      Subject:     [ILQSO] Grundy, Kankakee, and Will County Boy Scouts to Participate in 52nd Jamboree-on-the-Air
      Date:     Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:23:40 -0500
      From:     Brian McDaniel <bsm60403@...>
      To:     ILQSO@..., ILHam@...

      *MORRIS, ILLINOIS — *The Rainbow Council Boy Scouts of America will participate in the 52nd Jamboree-on-the-Air on Saturday, October 19, 2013 at the Rainbow Scout Reservation in Morris, Illinois.  Scouts from Grundy, Kankakee and Will Counties will talk with their Scouting peers around the world using two-way amateur radio.

      “There will be nearly 400 Scouts at Rainbow Scout Reservation that day,” said Marc Ryan, Rainbow Council Scout Executive, “Jamboree-on-the-Air will introduce these young men to a hobby that has lead thousands of people to careers as engineers and other technical fields.”

      More than 500,000 Scouts from 100 counties participate each year.  Rainbow Council has scheduled contacts with other Scout groups in Switzerland, Japan, and Great Britain.

       “Jamboree-on-the-Air is the inaugural event for the council’s amateur radio program,” said Brian McDaniel, Executive Board Member and Station Trustee, “Next year, we plan several council-wide projects that will introduce amateur radio to Scouts, provide merit badge and other advancement, and establish a permanent radio station at the Rainbow Scout Reservation.”

      *When* - Saturday, October 19, 2013, 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Central Time

      *Where* Rainbow Scout Reservation. 2600 N. Winterbottom Road, Morris, IL 60450

      *Technical Specifications*
      Call Sign: K9RSR
      QTH: Grundy County, Illinois (EN51wn)
      Bands: 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 2, and 440 MHz
      Modes: SSB, CW, and PSK31
      HF Antennas: Dipoles at 45-degrees and 325-degrees
      VHF/UHF Antenna: J-Pole at 36-feet

      *Calling Frequencies*
      ·         HF: 3.94, 7.19, 14.29, 21.36 and 28.39 MHz
      ·         VHF: 147.57 MHz
      ·         UHF: 446.15 MHz

      *About the Rainbow Council Boy Scouts of America*
      The Rainbow Council Boy Scouts of America serves 4,655 young people in Grundy, Kankakee, and Will Counties.  The Council owns a 750-acre multi-purpose camping facility near Morris, Illinois.  The Rainbow Scout Reservation provides an assortment of Scout-related programs throughout the year, ranging from Resident Camp to Shooting Sports to  ilderness Survival Training.

      The Rainbow Council Committee on Amateur Radio provides advancement programs for Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts at the council level utilizing the amateur radio service as a catalyst.  The Committee sponsors events and activities to introduce Scouts to amateur radio; and will begin a licensing program in 2014 that rewards Scouts with both a Radio Merit Badge and a FCC Technician Class Amateur Radio License.

      72/73,
      Brian McDaniel
      KC4LMD/9
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic