Re: RE: fingerpicking/sparing the nails

  • Zeek Duff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      GR-30@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Origianl Message:
      > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 19:04:07 -0400
      > From: Cristóbal De Jesús <toby@...>
      > Subject: RE: fingerpicking/sparing the nails
      >
      > To me this is very important information. I'm constantly watching my
      > fingernails for optimum condition. After training for so many years using
      > my fingernails I would be sad to have to switch techniques because of
      > fingernail health.
      >
      > How strict I am with this? Well, every time I bruise a fingertip or
      > accidentally separate the fingernail from the tip (more often that it should
      > because of my job) I have to stop playing. This is to make sure it heals
      > the best it can, some times up to 45 days.
      >
      > I have a friend of mine that became infected with some king of fungus, which
      > affected his fingernails. He says that it is hard to cure. Would you
      > comment on this, please?
      >
      > Toby
      > Paz para Vieques
      >
      > P.S. Fingernails pick strings, strings drive pickup, pickup drives GR-33.
      > Loose, but the relevance is there. I promise not to ask again. :)

      I've been fingerpicking steel string acoustics, electrics, and nylon stringed guitars for over 45 years, 35+ professionally. Gelatin capsules are the BEST thing to stimulate growth and nail
      flexibility. I take two per day, have for many years.

      The great Brazilian guitarist Paulinho Nogueira also fingerpicked a steel string acoustic and did it with heavy strings and high action, as well as high tuning needed to keep the neck of the
      old ax more or less straight; proving it can be done, even without access to "sophisticated materials."

      I started using Super Glue to reinforce my nails over 25 years ago, and find that a thick coating, but thinner than applied acrylic nails (about 1/16") works great. Nail fungus isn't a
      problem unless you allow cracks in the nail edge and/or surface to become and remain dirty. There are numerous treatments, but hygiene is paramount. I tend my nails daily, as needed.

      Beyond that, you can do as much MIDI fingerpicking as with a pick, and of course, far more. :) For my MIDI guitar, I have a GK2a on a Jackson PS-4 (Strat config) with .010s and a GR-30.
      Fingerpicking works just fine on it. There are also classical MIDI guitars such as the Godin, if you want to stay with the flat fingerboard and wide neck that you're used to.

      Regards,
      ...z

      GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

      -- =---Don't tolerate intolerance! Support freedom and human rights!---= --

      L.G. "Zeek" Duff
      WHAT!Productions!
      Blue Wall Studio
      MP3.com/Zeek_Duff