Re: [GR-30] GR-33 &/VG-88 thru a Fender PD sound system

  • peter francz
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2003
      DEAR SIR:
      I am using the Stick(R) with a GR-30 and VG-8 plus a US-20 option, but that's as close as I can come to your set up.
      Subtle mix patches on the 30 work well with slight fx from the VG-8. Sometimes "less is more" to overuse the phrase.

      We would like to hear about your experiences with the 88. I hope to acquire one sometime soon. If someone on the list has one available for sale, please let me know. I am actively searching for an upgraded 88 unit.

      BEST WISHES,
      Pete Francz

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2003
        hi pete... i appreciate the response. i just obtained the vg88 ( updated version 2) & it's simply amazing. i can't wait to use it w/my gr33 & external sound module in a live setting. now my gtr tones will actually sound (not to mention feel & express)like ANY gtr & or amp i can imagine. i will eventually post audio's incorporating the vg88 into this solo synth gtr thing. this is definitely open field & i plan to take full advantage of the technology before us. btw, that's cool you use the "stick".....must be a trip to play. later, tjm

        http://www.sologuitar.us
        --

        On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 04:04:57
        peter francz wrote:
        >DEAR SIR:
        > I am using the Stick(R) with a GR-30 and VG-8 plus a US-20 option, but that's as close as I can come to your set up.
        >Subtle mix patches on the 30 work well with slight fx from the VG-8. Sometimes "less is more" to overuse the phrase.
        >
        >We would like to hear about your experiences with the 88. I hope to acquire one sometime soon. If someone on the list has one available for sale, please let me know. I am actively searching for an upgraded 88 unit.
        >
        >BEST WISHES,
        >Pete Francz

      • Cliff Lang
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
          This brings up something I've been wondering about: how do you play a GR
          synth thru a VG-88? Do you MIDI them together or what? Both are designed to
          accept a GK intput, but if your GK goes into your synth, what goes to the
          VG-88?

          > hi pete... i appreciate the response. i just obtained the vg88 ( updated
          version 2) & it's simply amazing. i can't wait to use it w/my gr33 &
          external sound module in a live setting. now my gtr tones will actually
          sound (not to mention feel & express)like ANY gtr & or amp i can imagine. i
          will eventually post audio's incorporating the vg88 into this solo synth gtr
          thing. this is definitely open field & i plan to take full advantage of the
          technology before us. btw, that's cool you use the "stick".....must be a
          trip to play. later, tjm

          > http://www.sologuitar.us
          > --
          >
          > On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 04:04:57
          > peter francz wrote:
          > >DEAR SIR:
          > > I am using the Stick(R) with a GR-30 and VG-8 plus a US-20 option, but
          that's as close as I can come to your set up.
          > >Subtle mix patches on the 30 work well with slight fx from the VG-8.
          Sometimes "less is more" to overuse the phrase.

          > >We would like to hear about your experiences with the 88. I hope to
          acquire one sometime soon. If someone on the list has one available for
          sale, please let me know. I am actively searching for an upgraded 88 unit.

          > >BEST WISHES,
          > >Pete Francz

        • sustainiac_93401
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
            Use a "GK Splitter" between the GK Instrument and the VG-88 / GR-33 / etc.

            A few candidates:

            Roland US-20
            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/search/g=home/detail/base_id/82938

            Roland GKP-4

            http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/search/g=home?q=GKP-4

            RMC Fanout Box
            http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html

            or build one:
            http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/us-20/

            or
            http://www.awat.demon.nl/us20/

            Other GK gear you may run are:
            the Roland WP-20G & OC-20G
            http://www.guitarist.co.uk/print.asp?ID=1664&type=rev

            steve C

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
              OK, so you need two GK cables with the beloved 13-pin connectors, right?

              > Use a "GK Splitter" between the GK Instrument and the VG-88 / GR-33 /
              etc.

              > A few candidates:
              >
              > Roland US-20

              http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/searc
              h/g=home/detail/base_id/82938

              > Roland GKP-4

              http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/searc
              h/g=home?q=GKP-4

              > RMC Fanout Box
              > http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html
              >

              > or build one:
              > http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/us-20/
              >
              > or
              > http://www.awat.demon.nl/us20/
              >

              > Other GK gear you may run are:
              > the Roland WP-20G & OC-20G
              > http://www.guitarist.co.uk/print.asp?ID=1664&type=rev
              >
              > steve C
              >
              > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@s...> wrote:
              > > This brings up something I've been wondering about: how do you play a GR
              > > synth thru a VG-88? Do you MIDI them together or what? Both are designed
              > > accept a GK intput, but if your GK goes into your synth, what goes to
              the
              > > VG-88?

