Buzz

  • LouieW
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 4, 2012
      I know I've asked this before, but can't find the thread.

      I have a GR-30... it goes into a Digitech RPM-1 then into a Behringer 1602 then to a Whirlwind Director to the board. I also have it routed out of the DI to a Peavey KB-2 for ambient stage volume. Lately it's developed this loud buzz... not the low level ground hum, but an annoying bee sounding buzz. It happens most every place I play. However...

      I play in two bands... one country with a little classic rock thrown in... one classic rock, with a little country thrown in. We play a lot of the same clubs. In December, the classic rock band played 12/30 at a venue, and the country band played the same venue 12/31. I used my Boogie SOB head and 2X10 cabinet for the guitar signal, and a Peavey KB2 to have ambient guitar synth, and acoustic on stage (no one likes me in their monitor). On the 30th... no matter what I did, the synth channel had this annoying buzz... not a low level hum, the buzzing bee sound! On the 31st, I swapped sides of the stage and plugged my rig into another outlet; no buzz what so ever! However, most of the time the synth channel has a buzz. At first I thought it was because the synth channel wasn't on the same circuit as the PA. Flipping polarity on the DI doesn't do anything... Ebtech hum eliminator doesn't do anything. Has any one had this type problem? What do you do to track it down? Very frustrating.
    • Jimi Photon
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2012
        *if you run your guitar signal and synth signal to two separate rigs, the
        synth will hum because of a ground loop. i don't use the little jumper
        between the guitar and gk pickup, and keep the synth set on "synth"..if on
        guitar or both, the problem will be exacerbated.

        if you do use the little jumper, don't know what to tell you...but you are
        definitely describing a ground loop.

        good luck mate
        pjp
        *

        --
        "another episode from my Twilight Zone dreams...."
        ~pinkjimiphoton

        "hatred breeds hatred, talk is cheap.
        let your hatred die, bury it six feet deep."
        ~Mark Easton

        "the takers get the honey,
        the givers sing the blues"
        ~Robin Trower

        ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

      • LouieW
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
          Well... I figured it out. I went to the gig early tonight (last night) and started checking things out. I muted all the channels on the Behringer 1602 and was going to start checking one channel at a time. I noticed with everything muted the buzz was gone. In this mixer I have the acoustic output of my Variax going into an MXR 10 band EQ then into the board... I also have my GR-30 going into two channels (running the board mono)... and my harp mic. I turned on the acoustic channel and the buzz returned. From the Variax XPS footswitch, the XLR output was going into an XLR to 1/4 adapter and into the MXR. I replaced the adapter with an impedance transformer and once again had the quiet I've been wanting. So... my stupid self caused the problem!

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Jimi Photon <phatjbp@...> wrote:

          > *if you run your guitar signal and synth signal to two separate rigs, the
          > synth will hum because of a ground loop. i don't use the little jumper
          > between the guitar and gk pickup, and keep the synth set on "synth"..if on
          > guitar or both, the problem will be exacerbated.
          >
          > if you do use the little jumper, don't know what to tell you...but you are
          > definitely describing a ground loop.
          >
          > good luck mate
          > pjp
          > *
          > On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM, LouieW <es336td@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I know I've asked this before, but can't find the thread.
          > >
          > > I have a GR-30... it goes into a Digitech RPM-1 then into a Behringer 1602
          > > then to a Whirlwind Director to the board. I also have it routed out of the
          > > DI to a Peavey KB-2 for ambient stage volume. Lately it's developed this
          > > loud buzz... not the low level ground hum, but an annoying bee sounding
          > > buzz. It happens most every place I play. However...
          > >
          > > I play in two bands... one country with a little classic rock thrown in...
          > > one classic rock, with a little country thrown in. We play a lot of the
          > > same clubs. In December, the classic rock band played 12/30 at a venue, and
          > > the country band played the same venue 12/31. I used my Boogie SOB head and
          > > 2X10 cabinet for the guitar signal, and a Peavey KB2 to have ambient guitar
          > > synth, and acoustic on stage (no one likes me in their monitor). On the
          > > 30th... no matter what I did, the synth channel had this annoying buzz...
          > > not a low level hum, the buzzing bee sound! On the 31st, I swapped sides of
          > > the stage and plugged my rig into another outlet; no buzz what so ever!
          > > However, most of the time the synth channel has a buzz. At first I thought
          > > it was because the synth channel wasn't on the same circuit as the PA.
          > > Flipping polarity on the DI doesn't do anything... Ebtech hum eliminator
          > > doesn't do anything. Has any one had this type problem? What do you do to
          > > track it down? Very frustrating.
          > >

