Re: Godin LGXT too hot

  • tekrytor
    Message 1 of 26 , May 1, 2010
      First I would try another cable. A spare is good to have anyway.

      Then I would call Godin tech support and ask them.

      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <ken@...> wrote:

      > Hi M2,
      >

      > "tighten the screws on either side of the pickup to push the pickup further
      > away from the strings"
      >

      > The pickup on the LGXT is the bridge. It can't be moved further away from
      > the strings.
      >

      > Ken

    • James
      Message 2 of 26 , May 1, 2010
        The advice is rather useless when the string sits directly on the pickup.

        James
        .
        .

        > Posted by: "M2" openthepodbaydoor_hal@...
        > <mailto:openthepodbaydoor_hal@...?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Godin%20LGXT%20too%20%20hot>
        > openthepodbaydoor_hal
        > <http://profiles.yahoo.com/openthepodbaydoor_hal>
        >

        > Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 am (PDT)
        >

        > Sorry to hear that Ken, the majority of synth pickup installations
        > feature a drilled cavity that enables the guitarist to lower the
        > pickup into the recess, via turn screws, one located on each end of
        > the pickup. The fact that the bridge and the pickup and integrated is
        > a flawed design indeed. The only other option, and you won't like it
        > is to set up the guitar strings with higher action, thus increasing
        > the gap between the pickups and the strings.....
        > .
        >
        > If you can't do this, then you are out of luck.
        > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GR-30%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ken"
        > <ken@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi M2,
        > >

        > > "tighten the screws on either side of the pickup to push the pickup
        > further
        > > away from the strings"
        > >

        > > The pickup on the LGXT is the bridge. It can't be moved further away
        > from
        > > the strings.
        > >

        > > Ken

      • James
        Message 3 of 26 , May 1, 2010
          Having a second cable is probably a good idea, but there's no way the
          cable is making the signal "hotter". Cables typically incur losses, not
          gains.

          James
          .
          .

        • zanderbrown@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 26 , May 2, 2010
            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "zanderbrown@..." <zanderbrown@...> wrote:

            > Hi.
            > Im a newbie, having owned a GR33 and a GR20 for about 6 months.
            > I recently bought a Godin LGXT second hand. Im having problems setting the sensitivity on it.
            > Even with sensitivity on the GR down to 1 the Godin overloads the GR input meter even with a medium strum.
            > The Godin has the older LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I have turned the piezo output to minimum on the circuit board inside the guitar.
            > Anyone else got this problem or who can help?
            > Thanks

            Thanks for all the replies so far guys.
            I have 3 leads, so I dont think that is the problem.
            I also own an axon ax100 and a GK3 equipped strat.
            Although the strat doesnt track nearly as well as the Godin, it doesnt have the 'overload' problem, which mainly manifests itself on the 5th and 6th strings making it very difficult to play those strings softly. I dont get the problem with the Godin into the axon, or with a Roland GR20 I had briefly. I much prefer the sound of the GR33, but keep going back to the axon because of the lower strings problem.
          • Maciej Gornicki
            Message 5 of 26 , May 2, 2010
              zanderbrown@... wrote:
              > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "zanderbrown@..." <zanderbrown@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi.
              >> Im a newbie, having owned a GR33 and a GR20 for about 6 months.
              >> I recently bought a Godin LGXT second hand. Im having problems setting the sensitivity on it.
              >> Even with sensitivity on the GR down to 1 the Godin overloads the GR input meter even with a medium strum.
              >> The Godin has the older LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I have turned the piezo output to minimum on the circuit board inside the guitar.
              >> Anyone else got this problem or who can help?
              >> Thanks
              >>

              > Thanks for all the replies so far guys.
              > I have 3 leads, so I dont think that is the problem.
              > I also own an axon ax100 and a GK3 equipped strat.
              > Although the strat doesnt track nearly as well as the Godin, it doesnt have the 'overload' problem, which mainly manifests itself on the 5th and 6th strings making it very difficult to play those strings softly. I dont get the problem with the Godin into the axon, or with a Roland GR20 I had briefly. I much prefer the sound of the GR33, but keep going back to the axon because of the lower strings problem.

              There is one more thing you could try, that is a different kind of
              strings. Lighter strings usually give less powerful sound. You could
              even damp the strings a bit by lubricating them with a little oil (I
              know that sounds crazy, but it doesn't hurt to try).

              --
              Maciej Gornicki
              Fundacja Opoka Gliwice
              Message 6 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                Hi Maciej

                On 03/05/2010 you wrote;

                MG> There is one more thing you could try, that is a different kind of
                MG> strings. Lighter strings usually give less powerful sound.

                I'm not sure this is good advice. Light gauge strings will tend to
                track worse than heavy gauge ones.

                MG> You could even damp the strings a bit by lubricating them with a
                MG> little oil (I know that sounds crazy, but it doesn't hurt to try).

                I am sure this isn't good advice!!

                Graeme Jaye

                graemejaye@...

                Audio Restoration and Location Sound Recording
                http://www.personal-cd.com

                Hobby Musician - find some of my stuff here
                http://www.indiehitz.net/html/bands/19/
              • Dale Dunphy
                Message 7 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                  Hi folks.

                  I may have some useful info to share re what the original poster calls a
                  'too hot' output from the LGXT.

