
                  > things up.
                  >
                  > 73 de n8xx Hg

                  ----- End message from n8xx@... -----

                  When I posted the Field Day information for Lowell W8LRC, it appeared
                  right away. As of this morning, I don't see the GRARA W8DC FD site.

                  73 Jack NY8D
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 22, 2010
                    Jack:

                    Yep, I suppose that because I entered the data at "Ø-dark thirty" last
                    evening, the message came back to me "Your entry will be reviewed by HQ
                    Staff before it is put on the web site".

                    If it doesn't show up by early afternoon, I'll call HQ and inquire whatsup.

                    73 de n8xx Hg

                    On 6/22/2010 8:37 AM, Jack Amelar wrote:
                    > ----- Message from n8xx@... ---------
                    >

                    >> I put W8DC on the map just now, but it doesn't appear as yet. I'll try to check tomorrow, but please, pretty please, check the ARRL web site
                    >> <snip>
                  • KD8CAN
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 19, 2011
                      Hi Guys
                      We have permissiom to use the Red Cross generator for Field Day.
                      Will need someone with a truck and others to help load and unload it.
                      We can set up at time Sat morning to meet at The Red Cross.
                      Thanks
                      Jim KD8CAN
                    • Kathleen-
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 19, 2011
                        Hey Jim- When the guys are done with the generator please fefill with gas and add "stable" to the gas so it will stay fresh- No telling when it will be used again-
                        On another note- I will not be attending GRARA's FD as I will be participating in the  FD effort for the Tri-County ARES/RACES event at Grose Park.

                        You are in charge to make sure our equipment is handled safely and care is taken-
                        Have you and Ray got on D-Star yet??  Let me know when you plann on it and I might join in- JB

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 21, 2011
                          I will be bringing my 1KW Honda – it's QUIET!

                          Cortland

                          --- In GRARA@yahoogroups.com, "KD8CAN" <jm_leys@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Guys
                          > We have permissiom to use the Red Cross generator for Field Day.
                          > Will need someone with a truck and others to help load and unload it.
                          > We can set up at time Sat morning to meet at The Red Cross.
                          > Thanks
                          > Jim KD8CAN

                        • pobox740
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 17, 2013
                            Hello to all my ham friends in West Michigan.
                            I will be joining the Tampa ARC for field day this weekend.
                            The Tampa club call is N4TB.
                            I will be SSB op from 23:00-01:00 (7:00 P.M.-9:00 P.M.)Saturday night.
                            If interested in trying for a contact, please email me.
                            kb8afs@...
                            73's and good luck in the contest.
                            Timothy kb8afs
                          • KD8CAN
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 26, 2013
                              Every FD is a learning experience, that is not a bad thing. If everything was perfect, what fun we would miss.
                              We had a great site and the weather was good. There was lots of visitors asking about what was going on.
                              Great friends and food, don't get no better. Life is good. I think our Club is more about having fun then wining contests. Hank did a fine job getting things set up, getting cars moved, etc. Many thanks to Bob Moe for having the do-dads that the rest of us always seem to forget.
                              Myself, I had a positive good time.
                              Jim Leys
                              KD8CAN
                            • Jack Amelar
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 26, 2013
                                I couldn't make it this year, but I wanted to comment on Jim's statement.
                                "Great friends and food, don't get no better. Life is good. I think our
                                Club is more about having fun then wining contests."

                                About 30 years I and another ham friend stopped at a GRARA FD operation
                                being held behind the Red Cross building, a grass field back then. The
                                operators involved were there to win and didn't tolerate well visitor
                                distractions. Short story, we just plain left.
                                It would be some years before I ever attended another GRARA function or
                                came to a meeting. By then the people involved in the FD apparently had
                                decided GRARA wasn't serious enough for them as I never saw any of them
                                again.

                                I'm just reiterating Jim's point is to enjoy ourselves. If the GRARA
                                membership ever decides to become a hard core serious club, it will
                                gain some folks, and loose others. Myself, I prefer Jim's way.

                                73 Jack NY8D

                                ----- Message from jm_leys@... ---------
                                Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:27:38 -0000
                                From: KD8CAN <jm_leys@...>
                                To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                                ----- End message from jm_leys@... -----
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 26, 2013
                                  A few general comments about Field Day, and the rationale therefore.