          > --
          > "another episode from my Twilight Zone dreams...."
          > ~pinkjimiphoton
          >
          > "hatred breeds hatred, talk is cheap.
          > let your hatred die, bury it six feet deep."
          > ~Mark Easton
          >
          > "the takers get the honey,
          > the givers sing the blues"
          > ~Robin Trower
          >
          > â"Œâˆ©â"(◣_◢)â"Œâˆ©â"

        • Jimi Photon
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
            *you're not stupid bud.
            glad ya figured it out!
            jimi
            *
            On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 4:27 AM, LouieW <es336td@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > thought
            > > > it was because the synth channel wasn't on the same circuit as the PA.
            > > > Flipping polarity on the DI doesn't do anything... Ebtech hum
            > eliminator
            > > > doesn't do anything. Has any one had this type problem? What do you do
            > > > track it down? Very frustrating.
            > > >

            > > --
            > > "another episode from my Twilight Zone dreams...."
            > > ~pinkjimiphoton
            > >
            > > "hatred breeds hatred, talk is cheap.
            > > let your hatred die, bury it six feet deep."
            > > ~Mark Easton
            > >
            > > "the takers get the honey,
            > > the givers sing the blues"
            > > ~Robin Trower
            > >
            > > â"Œâˆ©â" (â—£_â—¢)â"Œâˆ©â"

            "another episode from my Twilight Zone dreams...."
            ~pinkjimiphoton

            "hatred breeds hatred, talk is cheap.
            let your hatred die, bury it six feet deep."

          • Glynn W
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
              Interesting that this resolved your problem.  I should have listened more closely, as I believe the manual instructs that in order for the unit NOT to buzz, that the GK2/GK3 REQUIRES you plug the guitar directly into the GK2/GK3 module to eliminate the possibility of buzz.  I know that instruction came on the paperwork insert of the GK3 modules that I bought.  It appears that you separated them out and plugged the guitar from the guitar itself, directly into an individual mixer channel (carrying the buzz), instead of running the two cables in either this way (by running the guitar directly into the GK2/GK3 module; then out of the GR-30 you send either a SINGLE MONO cable to the mixer for the SYNTH sounds.  This would require that you run a cable from the GUITAR OUT to a separate channel on the mixing board; OR you could run a stereo (2 cable) signal to two separate mixer channels from the SEND on the GR30 for the SYNTH sounds (which does incorporate
              the GR30 natural guitar signal from your instrument through the GK3 module.  This also requires that you run a short cable from the guitar to the on-board GK2/GK3 module, in any case.  PLUS...for both configurations, you would have to run a GUITAR OUT cable to the mixer - in any case - to get a live guitar sound.  Fortunately, you could always run the GUITAR OUT to a guitar pedal unit of your choice before running it into the mixer/board.  Why?  Because then you have your natural guitar sound through the GK2/GK3 in the down position; a guitar/synth mix in the middle position; and a just synth sound in the full up position.  What's great is the you can bypass (turn off) the pedal signal also to limit your sounds - but it still gives you the flexibility to enhance your sound by adding another tailored sound to your repertoire (either simultaneously or "on the fly").  Anyways, the best way to eliminate your buzzes is to use high quality cables AND a
              good hum eliminator in the first place.  Also, if you install a set of Mogami XLR cables between the mixer and the power amp, you will eliminate a lot of the buzz by doing this alone.  However, the cables ain't exactly cheap...but they are WORTH IT.  That's all I've got.  Take care.

              Jazz

              Glynn W. Pettiford
              124 Hanover Boulevard
              Browns Mills, NJ 08015
              HM : 609-248-5524
              Cell : 609-784-4508
              SKYPE : 909-581-4683
              SKYPENAME : Jazz4ya

            • Glynn W
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                BTW...I also discovered that you could run a patch cable from the GUITAR OUT directly into the RETURN (mono or stereo) and it would cleanly boost the guitar signal that carries through the SENDS output.  This means also that you can 1.  Run a cable from the GUITAR OUT to your pedal board - then from your pedal board to the RETURNS and select the complete panacea of your floor pedal board, instead of just a dry guitar signal in your mix.

                Jazz

                Glynn W. Pettiford
                124 Hanover Boulevard
                Browns Mills, NJ 08015
                HM : 609-248-5524
                Cell : 609-784-4508
                SKYPE : 909-581-4683
                SKYPENAME : Jazz4ya

              • Jimi Photon
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                  *i split both outputs, i don't like the buffering of the straight guitar
                  signal...it messes with my fuzzface putting a buffered signal in. i just
                  keep the gk pickup set on synth...it only buzzes if set to guitar or both
                  on the gk pickup. i think it sounds better this way...personal preference.
                  i don't want my guitar signal going thru the synth.

                  i DO use the loop in the synth however to loop in my other roland guitar
                  synths tho...take a midi cable from say the midi out of the gr30 to the
                  midi in of the gr09, and then take the stereo outs of the gr09 to the
                  stereo returns of the gr30...works great, and i only need two channels on
                  my mixer.
                  ;)

                  peace
                  photon
                  *

                • gspade66@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                    Wow! Thanks for that. It never dawned on me. I know what I'm playing with later.

