Re: [GR-30] Wow...

  • Dana Kukkonen
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 31, 2001
      From: "Cristóbal De Jesús" <toby@...>
      > Like Mr. Aguilera likes to say: "Let's kill this thread".

      *KA-BLAM*....plop.

      Now for something completely different. I really like combining the GR-33
      sounds with the guitar sounds. I like the various SAW's mixed with a
      distorted Marshall-type tone. The problem is... with the SAWs varying in
      pitch, it sounds 'out-of-tune'. Is there anyone else doing heavy music with
      their GR-33? What patches are you using?

      Dana
      Malignari.com
    • Dana Kukkonen
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 31, 2001
        Nope, not directly, anyways. I have a Strat with a GK-2AH going to the
        GR-33. The left and right 'outs' of the GR-33 go a small mixer. The guitar
        'out' of the GR-33 goes to a Digitech RP12 with cabinet emulation turned on.
        The left and right 'outs' of the RP12 goes to the same small mixer. The
        control room 'outs' of the mixer go to a rack mount power amp on top of a
        pair of Marshall 4X12 cabs, and I use this for stage
        monitoring/appearance/coolness factor. I set my own levels of guitar
        tone/volume vs synth tone/volume in the mixer. The XLR 'outs' of the mixer
        go to the soundman. I realize the Celestions in the speaker cabs aren't
        'full range', but they're not being mic'ed for live use. I'm also using a
        regular PA power amp for my 'head', and not using a dedicated guitar
        amplifier, so I should be getting a little better 'full range' tone out of
        it. Yes, I could get a Roland KC-500 and run my GR-33 and RP12 into it, and
        still give the soundman the XLR outs of the KC-500, but I'm in a metal band,
        and Marshall stacks still look awesome, and I already owned all the guitar
        gear before getting the GR-33.

        Dana
        Malignari.com

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1 12:08 AM
          I don't think scrolling is the problem here. We have people from all over
          the world on this list and some are not on very high speed connections. The
          more K added to a post the longer it is to download, add 5 replies to the
          first post and you have a pretty big e-mail. Some of the subscribers are on
          digest mode which means they receive all the posts for that day in one
          e-mail, that makes an even bigger e-mail that can reach over 300k. I am not
          sure how Europe is doing with the internet these days but a while back they
          didn't have unlimited usage like we do. They had to pay per minute charges I
          believe <-- correct me if I am wrong.

          Not to mention it's just damn confusing when you have some e-mail clients
          that place the quoted e-mail before the response.

          People will forget of course and be quick to press reply but we will
          always have somebody annoyed enough to remind us. It's just a courtesy call.

          Anyhow that's not what I wanted to say .. Cristobal and anybody else who
          this may pertain to ... I am not into censoring anybody's words here but
          let's tone down the language a bit. I don't mind saying this because the F
          word really doesn't do anything for your post.

          Any replies, complaints, or F words should be sent to
          arkham@... and not the list.

          Joey Aguilera
          </moderator>

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1 12:10 AM
            Tony,
            If you are the moderator on this list, then you are doing your job. If you
            are the moderator, then, my apologies are in order. If you are not the
            moderator, then, you are out of line telling people how they should "behave"
            (that's patronizing). Perhaps, you were just reminding people of the "rules
            of the list" set by the moderator of the list. I am unaware of these
            "rules", so maybe, I need to take a closer look at them. Believe it or not,
            this board is important to me. I don't really mean to distrupt it in any
            way. I am on this list to learn about new technologies in music, and I get
            something out of every post.

            Yes, I've been abrasive, but look at some of the things I've been abrasive
            about: The beauty of a Parker guitar (the thing is hideous, damn it), etc...
            About my last comment, I truly did not realize Christobal De Jesus was his
            name (He signed his name "Toby", but now I see the connection). I thought it
            was some religious org or the name of some church. Yes, I was kind of ugly
            because I don't like religion pushed down my throat everywhere I turn.
            Church or State, it matters not anymore (in this country). So, in any case,
            my apologies to all whom I have offended.

            I am a serious student of the guitar, and I am here to learn from those with
            more musical experience than I have. I will try very hard to refrain from
            answering any "off the topic" post (even if it says, a parker guitar is a
            thing of beauty) and/or posting anything unrelated to the theme of this list.

            I am now on a self-induced exile.

