Even cheapo ($250) guitars can sound good !

  • Davor Pavuna
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      I am almost 'ashamed' to report this, BUT my conscience
      tells me I have to - for the benefit of us all:

      Some 7 years ago, in order to have some guitar for my Shadow 075
      midi-synth pick-up system, I bought an inexpensive $250
      Aria JB-Player 1-1-2 all black guitar, made in Korea ...

      It was fine for my early guitar midi experiments but I noticed
      that it didn't sound too bad through the amp ... anyway over the
      years I used Strat with GK2a, Godin LGX-SA and RMC-ed Les Paul
      so this guitar was laying in the cellar, until I didn't bring it
      to the rehearsal on Tuesday - 1st time ever out in the light :

      I plugged it directly to my all tube class A Ashdown Peacemaker 40,
      chose gain of the clean channel at 3pm and used position 2 -
      inbetween 2 single coils most of the time ...

      My latino-jazz band mates (6 of them by now) LOVED THE SOUND !

      ... and I loved it as the guitar is VERY light (I can add the GK2a now :-)

      It gets easily detuned (I have already replaced the tuners) BUT
      I am not sure what else to change to improve tunning stability !?
      (I have removed the tremolo long time ago) ...

      In summary, I will keep her and I am now convinced that many
      Korean made $250 guitars deserve our attention and some
      can get the (well deserved) time on the stage !

      In any case my Aria is not inferior to my 1967 Gibsin SG special
      (That was my best guitar in the '60s that I sold in 1974):
      actually the truth is: most guitars in the '60s were rather inferior ...
      (... unless you've spent a small forune on top Gibson models ...)

      Fwiw, Davor

    • AndrĂ© Peter Schlesinger
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2003
        My two Steinberger Spirit GT Pros from MusicYo <http://www.musicyo.com>
        were bought at around $250.00 each (note that the price has gone up a bit
        in the last 3 years). Since I'm primarily concerned with the application
        of my GR-33 I'm not at all bothered by the somewhat flat sounding stock
        EMG P/Us (OK, I'll admit that I actually like that sound!). The
        Steinberger Spirit GTs are great guitars for that futuristic
        "SynthGuitar" look and every once in a while I make a point of bugging
        MusicYo about the possibility of a special edition Roland equipped
        Steinberger and I even ran the idea by them for the production of a
        dedicated SynthGuitar minus the conventional P/U setup. My only problem
        with the installation of the external GK-2A on the Spirit GT is that the
        guitar's body shape doesn't allow much room for the placement of the GK's
        control unit. If it were not for my second Steinberger I'd consider
        strapping my spare GK-2A to my ultra cheapo Peavey T-15... In short if
        the GK-2A can be properly installed and the sound is satisfactory then go
        for it!

        That Maninblack...
        Rev. André Schlesinger
        http://www.maninblack.org

        --
        Silence is everything...
      • Maciej Gornicki
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2003
          Davor Pavuna wrote:

          > In summary, I will keep her and I am now convinced that many
          > Korean made $250 guitars deserve our attention and some
          > can get the (well deserved) time on the stage !

          Have a look here:
          http://www.macminer.opoka.org.pl/gr33/guitar.html

          Now that I also have a Godin Multiac the Korean made Cort isn't played
          as often as it (she?) used to be, but even so I pick it from time to
          time and it is no offence to the ear and certainly doesn't hurt my
          precious fingers in any way :)

          --
          Maciej Gornicki
        • allanmgardner
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2003
            Davor

            we are fellows in shame ;-)

            I also have an Aria guitar (H-S-H), in my case an Aria Pro II Magna
            series. It is quite heavy, and generally has an OK tone.

            The great thing about it is tho' that I don't mind experimenting with
            it, so the configuration is now:

            5 way switch: N, N+B, B, B+M, M

            The bridge humbucker already had a switchable SC tap (on the Vol
            push/pull), but I have now added a push/pull on the tone to alter
            phase of the Bridge PU. That gives a total of 12 very useable
            settings.

            I have also stripped down the external GK2A and mounted it inside the
            body, which of course involved attacking the body with drills &
            chisels to get the GR-33 vol and 13 pin socket mounted.

            I locked off the Floyd Rose, a while ago, which gives very stable
            tuning, with good control using the FR tuners.

            I wouldn't have tackled any of this 'butchery' with a 'good' guitar,
            so there are great merits in using a 'cheap' guitar.

            Allan

            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Davor Pavuna <pavuna@b...> wrote:

            > I am almost 'ashamed' to report this, BUT my conscience

            > tells me I have to - for the benefit of us all:

            > Some 7 years ago, in order to have some guitar for my Shadow 075

            > midi-synth pick-up system, I bought an inexpensive $250

            > Aria JB-Player 1-1-2 all black guitar, made in Korea ...