                  One of the beautiful things about the Godin 3-voice guitars is just that,
                  the ability to blend 3 input sources as one desires. However, that very
                  flexibility can be your worst enemy when it comes to diagnosis of tone or
                  distorted tone situations.

                  I have found that it is very easy to get a 'too hot' output if the peizo
                  output slider (the one on the leftmost position) is set too high. In most
                  of my cases in my patches I rarely use piezo *at all* in conjunction with
                  the synth or the Seymour Duncan magnetics.

                  You may also want to pay attention to how you are cabling the guitar to your
                  amplifier or recording console. I rarely use anything but the 13-pin
                  connection. It allows you to use all three voices on its own. I have found
                  that using multiple input jacks plugged in introduces a latency between the
                  multiple signals which can be frustrating to correct.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Dale

                • T W
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                    Am I understanding you correctly in saying that use ONLY the 13 pin to control:

                    1. The Synth
                    2. Electric Guitar
                    3. Piezo Pickup

                    What do you use for your guitar tones? (I use a Line 6 X3 Pod Live)

                    I have a GR-30 synth

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                      Graeme Jaye wrote:
                      > Hi Maciej
                      >
                      > On 03/05/2010 you wrote;
                      >
                      > MG> There is one more thing you could try, that is a different kind of
                      > MG> strings. Lighter strings usually give less powerful sound.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure this is good advice. Light gauge strings will tend to
                      > track worse than heavy gauge ones.

                      Maybe, but remember the problem is not poor tracking (like missed notes
                      or high latency) but tracking that's too hot. I have experimented a lot
                      with GR33 and different strings and my advice is based on my practice.
                      Bad tracking can also be due to higher amount of overtones that some
                      strings produce. Most light gauge strings actually produce "duller"
                      sound, with fewer overtones.
                      > MG> You could even damp the strings a bit by lubricating them with a
                      > MG> little oil (I know that sounds crazy, but it doesn't hurt to try).
                      >
                      > I am sure this isn't good advice!!

                      I know perfectly well that this sounds crazy, but it could work as a
                      last resort. Normally, guitarists won't do that because it kills the
                      natural sound of the string. But it will also limit the ability of a
                      string to vibrate, resulting in a less powerful sound. What I mean is
                      just a drop of oil that one can put between two fingers (or on a soft
                      cloth) and run along the string that's too loud. I tried it many years
                      ago with a guitar which had poor quality single coils that couldn't be
                      adjusted properly and it worked!

                      --
                      Maciej Gornicki
                    • Dale Dunphy
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 2, 2010
                        Hi again.

                        I have a fairly simple yet a description is warranted I guess.

                        I use a Roland VG-88 for my guitar sounds and the GR-33 for synth
                        embellishments (I prefer horn settings, the occasional piano, and the great
                        Hammond B3 organ sound you can get from the GR-33)

                        I have a pedal-board with the VG-88 as pedal A and GR-33 as B.

                        I plug my 13-pin into a Roland US-20 switch which can enable control of 2
                        devices in an A/B mode allowing either A or B or both. Roland's US-20 is
                        overpriced for what it does, but that is another story.

                        I run a midi cable from the Midi-Out on the GR-33 to the Midi-In on the
                        VG-88, thus making my song titles on the GR-33 the master for the tune I am
                        performing. Thus, I can cycle up and down through my patches on the GR-33
                        using the toggle switch on the LGXT and the VG-88 automatically changes to
                        the desired tone setup on the VG-88 that I want to complement whatever is
                        going on on my GR-33.

                        I run all of my sounds either through our band's mixing board (during which
                        I use the 2 Roland KB-300's merely monitors) or directly through twin
                        KB-300 amplifiers (during which I can mike the outputs of the KB-300's or
                        line-out to the mixing console). If I use the KB-300's directly, I can cause
                        the very useful panning features of the Roland gear to cause sounds to pan
                        left or right or even drift across the stage. Such panning effects can be
                        useful if not over-done.

                        Using merely the 13-pin connection, I have full access to all 3 voices of
                        the LGXT.

                        Getting back to your initial issue, sometimes I will turn up the volume
                        switch of the piezo by mistake and my band mates will say "what happened to
                        your sound, you are all distorted and over-driven".

                        A topic for another time will be the cheap construction and plague of cold
                        solder joints on the main board of the GR-33 that can cause intermittent
                        loss of signal.

                        I hope this helps.

                        Dale

                      • zanderbrown@btinternet.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2010
                          Just an update....
                          After reading through this forum I found a GR30 on evil bay going cheap, so I bought it.
                          No problems with the Godin with this one, the sensitivity seems to be about the same as the GR20.
                          In addition to this, I find I prefer the sounds and the interface on the GR30 to the GR33 so Im a very happy camper.
                          The tracking with the Godin is superb. Love it.

                          Cheers for all the replies guys.

                          Andy

                          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "zanderbrown@..." <zanderbrown@...> wrote:

                          > Hi.
                          > Im a newbie, having owned a GR33 and a GR20 for about 6 months.
                          > I recently bought a Godin LGXT second hand. Im having problems setting the sensitivity on it.
                          > Even with sensitivity on the GR down to 1 the Godin overloads the GR input meter even with a medium strum.
                          > The Godin has the older LR Baggs piezo bridge, and I have turned the piezo output to minimum on the circuit board inside the guitar.
                          > Anyone else got this problem or who can help?
                          > Thanks

                        • J B
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19, 2010
                            Glad you like it, I quite enjoy mine!