Old sounds - What to do?

  • Luckisup
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hello,

      I need you help and good ideas for my system setup. Since many years I own a GR 30 and I was happy with unit. But now, since I really would like to update my sounds, I look for new options and would like to change. If I am wright there is no possibility to modify the gr-30 to really get new and modern sounds. So, what t do?
      I really like good and organic synth sounds. E.g. Spectrasonics Atmosphere, etc.pp. In general I mixed my orginal guitar sound "tastefully" with pad sounds, sitar, flute or whatever made sense for the music I was playing. I guess you do the same. The VG 99 is no option for me. The unit is too big and heavy for traveling and it is not synth in the manner the GR units are.

      Here is my questions:

      1. When replace my gr-30 with midi converter like the Roland GI20 and trigger e.g a VST plugin via Logic Audio on a Mac book, can I expect at least the same tracking like I had with GR-30.

      2. In case not, what can I do?

      I would appreciate any helpful hint, answer to my mail. Please help, I will leave my country on 22nd of October. I will do this forever (hopefully) and will very depend on the things I take with me.

      Many thanks,
      Lucky

    • pjoneal35
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2008
        I have a Gi-20 and a GR-20 and I can tell you unequivocally that,
        despite hours and hours of mucking with sensitivy settings etc. on
        the Gi-20 it simply doesn't track as well as the GR-20 natively.
        There is latency involved, for starters - both in the Gi-20 to laptop
        and laptop to output. Not terrible but it's there. There are far more
        note glitches, missed notes, inconsistent note trails that happen
        too.

        That being said, I haven't setup the guitar for specifically guitar
        synth and I'm sure the glitchy notes, incostent note lengths etc.
        would probably be minimized if I did. I've been contemplating
        something that Jennifer Batten makes to help muffle the strings for
        two handed tapping: http://www.batten.com/Jennifer-s-Web-Store.html.

        Hope this helps

        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Luckisup <luckisup@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I need you help and good ideas for my system setup. Since many
        years I own a GR 30 and I was happy with unit. But now, since I
        really would like to update my sounds, I look for new options and
        would like to change. If I am wright there is no possibility to
        modify the gr-30 to really get new and modern sounds. So, what t do?
        > I really like good and organic synth sounds. E.g. Spectrasonics
        Atmosphere, etc.pp. In general I mixed my orginal guitar
        sound "tastefully" with pad sounds, sitar, flute or whatever made
        sense for the music I was playing. I guess you do the same. The VG 99
        is no option for me. The unit is too big and heavy for traveling and
        it is not synth in the manner the GR units are.

        > Here is my questions:
        >
        > 1. When replace my gr-30 with midi converter like the Roland GI20
        and trigger e.g a VST plugin via Logic Audio on a Mac book, can I
        expect at least the same tracking like I had with GR-30.

        > 2. In case not, what can I do?
        >
        > I would appreciate any helpful hint, answer to my mail. Please
        help, I will leave my country on 22nd of October. I will do this
        forever (hopefully) and will very depend on the things I take with me.

        > Many thanks,
        > Lucky

      • Steve Meiers
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          Please keep us posted on the "Jenny" solution! Sounds interesting.