          • Shayne Cafferata
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2003

              > It gets easily detuned (I have already replaced the tuners) BUT
              > I am not sure what else to change to improve tunning stability !?
              > (I have removed the tremolo long time ago) ...

              you might already have done these, but:
              to make sure the bridge is no longer floating, add another spring and/or tighten
              the tension screw.
              make sure the strings don't bind at the nut or saddle. it's a good idea to file
              the nut slots according to your string guage. a set of nut files can be easily
              made out of a set of automotive feeler guages and a rotary tool(dremel) with a
              cutoff wheel/stiff sanding disc(get the thinnest you can find). clamp each guage
              in a vice and nick the entire length of the edge with the cutoff wheel to create
              a serrated edge. a little saw, more or less.
              the height of the nut should be sanded down so that the depth of the slots are
              about half the diameter of the string, or at most, flush with the top of the
              string.
              use a graphite nut and saddles if you can.
              luthier@yahoogroups is one of the best online resources for tech advice. there
              are many respected luthiers there willing to share their wisdom.

              cheers,
              shayne
            • Allan
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                Hi Shane,

                I've always used an acetylene torch cleaning file set....Available
                from any auto parts house for $5. Already sized and ready to go.

                Regards,

                Allan

                --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Shayne Cafferata <scafferata@s...>
                wrote:

                > > It gets easily detuned (I have already replaced the tuners) BUT
                > > I am not sure what else to change to improve tunning stability !?
                > > (I have removed the tremolo long time ago) ...
                >
                > you might already have done these, but:
                > to make sure the bridge is no longer floating, add another spring
                and/or tighten
                > the tension screw.
                > make sure the strings don't bind at the nut or saddle. it's a good
                idea to file
                > the nut slots according to your string guage. a set of nut files
                can be easily
                > made out of a set of automotive feeler guages and a rotary tool
                (dremel) with a
                > cutoff wheel/stiff sanding disc(get the thinnest you can find).
                clamp each guage
                > in a vice and nick the entire length of the edge with the cutoff
                wheel to create
                > a serrated edge. a little saw, more or less.
                > the height of the nut should be sanded down so that the depth of
                the slots are
                > about half the diameter of the string, or at most, flush with the
                top of the
                > string.
                > use a graphite nut and saddles if you can.
                > luthier@yahoogroups is one of the best online resources for tech
                advice. there
                > are many respected luthiers there willing to share their wisdom.
                >
                > cheers,
                > shayne
              • Davor Pavuna
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2003
                  >Davor we are fellows in shame ;-)

                  >I wouldn't have tackled any of this 'butchery' with a 'good' guitar,
                  >so there are great merits in using a 'cheap' guitar. Allan

                  ... yet, I did RMC modify my les Paul, and add some holes/screws to
                  my Strat ...

                  Davor :-)
                  --
                • Davor Pavuna
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2003

                    >you might already have done these, but:
                    >to make sure the bridge is no longer floating, add another spring
                    >and/or tighten
                    >the tension screw.

                    I am even willing to REPLACE the whole (vintage Strat-type cheapo) bridge
                    but where to buy one - ideally - IN BLACK ?

                    Wow, what an advice ... most others just said : add some graphite :-)

                    >use a graphite nut and saddles if you can.

                    I could buy one, right ?

                    >luthier@yahoogroups is one of the best online resources for tech advice. there
                    >are many respected luthiers there willing to share their wisdom. shayne

                    Thanks a zillion !

                    Davor
                    --
                  • allanmgardner
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2003
                      Davor

                      Is this what you're looking for?

                      http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/ttwp41.html

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2003
                        >Davor s this what you're looking for?
                        >http://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/ttwp41.html Allan

                        YES, thanks !

                        Davor
                        --
                      • Shayne Cafferata
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2003
                          > I've always used an acetylene torch cleaning file set....Available
                          > from any auto parts house for $5. Already sized and ready to go.

                          the best diy solutions always seem to be the most obvious ones. sounds like they
                          should work great. i'm going to try them.
                          another little tool i made out of the feeler guages is a scraper to deepen fret
                          slots after sanding down a fingerboard. i just ground a guage's tip to a little
                          claw. worked really well.

                          > >use a graphite nut and saddles if you can.
                          >
                          > I could buy one, right ?

                          graphtech is the brand name, i think. any good local music store would likely have
                          them. they come blank or pre-slotted, i believe.
                          cheerio,
                          shayne
                        • Allan
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 3, 2003
                            Hi again Shayne,

                            Yes, these Graph Tech saddles are absolutely great!...I've put them
                            on all four of my Strats. They really sweeten up the edgy high end;
                            not drastically, but kind of `gently'.

                            They come in all assorted flavors and styles to fit almost all
                            guitars.

                            Another neat little item is the LSR roller nuts...