                    Those of you that haven't checked it out yet, I encourage checking out reverbnation.com. It's a really good place to connect with local (and national and global) musicians. I'm not whoring for their site, I honestly dig it.

                    Cheers, people.
                    BTW...I also discovered that you could run a patch cable from the GUITAR OUT directly into the RETURN (mono or stereo) and it would cleanly boost the guitar signal that carries through the SENDS output.  This means also that you can 1.  Run a cable from the GUITAR OUT to your pedal board - then from your pedal board to the RETURNS and select the complete panacea of your floor pedal board, instead of just a dry guitar signal in your mix.

                    Jazz

                    Glynn W. Pettiford
                    124 Hanover Boulevard
                    Browns Mills, NJ 08015
                    HM : 609-248-5524
                    Cell : 609-784-4508
                    SKYPE : 909-581-4683
                    SKYPENAME : Jazz4ya

                    >________________________________

                  • LouieW
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                      I guess I am confusing my set up here... When I use my MIM GR-Strat, I connect the 13 pin and use the guitar out on the GR-30. However, at this time, I am using a Line6 Variax 600. The Variax uses a TRS cable to power the modeling unit and send the signal out. I made a little snake with a 13 pin cable and the TRS that I use with this guitar, so the little cable is avoided. Back when I had this GK-2 on a PRS Standard, I used the little cable. The jack in the GK became a problem and would cut out, so I abandoned using it, and would use a wireless for the guitar signal.

                      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Glynn W <glynnpetti@...> wrote:

                      > Interesting that this resolved your problem.  I should have listened more closely, as I believe the manual instructs that in order for the unit NOT to buzz, that the GK2/GK3 REQUIRES you plug the guitar directly into the GK2/GK3 module to eliminate the possibility of buzz.  I know that instruction came on the paperwork insert of the GK3 modules that I bought.  It appears that you separated them out and plugged the guitar from the guitar itself, directly into an individual mixer channel (carrying the buzz), instead of running the two cables in either this way (by running the guitar directly into the GK2/GK3 module; then out of the GR-30 you send either a SINGLE MONO cable to the mixer for the SYNTH sounds.  This would require that you run a cable from the GUITAR OUT to a separate channel on the mixing board; OR you could run a stereo (2 cable) signal to two separate mixer channels from the SEND on the GR30 for the SYNTH sounds (which does incorporate
                      > the GR30 natural guitar signal from your instrument through the GK3 module.  This also requires that you run a short cable from the guitar to the on-board GK2/GK3 module, in any case.  PLUS...for both configurations, you would have to run a GUITAR OUT cable to the mixer - in any case - to get a live guitar sound.  Fortunately, you could always run the GUITAR OUT to a guitar pedal unit of your choice before running it into the mixer/board.  Why?  Because then you have your natural guitar sound through the GK2/GK3 in the down position; a guitar/synth mix in the middle position; and a just synth sound in the full up position.  What's great is the you can bypass (turn off) the pedal signal also to limit your sounds - but it still gives you the flexibility to enhance your sound by adding another tailored sound to your repertoire (either simultaneously or "on the fly").  Anyways, the best way to eliminate your buzzes is to use high quality cables AND a
                      > good hum eliminator in the first place.  Also, if you install a set of Mogami XLR cables between the mixer and the power amp, you will eliminate a lot of the buzz by doing this alone.  However, the cables ain't exactly cheap...but they are WORTH IT.  That's all I've got.  Take care.
                      >
                      > Jazz
                      >
                      > Glynn W. Pettiford
                      > 124 Hanover Boulevard
                      > Browns Mills, NJ 08015
                      > HM : 609-248-5524
                      > Cell : 609-784-4508
                      > SKYPE : 909-581-4683
                      > SKYPENAME : Jazz4ya
                      >

                      > >________________________________

                    • Glynn W
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
                        Ergo the buzz that you were getting.  The manual REQUIRES that plug in "the little cable" that goes from guitar to GK2/GK3, because doing THAT assures that it does not buzz through the GK33.  (Glad you clarified it is the GR-33 instead of a GR-30).  Well, you resolved it your way, hope it keeps working for you.

                        Jazz

                        Glynn W. Pettiford
                        124 Hanover Boulevard
                        Browns Mills, NJ 08015