Laptop and VG-88

  • Ray Dawson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      I'd like to use my laptop to down/upload to my VG-88 and GR33, but don't
      know how to go about it.

      My laptop does have MIDI implementation in the built in software, but
      I've no idea how to get access to MIDI externally.

      It has audio in and out out ports, but no games port which my desktop
      computer uses for MIDI. There is a multi-pin socket on the back which is
      supposed to be for gaining access to the ports, but of course the laptop
      didn't come with a cable for it.

      Are these external ports a common connector on all laptops, or are they
      brand specific? If common, where can I get hold of a cable to plug in to
      get access to the MIDI - like the gameport to MIDI lead?

      Cheers,

      Ray D

      --
      ray@...
      http://www.raydawson.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
        it sounds like you have a serial port on the back of your lap top. the easyest way to do it is with a midi in/out to serial adapter or if you have usb midt to usb. there are many companys that make them and they usualy run about $100 CAN. I use a Soundblaster livedrive on m home pc and it works flawlessly, but for a lap top look at these web pages and that will give you the ideas to start with

        http://this.is/tpg/products/unwinder/order/

        http://www.usbstuff.com/midi.html

        http://proaudiomusic.com/software/UM1-USB-MIDI-cable.htm

        if nothing else this should get you started.
        ---
        For great music check out www.Lovebomb.ca coming soon!
        or for "light on the dark side" visit www.prodigalbrothers.com
        If you Dare......

        On Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:23:10
        Ray Dawson wrote:

        Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com
      • guitarzan77082
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          Ray:

          This is my first e-mail in the GR-30 group,,,hope I'm not stepping on
          anyone's toes with this.

          I have been using a Midiman 2x2 for my Alesis QS8 and another Guitar
          processor for about a year. Works great!! not sure if you have a way
          to go USB as previous e-mail I saw suggested. I found mine on e-bay
          for approx. 55.00 US. I recommend it if you can get it. I will soon
          be moving up to another MidiPort device, as I will need to add GR
          Device soon.

          Hope this helps.

          Casey
        • Ray Dawson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            In article <a5ov3b+q3eo@...>,
            guitarzan77082 <cleenheer@...> wrote:

            > This is my first e-mail in the GR-30 group,,,hope I'm not stepping on
            > anyone's toes with this.

            > I have been using a Midiman 2x2 for my Alesis QS8 and another Guitar
            > processor for about a year. Works great!! not sure if you have a way
            > to go USB as previous e-mail I saw suggested. I found mine on e-bay
            > for approx. 55.00 US. I recommend it if you can get it. I will soon
            > be moving up to another MidiPort device, as I will need to add GR
            > Device soon.

            Thanks Casey, Derek and Bud who emailled me directly. The USB Midisport
            was the way to go and I managed to pick one up for 55 gbp this afternoon.

            It all works fine.

            Cheers,

            Ray D

            --
            ray@...
            http://www.raydawson.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
              Hello Folks,
              Is it possible to trigger tones out of my GR-33 eg.,a Emu Module or
              an Alesis piano rackmount module?Rick.