            Mete

          • GR-30
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1 12:12 AM
              Woops .. sorry Cristobal that last e-mail was directed at chembooks@...
              not you. And look at what a terrible moderator I am .. I forgot to edit the
              email :)

            • cloffo@sonic.net
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1 1:19 AM
                > Mete, that was totally inappropriate, as I have detailed more
                >specifically in
                >a private email.
                >
                > Fundamental courtesy and the suggestions laid down by the
                >moderator on this
                >list call for editing unneeded text in replies. It's a basic proposition in
                >these lists, and there have been a dozen reminders in the last six months.
                >
                > And you owe at least Cristobal an apology especially for your last
                >sentence
                >which was beyond inappropriate.
                >
                > Tony Pucillo
                >
                >Chembooks@... wrote:
                >[]
                >> Let people write the way they see fit without you dudes trying to control
                >> this board. [] Delete
                >> the fukking thing, and let the rest of us be. As you can tell, I despise
                >> control freaks, so don't do it dude.
                >> Praise the Lord Christobal De Hesus.

                MY TWO CENTS: I save myself considerable aggravation by going down my list
                of new emails from this list each day and Deleting anything from
                "Chembooks" (this "Mete" person) without reading what he has to say.
                Experience has shown that "Mete" is invariably rude and insulting and never
                has anything meaningful to contribute to the discussions.
              • hohral@web.de
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 1 5:05 AM
                  Hi Joey,
                  just for your info: Europe (Germany in my case) still has a lot of users who
                  use providers charging them by the minute (including tel. charges - yes, we
                  also have to pay each city call!). Also small places have to make a long
                  distance call to the next provider IF it is not Telekom, AOL, or the like,
                  which offer flat-rates. So every minute counts, as -depending on the time of
                  the day - each hour can cost between 50 cents up to $2! Take that in mind
                  when posting huge mails, cause not everybody has a flat-rate with isdn or
                  cable. Tks for mentioning this!
                  Ralf

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 1 8:05 AM
                    Hi,
                    i guess (hope) nobody needs to know the "rules" of this forum, as they are
                    obviously the same rules as in everyday life. Just be polite, respect
                    others - even if their opinion may differ from yours, etc.....
                    I enjoy other peoples opinions, even IF they are ridiculous in my point of
                    view. Just let em be...nobody forces you to agree. But this way i sometimes
                    find get equipment, patches, playing styles i would not have come accross
                    otherwise. And remember - liking something is ALWAYS subjective (thanks
                    god), otherwise every instrument, piece of music, relationship etc. would be
                    da same. Always heaven is hell!
                    Ralf
                    Tony,
                    If you are the moderator on this list, then you are doing your job. If
                    you

                  • Cristóbal De Jesús
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 1 9:21 AM
                      Fukking is misspelled.

                      Let people write the way they see fit without you dudes trying to control
                      this board. If you don't want to read something, scroll down man. Do me a
                      favor and stop patronizing the rest of us. Everybody gets something out of
                      all the posts whatever the way they are posted. It looks familiar? Delete

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 1 10:01 AM
                        The last time I said something so powerful a wedding was cancelled!

                        I just want to say that I deal with different types of people everyday and
                        the rude letter was well taken, although I had to dig some to not let the
                        tone cloud the message. It's about the message, not the messenger.

                        Order is about control. It's about formats, standards, rules, tradition,
                        religion or whatever motivation. Nevertheless, order is all about control.
                        The internet have fed the idea of total freedom of expression, which is ok.
                        But as soon as a group of people starts socializing via internet, and the
                        more acquainted they become about each other, the basic social rules start
                        to implicitly apply. They do not have to be written, it just human nature.
                        And, as natural phenomena, most people don't mind following such rules.
                        This have its negative points too: a smart guy can manipulate many people by
                        just understanding how this works, among other things. That is, if the
                        message gets decorated by the messenger...

                        Let's not be so uptight about suggestions that may affect slightly the way
                        we interact. I wasn't expecting an immediate approval, nor I was expecting
                        an attack, but then, people are different.

                        By the way, my name is Cristóbal De Jesús, nicknamed Toby. I save 14
                        keystrokes with the former.

                        Like Mr. Aguilera likes to say: "Let's kill this thread".
                      • Tony Pucillo
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 1 11:39 AM
                          Yes, and yes, and enough said. We are all here for the same reason.

                          Unfortunately, my GR-30 occasionally emits bleeps and squawks. So do we
                          all. We fix it and move on.

                          TP

                        • Lucidology@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 1 1:35 PM
                            Dana.......are you running your GR-33 through your Marshall?

                            Josef,
                            Monterey, CA.