            • Miracle Mary Anne Music
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                DEAR SIR:
                Three cables total, one from the GK-2A/instrument to the (13 pin box)
                Roland US-20 box, two out of the box to the two modules 88 and 33, for
                example. Hope this helps. Write with any questions, the list is great to
                help.

                OK, so you need two GK cables with the beloved 13-pin connectors, right?

                > Use a "GK Splitter" between the GK Instrument and the VG-88 / GR-33 /
                etc.

                > A few candidates:
                >
                > Roland US-20

                http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/searc
                h/g=home/detail/base_id/82938

                > Roland GKP-4

                http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030402135108024205237017588702/searc
                h/g=home?q=GKP-4

                > RMC Fanout Box
                > http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html
                >

                > or build one:
                > http://www.muc.de/~hm/music/us-20/
                >
                > or
                > http://www.awat.demon.nl/us20/
                >

                > Other GK gear you may run are:
                > the Roland WP-20G & OC-20G
                > http://www.guitarist.co.uk/print.asp?ID=1664&type=rev
                >
                > steve C
                >
                > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@s...> wrote:
                > > This brings up something I've been wondering about: how do you play a GR
                > > synth thru a VG-88? Do you MIDI them together or what? Both are designed
                > > accept a GK intput, but if your GK goes into your synth, what goes to
                the
                > > VG-88?

              • Allan
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                  Hi,

                  Why not just midi the two together? I run three synths tied together
                  on one channel. One does the tracking and the other two are slaves.
                  They follow that guitar like a donkey on a rope.

                  I don't see the need for boxes or extra 13 pin cables.

                  Allan

                  --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Miracle Mary Anne Music" <francz@e...>

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                    I believe at least the vg-8 cannot be driven through the midi connection,
                    it's only for data transfer. It in the manual. Possibly the 88 can drive
                    midi ?

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                      Hi,

                      Okay, thanks for straightening me out on this one.

                      wrote:
                      > I believe at least the vg-8 cannot be driven through the midi
                      connection,
                      > it's only for data transfer. It in the manual. Possibly the 88 can
                      drive
                      > midi ?

                    • bizcad2001
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                        IMHO the Fender small PA systems are way overpriced for the tinny
                        sound you get out of them.

                        I ended up with a Mackie 808S stereo powered mixer with 8 inputs for
                        my GR-33, GNX-3 and AGStomp and mic. Then into 2 Ramsa WSA200
                        speakers. This setup is a little more pricey than your budget. I
                        overpaid for the speakers and bought the mixer new. I would say that
                        you can stay within your budget.

                        Here is a 408S
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                        ViewItem&item=2519990618&category=23785

                        I do not see any WSA-200s on ebay at the moment, but they show up.

                        good luck.

                        Nick
                      • twojazzman
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                          hi nick...actually price is not an issue it's more so that i want a
                          system to be compact,easy to use & carry, & has decent sound quality
                          for the gr & vg systems. apparently the passport pd-250 is fender's
                          top of the line portable pa system. have you played thru this one?
                          tjm
                          http://www.sologuitar.us

                          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "bizcad2001" <nicholasstein@c...>
                          wrote:
                          > IMHO the Fender small PA systems are way overpriced for the tinny
                          > sound you get out of them.
                          >
                          > I ended up with a Mackie 808S stereo powered mixer with 8 inputs
                          for
                          > my GR-33, GNX-3 and AGStomp and mic. Then into 2 Ramsa WSA200
                          > speakers. This setup is a little more pricey than your budget. I
                          > overpaid for the speakers and bought the mixer new. I would say
                          that
                          > you can stay within your budget.
                          >
                          > Here is a 408S
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                          > ViewItem&item=2519990618&category=23785
                          >
                          > I do not see any WSA-200s on ebay at the moment, but they show up.
                          >
                          > good luck.
                          >
                          > Nick
                        • Nick Stein
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 2, 2003
                            Yes I did at Guitar Center. I also played thru an older model at a
                            friend's house. I was amazed by how shitty they sounded. I am
                            attaching a picture of my setup. It is in small pieces so I do not
                            break my back.

