Re: GR-55 vs RackVax + GR-30

  • LouieW
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2011
      No one?

    • gspade66@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2011
        I haven't played with one yet, but the rackvax doesn't seem very inspiring. At least not enought to lure me away from the GR-30 and 33.

        Happy hunting.
        > I have a GR-30 and a Line 6 Variax 600. The 600 seems to need new piezos... and I've been researching repair/replacement options. The GR-55 intrigues me, but the reason I bought the Variax is I thought it exceeded the VG at the time. Now with the 600 in need of repair, I want to try and have it resurrected as a RackVax http://www.rackvax.com Anyone had any experience with this unit?
        >

        > Thanx!

      • LouieW
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2011
          Not looking to replace the GR-30... looking to create the poor man's GR-55... I currently have a Variax 600. It's a cheap guitar, but the sounds, IMHO, are better than the VG series. RackVax now takes Variax 500/700 models and converts them into their rack system. They play to do 300/600 models soon. If I can get that done for less than the GR-55, then to me it's worth it. I then have the guitar modeling and synth and can drive them both with a GK. Guess I should explain better before I wonder why I don't get responses. Thanx for the response!

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, gspade66@... wrote:

          > I haven't played with one yet, but the rackvax doesn't seem very inspiring. At least not enought to lure me away from the GR-30 and 33.
        • Davor Pavuna
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
            I think that Rackvax is too expensive !
            I paid $300 for my red Variax300
            and even added to it a 13pin out!

            **

            > I have a GR-30 and a Line 6 Variax 600. The 600 seems to need new piezos...
            > and I've been researching repair/replacement options. The GR-55 intrigues
            > me, but the reason I bought the Variax is I thought it exceeded the VG at
            > the time. Now with the 600 in need of repair, I want to try and have it
            > resurrected as a RackVax http://www.rackvax.com Anyone had any experience
            > with this unit?
            >
            > Thanx!

          • LouieW
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
              Agreed... but from what I understand, in the near future, they will be offering to convert 300/600's to that format for 1/2 the cost or less. To me, that would be ideal. Right now, I installed one of the batteries in my Vax backwards, and blew a power resistor so I cannot use battery power. I also had to shield the metal case they have around the circuit board; it would cause problems depending on heat/humidity, etc. Now the piezos will cut out after a little over an hour of use. If I unplug it from the power supply when not in use, I can get through a whole night. Converting it to a rack unit would not require the piezos or the battery power and I could use my GR-Ready Strat to drive it. To me it's the cost effective alternative.

              --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Davor Pavuna <davor.pavuna@...> wrote:

              > I think that Rackvax is too expensive !
              > I paid $300 for my red Variax300
              > and even added to it a 13pin out!
              >

              > **
              > >

              > > I have a GR-30 and a Line 6 Variax 600. The 600 seems to need new piezos...
              > > and I've been researching repair/replacement options. The GR-55 intrigues
              > > me, but the reason I bought the Variax is I thought it exceeded the VG at
              > > the time. Now with the 600 in need of repair, I want to try and have it
              > > resurrected as a RackVax http://www.rackvax.com Anyone had any experience
              > > with this unit?
              > >
              > > Thanx!

            • Robert Morley
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2011
                Now that sounds like an interesting project, a 13 pin socket on a variax. Are you able to combine the Variax sounds with Roland sounds or is it just one or the other. I'd love to know how you did it, I have a Vax 300 which rarely gets played now, I used to use it through a POD X3 live, and thought about fitting a GK3 to it, but wouldn't want to run it on batteries and didn't want to have 2 leads trailing from the guitar. I also have a Vax 300 body without the electronics, fitted with a Strat neck which I'm getting a custom scratchplate/pickguard made for so that I can transplant the pickups and electronics of a Roland ready strat into. For anyone cringing at the thought of cannibalising a Strat to fit into what many consider to be an ugly variax body, I never had the body just the scratchplate assembly and electronics, so no sacrilege was committed, in any case I actually like the Variax body,and with a strat like scratchplate and real pickups I think it'll look pretty cool.
                Rob