                          • Darren Littlejohn
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 1 2:10 PM
                              I run my GR-33 thru the mixer, with the synth going to the Fender Passport
                              PA, very rich, full bodied and aromatic - and the guitar going either thru
                              the POD Pro and out thru the mixer to the Polytone and Peavy Classic 50 or
                              the Polytone and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, OR the same amp configuration but
                              thru the Lexicon MPX-G2 first. I won't go into the difference between the
                              effects units but to say that for heavy I use POD Pro and for clean(er) I
                              use MPX-G2. I'm noticing that nice pad sounds and the Univybe with rate
                              linked to the pedal make for some interesting layers. When I find something
                              I like I run a little loop on the Boomerang and send that either to the
                              monitors or the amps, depending.

                              Is it any wonder I'm up until 0400 every night? Don't get me started on
                              using other synths or get wood and start recording. BTW I'd love to
                              collaborate with somebody if you're into this kind of thing.

                              Check me out at www.mp3.com/blacksamba

                              -d
                            • Darren Littlejohn
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 1 2:12 PM
                                I just picked up one of these, and have gotten NO sleep since:

                                http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/SAP-1.html
                              • Tony Pucillo
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 1 2:32 PM
                                  Aaaaarrrrrrghhhh!!!! (Serves you right!) :(

                                  Darren Littlejohn wrote:

                                  > I just picked up one of these, and have gotten NO sleep since:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/SAP-1.html

                                • Larry Lundgren
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 1 2:45 PM
                                    Love the presets and cheese nob. Don't ya love modeling technology?!

                                    Larry

                                    Darren Littlejohn wrote:

                                    > I just picked up one of these, and have gotten NO sleep since:
                                    >
                                    > http://www.harmony-central.com/Newp/2001/SAP-1.html

                                  • Eric Lovett
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 1 5:50 PM
                                      Vous �tes tous en train de vous agir comme des
                                      enfants, et �a commence � m'emmerder. Le synth� GR30
                                      est un des meilleurs instruments disponibles au march�
                                      aujourd'hui. Utilisez-le et vous n'aurez pas assez de
                                      temps pour nous emmerder comme �a! Merci Tony, t'es
                                      trop sympa de nous laisser nous branler verbalemant
                                      ici! A tout � l'heure!

                                      Eric
                                      > Let people write the way they see fit without you
                                      > dudes trying to control
                                      > this board. If you don't want to read something,
                                      > scroll down man. Do me a
                                      > favor and stop patronizing the rest of us.
                                      > Everybody gets something out of
                                      > all the posts whatever the way they are posted. It
                                      > looks familiar? Delete
                                      > the fukking thing, and let the rest of us be. As
                                      > you can tell, I despise
                                      > control freaks, so don't do it dude.
                                      > Praise the Lord Christobal De Hesus.

                                      > removed]
                                      >

                                      > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey
                                      > Aguilera
                                      > http://www.gr-30.com/
                                      >
                                      > for info: gr-30@...
                                      > to post: gr-30@egroups.com
                                      > to set digest GR-30-digest@egroups.com
                                      > to set normal GR-30-normal@egroups.com
                                      >
                                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                    • Tony Pucillo
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 1 7:09 PM
                                        Merci Erik, mais je ne mérite pas votre éloge.

                                        Surely you mean Toby!

                                        TP

                                        Eric Lovett wrote:

                                        > Vous êtes tous en train de vous agir comme des
                                        > enfants, et ça commence à m'emmerder. Le synthé GR30
                                        > est un des meilleurs instruments disponibles au marché
                                        > aujourd'hui. Utilisez-le et vous n'aurez pas assez de
                                        > temps pour nous emmerder comme ça! Merci Tony, t'es
                                        > trop sympa de nous laisser nous branler verbalemant
                                        > ici! A tout à l'heure!
                                        >
                                        > Eric
                                        > --- Cristóbal_De_Jesús <toby@...> wrote:
                                        > > Fukking is misspelled.

                                      • Darren Littlejohn
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 1 9:32 PM
                                          did you get the joke?

                                          Sloof Lirpa spelled backwards....
                                        • Stephen Szajna
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 1 9:35 PM
                                            This is the first thing on this string that has made any sense.

                                            SteveSZ

                                          • Lucidology@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 2 12:28 AM
                                              Yes....and April Fool's day to you to Jazzman..

                                              Your Black Samba stuff was very interesting........sort of new age-y with an
                                              edge.......cool!

                                              ciao,
                                              Josef

                                            • Darren Littlejohn
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 2 12:41 AM
                                                thanks man. I'm going to work hard on some more stuff and try to make some
                                                real interesting muziks. As soon as I can play the arpeggios on my guitar as
                                                fast as Frank Gambale on the video....WORD!

                                                -d

                                              • cameron clarke
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 2 12:03 PM
                                                  whoa! did i miss something? have we gone south of the border?

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 2 12:11 PM