                                  from the rules available @ http://www.arrl.org/fieldday :

                                  2 Object:To work as many stations as possible on any and all amateur bands (excluding the 60, 30, 17, and 12-meter bands) and in doing so to learn to operate in abnormal situations in less than optimal conditions.

                                  A premium
                                  is placed on developing skills to meet the challenges of emergency preparedness as well as to acquaint the general public with the capabilities of Amateur Radio.  (emphasis added by N8XX)

                                  We pay scan attention to the part about developing skills, and could to better at acquainting the general public with Amateur Radio.

                                  There were only 10 operators who signed in to the three HF stations.   I don't have a list of operators of the VHF station, but it's encouraging that Dave, KF8QL, reports that several operators "took the dive" and made contacts for the very first time in a contest setting, and one may have made his very first ham radio contact. We will have a full report at our next meeting in August.

                                  It would appear that Bob Moe, AC8ZX, is the "winner" with the most contacts made while one of the SSB stations was logged in with his call.  Congrats, Bob!  You did good!

                                  Why are there twice to three times as many hams at Field day as operators?  Are these people afraid of the key or the microphone?  As we say repeatedly, we're not in the event for score, we're in to have fun.  Do we need to twist people's arms? Offer prizes for newbies who make a certain number of contacts?  Have a "recruiting officer" in charge of recruiting people who haven't operated Field Day in the past "N" years (where N could be any number from 1 to 3 or so)?

                                  We are affiliated with Red Cross, they host our Club Station, they provide us with a meeting room.  Two Red Cross officials came out to visit us and support us, even did some of the "light lifting" during the setup part of our field day.  They allowed us to use one of their Emergency Response Vehicles and two additional generators.

                                  Proficiency in making contact, operating under adverse conditions of climate, propagation, atmospherics (QR), interference from adjacent stations (QR), etc. is one of the skills highly valued by Red Cross and other organizations dedicated to ameliorating the ravages of natural or man made disasters.  And, the first premise of Ham Radio, as defined in the preface to Part 97 Section 1A of the FCC regulations is
                                  (quoting from http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Part%2097%20-%2004-28-2011.pdf):

                                  a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications. (again, emphasis added by N8XX)

                                  I have no quarrel with folks who come out for the camaraderie, food, and chit chat with fellow hams. But, may I suggest that we consciously attempt to encourage more operators to actually make a few contacts?  Doing so isn't rocket science, we all have to learn somehow, some way, some day.

                                  Except during W8DC Field Day 2013

                                • Steven Kaney
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 26, 2013
                                    First of all, criticism was requested and I gave an honest answer as did several others before
                                    I even saw the request.

                                    What is demonstrated here is:
                                    1) We cant take honest criticism
                                    2) by and large we cant demonstrate core ham radio competencies as evidenced by
                                    the inability to put up effective antennas, the inability to keep RF out of the shack, the
                                    inability to use proper ham jargon instead of CB jargon, the inability to properly setup
                                    our logging software, etc.
                                    3) the inability to learn as evidenced by not being able to apply lessons to next years
                                    effort or even being able to reproduce one years successes the next year. (And what can
                                    we be teaching with antennas and stations that couldn't possibly perform?)

                                    We did well with picking a nice location with clean restrooms and with consuming pizza
                                    (provided by others).  So lets just go have a picnic and socialize and not waste time setting
                                    up radio stations that can't perform and cant teach anyone anything, or are we such social
                                    misfits that we can't interact without being surrounded with toys to take the pressure off ?

                                    Note that there is a wide spectrum between what we are doing and being a completely gung
                                    ho and intolerant full contest station. I am suggesting that a 'Radio' club should be able to
                                    demonstrate some core competencies in radio.  And by the way, the person that seemed to be
                                    running the CW ops WAS one of those intolerant people you are railing against (Hank wasn't
                                    running it from what I could see).

