Cable Repair?

  • Jack Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 1999
      Last night I noticed that when I started moving around a bit, my GR30
      started false-triggering and I mean really odd notes coming out of it. It
      actually sent me through gales of laughter while I had it on a clav-like
      patch layered with my computer soundfont and got these weird farting
      sounds. Of course the laughter subsided when I realized that this is
      pretty serious.
      I started checking other errors like volume control and sensitivity, but
      I'm pretty sure it's coming from my cable. I started flexing the cable
      from one end to the other; the stock 15ft cord that comes with the GR30,
      and found the GR30 triggering when I flexed somewhere in the middle that
      spanned about 2 feet in length. Is this some type of short? Can it be
      repaired? I called my local dealer and he said the best thing to do is to
      order another cord. How much do they run for and can they only be
      purchased from Roland Corp.? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
    • Shawn Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 1999
        C-13A 15 footer list Price 65.00
        C-13B 30 footer list price 95.00

        Ouch

        Shawn

        >Last night I noticed that when I started moving around a bit, my GR30
        >started false-triggering and I mean really odd notes coming out of it. It
        >actually sent me through gales of laughter while I had it on a clav-like
        >patch layered with my computer soundfont and got these weird farting
        >sounds. Of course the laughter subsided when I realized that this is
        >pretty serious.
        > I started checking other errors like volume control and sensitivity, but
        >I'm pretty sure it's coming from my cable. I started flexing the cable
        >from one end to the other; the stock 15ft cord that comes with the GR30,
        >and found the GR30 triggering when I flexed somewhere in the middle that
        >spanned about 2 feet in length. Is this some type of short? Can it be
        >repaired? I called my local dealer and he said the best thing to do is to
        >order another cord. How much do they run for and can they only be
        >purchased from Roland Corp.? Any help on this would be greatly
        appreciated!

        >ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

      • Ted Davis
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 1999
          guitar center will sell you one for $50.00 if you ask for a discount
          (our local music store was willing to match thier price so i bought it
          there)
          my original chord lasted a whole month!
          it was probably covered by the warranty but i didnt have the patience to
          find out
          ted

        • Jameskid@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 1999
            Split the cable jacket at the problem location with a razor knife (be careful of the
            inner wires) look for a broken wire in the bundle.If it is not obvious which is the
            culprit,use a ohm meter for a continuity check to see which one is
            intermittent.Solder it.
            wrap the soldered wire with electrical tape.Wrap the whole region. JK

            Jack Taylor wrote:

            > From: Jack Taylor <jtaylo24@...>
            >
            > Last night I noticed that when I started moving around a bit, my GR30
            > started false-triggering and I mean really odd notes coming out of it. It
            > actually sent me through gales of laughter while I had it on a clav-like
            > patch layered with my computer soundfont and got these weird farting
            > sounds. Of course the laughter subsided when I realized that this is
            > pretty serious.
            > I started checking other errors like volume control and sensitivity, but
            > I'm pretty sure it's coming from my cable. I started flexing the cable
            > from one end to the other; the stock 15ft cord that comes with the GR30,
            > and found the GR30 triggering when I flexed somewhere in the middle that
            > spanned about 2 feet in length. Is this some type of short? Can it be
            > repaired? I called my local dealer and he said the best thing to do is to
            > order another cord. How much do they run for and can they only be
            > purchased from Roland Corp.? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

            > ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

          • Matthias Miller
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 1999
              I've only used the 15-footer but am intrigued by the 30 footer. Will the
              extra length degrade the tracking ability, the slight tracking delay,
              etc.???

            • Matthias Miller
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 1999
                Thanks, I had read some stuff somewhere that there were MIDI cable limit
                lengths for your system, and since I downline to a midi merge and then into
                a samper I wondered.....
                Matthias

              • Pioneer Hill Software
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 1999

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 1999
                    There are MIDI cable limits but these are due to signal attenuation (the
                    signal gets weaker due to the increased electrical resistance in the
                    longer wire). It is not due to time delay at all.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                      Thanks to all who helped me out. While I'm on the subject of cables, I was
                      wondering if there were such a thing as wireless midi kits for the GK-2a.
                      I think I've heard wireless midi controllers for keyboards, but it may not
                      apply to the exclusive GK pin format. Does anyone know more about this?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                        The GK-2A to GR-30 cable has multiple pairs of wires
                        so it can send each string separately. A normal wireless
                        handles a single channel so you would need a custom
                        interface box with essentially 6 wireless channels. I
                        doubt that such a box can be purchased ready made.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 1999
                          In addition to the comments below, the GK-2A pickup alone has absolutely
                          nothing to do with MIDI signals. If a keyboardist has a wireless MIDI
                          system, it wouldn't work with the GK-2a which simply sends 6 individual
                          analog signals. The GR-30 module does all the MIDI stuff. A wireless MIDI
                          transmitter would have to be placed AFTER the GR-30. Now you could use a
                          wireless MIDI transmitter if you wanted to strap the GR-30 to your body and
                          run around the stage......

                          Don't laugh, both DEVO and Smashing Pumpkins have been known to tape stomp
                          boxes diretly on the guitar. OK, maybe they're a *little* smaller than a
                          GR-30.

                          > The GK-2A to GR-30 cable has multiple pairs of wires
                          > so it can send each string separately. A normal wireless
                          > handles a single channel so you would need a custom
                          > interface box with essentially 6 wireless channels. I
                          > doubt that such a box can be purchased ready made.

                        • Stephen Szajna
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 7, 1999
                            Ya know, Roland & Fender or even Godin should just build a gr30 INTO a
                            guitar with both audio and midi outs available.

                            It would beat sticking the gr-30 into a fanny pack with a wireless unit :)

                            SteveSZ