                            I use a Brian Moore i2.13. The Humbuckers go to the GNX-3 (which I
                            chose over a VG-88). The piezo goes to a Yamaha AGStomp, not pictured,
                            for that acoustic sound. And the 13 pin goes to the GR-33. I can get
                            some pretty wild sounds by mixing an acoustic attack with a distorted
                            sound and topping off with a sustaining GR-33 sound. Lots of fun.

                            Anyway, I wanted really clean for an amp as all my sounds come from the
                            various effects. The GNX has amp modeling, speaker modeling an effects
                            modeling. So, I asked my self, why would I want to color that with some
                            guitar amp. So I got the mixer. I played several speakers through it
                            on loan from the local guitar shop and the Ramsa had the best sound and
                            are fairly light. About 20-25 lb. each about the same as the amp.
                            Everything but the guitar fit in the no so large trunk of my car. I
                            also have a pair of Ramsa WSA-550 sub woofers and a couple of power amps
                            in my garage that came with the WSA-200. I have not even hooked them up
                            yet. From what I can tell, they are really the same speaker cabinet but
                            tuned for more bass.

                            Prices:

                            Expect to pay about $250 each for the speakers. The are no longer made
                            so you have to find them used.

                            http://www.musiciansbuy.com <http://www.musiciansbuy.com/> has the best
                            prices on new stuff like the Mackie. About $700.

                            I might have done it a little differently had I to do it again.

                            I might have gone with a Mackie un-powered mixer and a power amp. The
                            1642 is more flexible as far as input/output and busses and stuff. But
                            then I would have ended up with a rack which would be bulky and heavy
                            because it is all in once piece.

                            Nick Stein

                            61 Bennington

                            Irvine CA 92620-2708

                            mailto://nick@...

                            Some people grumble because roses have thorns. I am grateful that thorns
                            have roses.

                            wrote:
                            > IMHO the Fender small PA systems are way overpriced for the tinny
                            > sound you get out of them.
                            >
                            > I ended up with a Mackie 808S stereo powered mixer with 8 inputs
                            for
                            > my GR-33, GNX-3 and AGStomp and mic. Then into 2 Ramsa WSA200
                            > speakers. This setup is a little more pricey than your budget. I
                            > overpaid for the speakers and bought the mixer new. I would say
                            that
                            > you can stay within your budget.
                            >
                            > Here is a 408S
                            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                            > ViewItem&item=2519990618&category=23785
                            >
                            > I do not see any WSA-200s on ebay at the moment, but they show up.
                            >
                            > good luck.
                            >
                            > Nick

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                            032144:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http:/ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egrou
                            pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=728880959>

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 3, 2003
                              I would suggest getting a pair of JBL EON 10 G2 instead of the Fender Passport.

                              http://www.djdepot.com/info/eon10g2.html

                              Quite small and decent bass response - built in 3 channel mini mixer in each one, and a passthru XLR out which could work as a DI Out to a larger PA .

                              Steve

                              --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "twojazzman" <twojazzman@l...> wrote:
                              > hi nick...actually price is not an issue it's more so that i want a
                              > system to be compact,easy to use & carry, & has decent sound quality
                              > for the gr & vg systems. apparently the passport pd-250 is fender's
                              > top of the line portable pa system. have you played thru this one?
                              > tjm
                              > http://www.sologuitar.us
                              >
                              > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "bizcad2001" <nicholasstein@c...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > IMHO the Fender small PA systems are way overpriced for the tinny
                              > > sound you get out of them.
                              > >
                              > > I ended up with a Mackie 808S stereo powered mixer with 8 inputs
                              > for
                              > > my GR-33, GNX-3 and AGStomp and mic. Then into 2 Ramsa WSA200
                              > > speakers. This setup is a little more pricey than your budget. I
                              > > overpaid for the speakers and bought the mixer new. I would say
                              > that
                              > > you can stay within your budget.
                              > >
                              > > Here is a 408S
                              > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
                              > > ViewItem&item=2519990618&category=23785
                              > >
                              > > I do not see any WSA-200s on ebay at the moment, but they show up.
                              > >
                              > > good luck.
                              > >
                              > > Nick
                            • joe black
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 6, 2003
                                steve..thanks for the advice...you're not the only one that mentioned the eon10 g2. i'll probably end up getting these. tjm

                                http://www.sologuitar.us