                                    de N7MUT/8

                                    Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:27:38 -0000
                                    From: KD8CAN <jm_leys@...>
                                    To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                                    > Every FD is a learning experience, that is not a bad thing. If
                                    > everything was perfect, what fun we would miss.
                                    > We had a great site and the weather was good. There was lots of
                                    > visitors asking about what was going on.
                                    > Great friends and food, don't get no better. Life is good. I think
                                    > our Club is more about having fun then wining contests. Hank did a
                                    > fine job getting things set up, getting cars moved, etc. Many thanks
                                    > to Bob Moe for having the do-dads that the rest of us always seem to
                                    > forget.
                                    > Myself, I had a positive good time.
                                    > Jim Leys
                                    > KD8CAN

                                    ----- End message from jm_leys@... -----

                                  • wd8ozs
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 26, 2013
                                      It would appear that Bob Moe, AC8ZX, is the "winner" with the most contacts made while one of the SSB stations was logged in with his call.  Congrats, Bob!  You did good!
                                      Hank,
                                      There is no "winner", Everyone that operated Mike's K8EX radio was using the computer hooked to it and it was setup as AC8ZX call and was not changed during field day operations. There were many different operators, and some of us were not excellent contest operators. But we did have a very good and worthwhile time. We need to learn to use N1MM better so we can change operators names and use other program nuances. I am very sorry that some persons felt that we were "amateur" amateurs.
                                      73, Bob AC8ZX

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
                                        Yeah, Bob:

                                        I know, but I trust the fact that the crew @ Mike's rig thought about all your effort before, during, and after our Field Day and chose your call by design, not by default.  Without members like you, and all those who devoted time and effort in organizing, setting up, operating, and tearing down, field day would be a bust!  Those who came out for "moral support" and "show of force" are to be commended!

                                        I won't mention any other names or calls, because I'm sure I'd miss participants.  I only wish we had a complete roster of attendees, helpers, and operators, for duly deserved recognition!

                                        72/73 de n8xx Hg
                                        QRP
                                        >99.44% of the time
                                        Except during W8DC FD 2013

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
                                          Criticism was requested and I gave an honest answer as did several others before I even
                                          saw the request.  As stated by others, the antennas on two of the radios were in fact dummy
                                          loads. At 7' above ground, the lobes were nearly vertical and the ERP at the horizontal was
                                          probably milliwatts).

                                          What is demonstrated here is:
                                          1) We cant take honest criticism
                                          2) by and large we cant demonstrate core ham radio competencies as evidenced by
                                          the inability to put up effective antennas, the inability to keep RF out of the shack,
                                          using CB jargon on the air instead of  proper ham jargonthe inability to
                                          properly setup our logging software, etc.
                                          3) the inability to learn as evidenced by not being able to apply lessons to next years
                                          effort or even being able to reproduce one years successes the next year.

                                          We did well with picking a nice location with clean restrooms and with consuming pizza
                                          (provided by others).  So lets just go have a picnic and socialize and not waste time setting
                                          up impotent radio stations, or are we such social misfits that we can't interact without being
                                          surrounded with toys to take the pressure off?

                                          Note that there is a wide spectrum between incompetence and being a completely gung
                                          ho and intollerant full contest station. A 'Radio Club' is supposed to know something about
                                          radio and be able to demonstrate some core competencies.

                                          de N7MUT/8

                                          Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:27:38 -0000
                                          From: KD8CAN <jm_leys@...>
                                          To: GRARA@yahoogroups.com

                                          > Every FD is a learning experience, that is not a bad thing. If
                                          > everything was perfect, what fun we would miss.
                                          > We had a great site and the weather was good. There was lots of
                                          > visitors asking about what was going on.
                                          > Great friends and food, don't get no better. Life is good. I think
                                          > our Club is more about having fun then wining contests. Hank did a
                                          > fine job getting things set up, getting cars moved, etc. Many thanks
                                          > to Bob Moe for having the do-dads that the rest of us always seem to
                                          > forget.
                                          > Myself, I had a positive good time.
                                          > Jim Leys
                                          > KD8CAN

                                          ----- End message from jm_leys@... -----

                                        • Steve
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 27, 2013
                                            I love Field Day.
                                            Sorry I missed this years effort.

                                            Steve .. k8pz
                                          • Jim Leys
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 17, 2014
                                              John and myself are going to meet at the Red Cross garage Wed night at 6:30
                                              We plan to take 3 tower sections out to the site and try out the base that John made.
                                              Anyone wishing to help, please feel free to do so. Not sure how much they weight.
                                              Thanks
                                              Jim KD8CAN