Re: [GR-30] Wall wart hell...

  • Louie
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
      The pedal board is a road case with carpet all over the floor to allow attachment of pedals via Velcro. It was sitting on a carpeted floor, but the case has rubber feet. The Furman PlugLock has metal clamps that hold the wall warts in place. Should there be an insulator between the clamp and wall wart? There isn't.
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
        >3. On both units, I gently coil the extra wall wart cable, tie it with a
        cable tie and tuck it away under a pedal riser.

        One thing that COULD be happening is the coiling of the power cable. By
        doing this, you are creating an Inductor that adds significant capacitance
        and resistance (Impedance) to the power cable. This causes it to draw extra
        current (amperage), which could exceed the capacity of the wall wart itself.

        Just as a tip, it's not good to leave any cords coiled (power, mike, line,
        speaker) at a gig for the same reasons. It also can give you noise
        problems as well.

        Best Regards,

        Ron Worley

        Honeywell

        Ron Worley Business & General Aviation
        OEM Account Manager 648 Cardinal Lane
        Global Sales & Support Keller, TX 76248
        Phone: 817-428-5969
        Cell: 817-917-0609
        Fax: 817-428-2667
        ron.worley@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=190462.1393721.2979173.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700032144:N/
        A=551014/?http://www.debticated.com> www.debticated.com

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=190462.1393721.2979173.2/D=egroupmail/S=17
        00032144:N/A=551014/rand=444527361>

        The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
        http://www.gr-30.com/ <http://www.gr-30.com/>

        for info: gr-30@...
        to post: gr-30@egroups.com
        to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
        to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

      • Matthew W. Seniff
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
          At 08:15 AM 06/01/2001 -0700, you wrote:
          > >3. On both units, I gently coil the extra wall wart cable, tie it with a
          >cable tie and tuck it away under a pedal riser.
          >

          >One thing that COULD be happening is the coiling of the power cable. By
          >doing this, you are creating an Inductor that adds significant capacitance
          >and resistance (Impedance) to the power cable. This causes it to draw extra
          >current (amperage), which could exceed the capacity of the wall wart itself.

          Actually this will do just the reverse. If you increase resistance the
          current will decrease (I=E/R). Impedance is a function of AC currents not
          DC so there is truly only and impedance issue with AC output supplies not
          DC output supplies but again coiling the wire should result in more
          inductance (inductors add inductance not capacitance) and reduce current
          not increase it assuming AC output. It may well be possible to induce
          currents via inductance in coiled power input cables but this would be a
          very inefficient transformer design and at worst might raise the noise
          floor IMHO. My vote would be some type of spike or surge voltage but I am
          unclear as to whether this is plugged in to a Furman surge protector or
          just an outlet strip but it appears to me that the ones I looked at on
          their website have no AC power protection (at least in the series I was
          viewing http://www.furmansound.com/PlugLock.html ). If this is the case
          then you could still be having local power problems at that outlet. While
          you may have measured 125.1 volts AC it says nothing about the presence of
          spikes, short duration surges, or even voltage over the long term. I
          highly recommend that you not use that particular outlet for anything until
          you know for sure. The fact that you have experienced this with two
          different units is extremely suspicious to me and indicates that something
          is definitely going wrong. Perhaps some more particulars about your pedal
          board would be useful, what else is on it and how are they interconnected
          (it is possible that some odd interaction could occur between the various
          items on the pedal board but not terribly likely).

          >Just as a tip, it's not good to leave any cords coiled (power, mike, line,
          >speaker) at a gig for the same reasons. It also can give you noise
          >problems as well.
          But so will running cables for close to one another in a linear fashion. A
          cable with a good 100% shielding will be fairly impervious to such effects
          at least at audio frequencies. matt

          SNIP
        • Louie
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
            Then how do I keep it from turning into a rat's nest of cables? I need maybe 6 inches of cable to get from the plug to the unit... what about the other 5 1/2 feet?

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
              Seems to be characteristic of musicians that they get to plug into weird
              places in basements, garages, etc.

              We traced one anomaly to a timer that was kicking in a spa heater and pump on
              the same panel while we were practicing. I started actually running my
              digital toys (like the GR-30) through an uninterruptible power supply. (Not
              my amps, though I suppose I could do that too.)

              But we never burned anything up, just kept losing stuff stored in memory.
              The hair dryer problem was caused by running a hair dryer in a low-humidity
              environment, unplugging it and plugging it back into the outlet before it
              stopped running. It took out the security timers and other digital stuff
              instantly.

