GR-30 tracking

  • Barbara_Samuels@timeinc.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Frank Breitweiser wrote:

      <<I just subscribed to your group. I have been interested in midi
      attachments for my guitar for a while now but all the information I have
      been given told me that the technology just wasn't there yet. I was led
      to believe that there were problems in tracking when fast parts were
      played. How accurate is the GR-30? >>

      Hi Frank. I'm new to the list too. And I also joined to find out more. I
      don't own a GR-30 but have tried one several times in stores.

      There is a lot of talk about fast tracking speed, but I didn't find that to be a
      problem. All the guitar synths that I tried had no problems following me on the
      super fast Al DiMeola type runs. Speed per se, was no problem.

      Rather, I found that it is the subtle, guitar-like articulations -- slides,
      strums, pick-offs, hammer-ons -- that is the weak area. Maybe it's just a
      matter of adapting. You definitely have to be a little more careful how you
      pick. And it's important to have it adjusted correctly.

      It's hard to find a music store that is knowledgeable and has it set up right.
      If it's not set up right you'll be frustrated. It took me a while, but I
      finally found a place with one set up correctly, now I'm definitely interested.
      But even the ones that were poorly set up still did well in terms of tracking
      fast runs.

      That's my experience, for what it's worth. Maybe someone with more experience
      could comment on this.

      I'm thinking of getting a GR-33 went it comes out.

      Babz
      nyc