Bad news

  • Cristóbal De Jesús
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
    • Tony Pucillo
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
        Why can't geniuses leave their accumulated talent and experience as a
        legacy? I'd settle for the skill in one of his fingers.

        TP

        Cristóbal De Jesús wrote:

        > Mr. Chet Atkins died.
        > (http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/atkins.obit.ap/index.html)
        >
        > Toby

      • Stephen Szajna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
          They can, they're called records (or cd's for the youngsters on the list).

          SteveSZ

          > Why can't geniuses leave their accumulated talent and experience as a
          > legacy? I'd settle for the skill in one of his fingers.
          >
          > TP
          >
          > Cristóbal De Jesús wrote:
          >>
          >> Mr. Chet Atkins died.
          >> (http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/atkins.obit.ap/index.html)
          >>
          >> Toby

        • Tony Pucillo
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
            Records are sushi, I'm talking about being taught to fish. :( Even GOOD
            seafood is still the product.

            TP

            Stephen Szajna wrote:

            > They can, they're called records (or cd's for the youngsters on the list).
            >
            > SteveSZ
            > >

            > > Why can't geniuses leave their accumulated talent and experience as a
            > > legacy? I'd settle for the skill in one of his fingers.
            > >
            > > TP
            > >
            > > Cristóbal De Jesús wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Mr. Chet Atkins died.
            > >> (http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/atkins.obit.ap/index.html)
            > >>
            > >> Toby
            > >>

            > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
            > http://www.gr-30.com/
            >
            > for info: gr-30@...
            > to post: gr-30@egroups.com
            > to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
            > to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

          • Stephen Szajna
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
              You're right Tony, I know what you meant, 'tis a never ending search isn't
              it?

              All we can do is keep at it,... but in the mean time I'm gonna listen to
              some of this Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler record I got and see if osmosis works
              even just a little bit.

              Steve SZ

            • TbirdBear@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                Yes your problem is definitly pitch bend range, you should be able to
                set it on both the GR-33 and GigaStudio since it's part of the MIDI
                spec. Unfortunatly I'm new to the GR-33 and never used a GigaStudio
                so I'm not much help with actually changing it.

                Rich

                --- In GR-30@y..., dcorwin@h... wrote:
                > I'm having some okay results driving my GigaStudio160 with the GR-
                33
                > and a BrianMoore guitar. The main problem I believe is the pitch
                bend
                > range for the two not matching up. If I set the GR33 to chromatic
                > it's great (but no pitch bend or expression). If I set the gr33 to
                > anything else, the GigaStudio doesn't bend right. So my question:
                do

              • TbirdBear@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                  'Neck and Neck' is a good one, but if you really want to hear Chet
                  excell try 'Almost Alone'. Most of the CD is solo Chet - sounding
                  like a whole lot more. It's one of hist last recordings and really
                  showcases his talent. I was lucky enough to see him during this
                  period - truly amazing and very inspiring. I'm still trying to sound
                  competent on just one of those jewels.

                  Rich

                  )

                • Darren Littlejohn
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Man, I guess they die in threes....but we've had more than that:

                    John Lee Hooker
                    Carroll O'Connor
                    Jack Lemmon
                    Chet Atkins

                    Big names in entertainment, all died within a 10 day period. 2 of Cancer. I
                    guess Liebach said it best:

                    Life
                    Life is Life
                    Life
                    Life IS Life

                    -d

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                      I knew I forgot one! Yeah I heard that on the radio last night. He I believe
                      had cancer as well.

                      -d

                      Man, I guess they die in threes....but we've had more than that:

                      John Lee Hooker
                      Carroll O'Connor
                      Jack Lemmon
                      Chet Atkins

                      Big names in entertainment, all died within a 10 day period. 2 of Cancer.
                      guess Liebach said it best:

                      Life
                      Life is Life
                      Life
                      Life IS Life

                      -d

                      'Neck and Neck' is a good one, but if you really want to hear Chet
                      excell try 'Almost Alone'. Most of the CD is solo Chet - sounding
                      like a whole lot more. It's one of hist last recordings and really
                      showcases his talent. I was lucky enough to see him during this
                      period - truly amazing and very inspiring. I'm still trying to sound
                      competent on just one of those jewels.