              TP

              "Matthew W. Seniff" wrote:
              > highly recommend that you not use that particular outlet for anything until
              > you know for sure. The fact that you have experienced this with two
              > different units is extremely suspicious to me and indicates that something
              > is definitely going wrong. Perhaps some more particulars about your pedal
              > board would be useful, what else is on it and how are they interconnected
              > (it is possible that some odd interaction could occur between the various
              > items on the pedal board but not terribly likely).
            • John Waddington
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                Splice It

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                  > floor IMHO. My vote would be some type of spike or surge voltage but I am
                  > unclear as to whether this is plugged in to a Furman surge protector or
                  > just an outlet strip but it appears to me that the ones I looked at on
                  > their website have no AC power protection (at least in the series I was
                  > viewing http://www.furmansound.com/PlugLock.html ). If this is the case
                  > then you could still be having local power problems at that outlet. While
                  > you may have measured 125.1 volts AC it says nothing about the presence of
                  > spikes, short duration surges, or even voltage over the long term. I
                  > highly recommend that you not use that particular outlet for anything
                  until
                  > you know for sure. The fact that you have experienced this with two
                  > different units is extremely suspicious to me and indicates that something
                  > is definitely going wrong. Perhaps some more particulars about your pedal
                  > board would be useful, what else is on it and how are they interconnected
                  > (it is possible that some odd interaction could occur between the various
                  > items on the pedal board but not terribly likely).

                  Whew... ok...
                  1. The link you list is the unit I use, however, it is, as my entire rig,
                  ALWAYS connected to my main power unit; a Furman PL-Tuner.

                  2. Here's the diagram I drew before ordering my NGM Pedalboard:
                  http://www.crosslink.net/~es336td/Pedalboard.jpg. It has changed a bit.
                  a) the Morley has been replaced by a Roland EV-5 (GR-30 expression
                  pedal)
                  b) a Mesa Boogie V-Twin shares the riser with the Morley ABY switch
                  (V-Twin: harp pre-amp to Line6 AX2 Aux ABY: one side=wireless, one
                  side=cord)
                  c) the Power Sentry strip has been replaced with the Furman PlugLock
                  (all pedalboard power)
                  wall warts/power supplies:
                  1. Roland GR-30 (center negative ground/9V DC/1000mA)
                  2. Visual Volume Pedal (center negative ground/9V DC/800mA)
                  3. Boogie V-Twin (12V AC/1A) <=== This one was in the
                  PlugLock, but not connected to the
                  V-Twin
                  when the GR-1 thing happened. It WAS

                  connected when the GR-30 died.
                  4. Digitech XP-100 (9.75 V AC/820mA)
                  5. MXR Micro Amp (MXR Power Converter: 9V DC/65mA)
                  d) An MXR MicroAmp and Power Converter has been added above the XP-100
                  (too boost signal for
                  my Strat to Line6 AX2)

                  Connections:
                  1. GR-30 > Visual Volume Pedal > Rolls RP93 Patchwork > Whirlwind
                  Director DI > board
                  a. EV-5 and FS-5U are for expression pedal and bank switch
                  respectively.
                  b. MIDI Out > Rolls RP93 Patchwork MIDI IN : MIDI OUT > Line6 AX2
                  MIDI IN
                  c. Digitech RPM-1 > Rolls RP93 Patchwork effects loop
                  2. Guitar signal: AKG wireless > Morley ABY > XP-100 > Line6 AX2
                  3. Harp signal: Shure bullet > V-Twin IN > V-Twin OUT > Line6 AX2 Aux
                  input

                  I think that's it... I had to move things around when I put the GR-1 in the
                  mix, but the connections were basically the same.

                  Hope this helps me figure it out. Thanx.

                • Tony Pucillo
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Just a desktop computer type (APS?) 500 watt? I tend to use it as an overflow
                    extension and plug smashboxes in it too. I'm sure it doesn't even blink with
                    them and the GR-30, a Digitech RP-7 and a Vocalizer coming off of it.

                    I've occasionally plugged a modest-sized keyboard into it as well (under 1000
                    mW as I recall, more of an electric piano portable).

                    It's not that heavy and I feel better in the bass player's funky back room
                    with the loose panelling.
                    TP

                    Louie wrote:

                    > What kind of UPS are you using?
                  • Louie
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                      Nothing else in the house started up. I was running the PlugLock from the PL-Tuner, shouldn't that fix it, or do I need the AR-117 or whatever?

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                        Maybe the Radio Shack clone, but if I did the original, it would reduce the resale value... then again, frying it would also do that. ;-)

                      • Louie
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                          Shamba! Well the GR-1 lights up, but no sound... I just talked to the tech at the shop where my GR-30 is. He said there's a transistor in there that "exploded" and left a hole in the board. He said he thought he could fix it. I wish I could figure out what was causing this! I'd hate to spend over $150. to fix it and fry it again! A UPS/surge protector will only protect the wall wart from the outside current. What will protect the GR unit from the wall wart!?!? Baffled...

                        • Dub
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                            didi ya check the voltage with a meter

                            dub

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                              Yep, 125.1V (se previous posts)

                            • Jim Kozel
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                                Have you performed a ground fault test on the outlets in your house?

