2415Re: [GRARA] Scouting's 2013 Jamboree on the Air

    Oct 15, 2013
      John:

      Looks like Saturday evening is largest need for volunteers?  I could help.  Time is 6 p.m. to 9 p.m?   Will there be someone there for access to the building?

      One suggestion - perhpas we should have some "name badges" with a scouts "first name, troop number" unless all the folks are coming in Scout Uniforms?  Cheep, stick on badges would work fine.  And a "Working marker" definitely NOT like the ones which are typically in the room in the basement.

      Oh, and we hams should wear our name badges, OR use one of the paste on name badges.  It's appalling to me that 80 to 90% of the members do NOT wear name badges @ our meetings.  They expect a dolt like me to remember names?  Shucks, I can't even remember MY name some daze.

      On 10/15/2013 11:44 AM, k8ggl@... wrote:

      Please put me on the sign-up list for both JOTA sessions .  I will bring my Flex SDR; it doesn't matter if its used as one of the on-the-air stations or is just there to see.

      Gerry ~ K8GGL

      ---In grara@yahoogroups.com, <streyle.j@...> wrote:

      So - Jerry KD8SRH, are you saying we should not expect to see a lot of Scouts for the 9 - 2 session? That implies we need more volunteers for the evening session, and fewer for the morning.

      I'm guessing we will need 1 (at least) volunteer to 'watch the door' and guide the Scouts, etc. (perhaps help and guide them on a 555 code practice oscillator project / send a little code to each other), along with radio operators. The operators need to be able to work the equipment and make some HF contacts, involving the Scout(s) as much as possible. Let's hope the bands are in decent shape! I think we should try to have 2 HF stations running, if practical (1 voice, 1 PSK).

      Bob Robinson - the IRLP idea sounds great . Is there a way we can run IRLP from a radio out of the Red Cross? Could we get permission to use the W8LRC repeater for JOTA? (There is a designated node for JOTA calling.) Whoever runs that will need to be able to explain how it works.

      Jerry KD8SRH - Do you have the pieces for the code oscillator project?

      Maybe we can sign-up via e-mail:

      Morning session 1. W8QZ
        9 - 2                   2.
                                  3.