                      Rich

                      --- In GR-30@y..., Stephen Szajna <SteveSZ@c...> wrote:
                      > You're right Tony, I know what you meant, 'tis a never ending
                      search isn't
                      > it?
                      >
                      > All we can do is keep at it,... but in the mean time I'm gonna
                      listen to
                      > some of this Chet Atkins/Mark Knopfler record I got and see if
                      osmosis works
                      > even just a little bit.
                      >
                      > Steve SZ
                      >
                      > > Records are sushi, I'm talking about being taught to fish. :(
                      Even GOOD
                      > > seafood is still the product.
                      > >
                      > > TP
                      > >
                      > > Stephen Szajna wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> They can, they're called records (or cd's for the youngsters on
                      the list).

                      > >> SteveSZ

                      (http://www.cnn.com/2001/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/30/atkins.obit.ap/index.html
                      )

                      The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                      http://www.gr-30.com/

                      for info: gr-30@...
                      to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                      to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                      to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                      The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                      http://www.gr-30.com/

                      for info: gr-30@...
                      to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                      to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                      to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                      The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                      http://www.gr-30.com/

                      for info: gr-30@...
                      to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                      to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                      to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                    • Larry Lundgren
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                        Well, actually, to set the pitch bend in Gigasampler (not sure of
                        Gigastudio) it is part of the gigafile for that particular sample set.
                        So the unfortunate thing, is that if you have, say a 50 sample sound
                        that you want to change the pb range on. You have to load the file in
                        the editor, go through the process of making a new file, where you'll
                        find parameter for pitch bend, then save it. Besides being a pain, if
                        the file is huge, it will take up that much disk space just for that one
                        change! [I hear the rumbling now......]. Hardware based samplers will
                        let you do this on the fly........

                        Larry

                        TbirdBear@... wrote:

                        > Yes your problem is definitly pitch bend range, you should be able to
                        > set it on both the GR-33 and GigaStudio since it's part of the MIDI
                        > spec. Unfortunatly I'm new to the GR-33 and never used a GigaStudio
                        > so I'm not much help with actually changing it.
                        >
                        > Rich
                        >
                        > --- In GR-30@y..., dcorwin@h... wrote:
                        > > I'm having some okay results driving my GigaStudio160 with the GR-
                        > 33
                        > > and a BrianMoore guitar. The main problem I believe is the pitch
                        > bend
                        > > range for the two not matching up. If I set the GR33 to chromatic
                        > > it's great (but no pitch bend or expression). If I set the gr33 to
                        > > anything else, the GigaStudio doesn't bend right. So my question:
                        > do
                        > > any of you know how to set the bend range in GigaStudio or have any
                        > > other tips to get more expressive playing?
                        > >
                        > > I'm going through a MOTU MTPav into DigitalPerformer on a Mac and
                        > the
                        > > GStudio is on a PC setup like a sound module. Thanks
                        >

                        > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                        > http://www.gr-30.com/
                        >
                        > for info: gr-30@...
                        > to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                        > to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                        > to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                      • richard o. brun
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                          Is the Roland XV 5080 what you would call a "hardware based sampler".
                          I'm trying to discern if my GR-30 is going to be able to drive this unit
                          and still be able to play with some degree of expression. Thanks,
                          Richard.
                        • carlman@prodigy.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                            ...& Joe Henderson..
                            Man, I guess they die in threes....but we've had more than that:

                            John Lee Hooker
                            Carroll O'Connor
                            Jack Lemmon
                            Chet Atkins

                            Big names in entertainment, all died within a 10 day period. 2 of Cancer. I
                            guess Liebach said it best:

                            Life
                            Life is Life
                            Life