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                                  Wasn't on a GFCI circuit, it was a bedroom outlet. :( Wasn't my house,
                                  either. At least I KNOW the circuits there. TP

                                  Jim Kozel wrote:

                                  > Have you performed a ground fault test on the outlets in your house?
                                  []

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                                    No. How do I do that? Info: the GR-30 died at a club (clean power because our tech wired it) the GR-1 died at home (clean power because my father, an electrician, wired it to VA code... shame I didn't get his skill!)

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 1, 2001
                                      Not bedroom, basement... don't forget the Furman PL-Tuner was in the chain.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                        and the the voltage coming out of the wart is ?

                                        dub

                                        > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                                        > http://www.gr-30.com/
                                        >
                                        > for info: gr-30@...
                                        > to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                        > to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                        > to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                                      • Cristóbal De Jesús
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                          1,2,3...
                                        • Louie
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                            12.4
                                            and the the voltage coming out of the wart is ?

                                            dub

                                            > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                                            > http://www.gr-30.com/
                                            >
                                            > for info: gr-30@...
                                            > to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                            > to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                            > to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                                            http://www.gr-30.com/

                                            for info: gr-30@...
                                            to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                            to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                            to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                                          • Worley, Ron
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                              It has been quite a while since I've done any professional sound
                                              reinforcement work, and I was relying on some old memories and a very rusty
                                              electrical engineering degree. I do recall now that POWER cords (AC as Matt
                                              noted) do develop inductance and should not be coiled.

                                              Also, it is true that running audio and power cords in parallel does
                                              increase chances for noise- we always ran power and audio cable at a 90
                                              degree angle to prevent this.

> [...]

                                              highly recommend that you not use that particular outlet for anything until
                                              you know for sure. The fact that you have experienced this with two
                                              different units is extremely suspicious to me and indicates that something
                                              is definitely going wrong. Perhaps some more particulars about your pedal
                                              board would be useful, what else is on it and how are they interconnected
                                              (it is possible that some odd interaction could occur between the various
                                              items on the pedal board but not terribly likely).

                                              >Just as a tip, it's not good to leave any cords coiled (power, mike, line,
                                              >speaker) at a gig for the same reasons. It also can give you noise
                                              >problems as well.
                                              But so will running cables for close to one another in a linear fashion. A
                                              cable with a good 100% shielding will be fairly impervious to such effects

                                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3036619.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17000321
                                              44:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?mpt=99141
                                              2905> Check out great fares at Orbitz!

                                              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=206662.1458837.3036619.908943/D=egroupmail
                                              /S=1700032144:N/A=682980/rand=453084903>

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                                I'd say to chuck the wall wart and order a new one from Roland!

                                                Jim Kozel wrote:

                                                > Have you performed a ground fault test on the outlets in your house?
                                                []
                                                > > Static? I once had a hair dryer on the same breaker wreak havoc with
                                                an
                                                > > entire digital control system.
                                                > >
                                                > > Is there anything in use that could generate static electricity? We
                                                figured
                                                > > there was a spike of a few thousand volts involved in this event.

                                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                                                http://www.gr-30.com/ <http://www.gr-30.com/>

                                                for info: gr-30@...
                                                to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                                to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                                to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail/S=17000321
                                                44:N/A=682980/*http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/1114-3934-1039-0?mpt=99144
                                                7983> Check out great fares at Orbitz!

                                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=206662.1458837.3039162.908943/D=egroupmail
                                                /S=1700032144:N/A=682980/rand=129899036>

                                                The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera
                                                http://www.gr-30.com/ <http://www.gr-30.com/>

                                                for info: gr-30@...
                                                to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                                to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                                to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com

                                              • Sam Lloyd
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                                  It's possible that the insulation on the transformer windings is breaking down and causing a short. When the unit has been powered up for a while the transformer gets hot and the associated expansion could cause a short that might not occur at cooler temperatures. This problem would be exacerbated if the power was running higher than the nominal 115 or 120 VAC.

                                                  Good Luck,
                                                  Sam
                                                • Tony Pucillo
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 2, 2001
                                                    But if that's without a load on it, it could be right. One of us ought to
                                                    measure our voltage too. (If nobody else does, I'll do it tomorrow, mine is
                                                    at the bass player's house right now.)

                                                    Am I not correct that these values vary considerably with load?

                                                    Tony

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 3, 2001
                                                      It's an inexpensive yellow plug with a couple of leds on it. You plug it in
                                                      and the way the leds light tell you whether the circuit is wired properly.
                                                      They're about $5 at any home improvement center.

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 3, 2001
                                                        Oh, that... yes, I've done that.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 4, 2001
                                                          At 10:04 PM 06/02/2001 -0400, you wrote:

                                                          > But if that's without a load on it, it could be right. One of us
                                                          > ought to
                                                          >measure our voltage too. (If nobody else does, I'll do it tomorrow, mine is
                                                          >at the bass player's house right now.)
                                                          >
                                                          > Am I not correct that these values vary considerably with load?
                                                          >
                                                          > Tony

                                                          Yes they will have a lower output under load than unloaded unless they are
                                                          a regulated type. matt