13 pin cable noise

  • louie_warren
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
      I bought a new Planet Waves 13 pin cable a while ago because the
      original cable had started triggering the synth when ever I move it.
      This is particularly annoying in a live setting because you can't go
      back and recut the "take". I know I probably need to get a new
      cable, but wondered if anyone else had this problem and knows the
      cause. Seems like a design flaw if you ask me.

      Thanx

    • Casey Harpe
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
        i use the Planet Waves 13-pin cable and it works fine
        for me. had the same one for over a year, and no
        issues with it.
      • Knox Bronson
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
          i've had to replace cables a couple of times. once they go, they are
          gone.

          kb

          On Sep 23, 2008, at 11:41 AM, louie_warren wrote:

          > I bought a new Planet Waves 13 pin cable a while ago because the
          > original cable had started triggering the synth when ever I move it.
          > This is particularly annoying in a live setting because you can't go
          > back and recut the "take". I know I probably need to get a new
          > cable, but wondered if anyone else had this problem and knows the
          > cause. Seems like a design flaw if you ask me.
          >
          > Thanx

        • John Lissner - Lead Research
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
            I have had the same problem too. It's caused by twistes in the cable over time that fray the tiny mini wires in the GK cable and they sometimes become crossed with others. It is a design flaw in my opinion. Roland should have made the cables a bit bigger and more sturdier. For live musicians that use GK synth technology its a nightmare. I had to stop using my G'Synth live because it was costing so much to replace the cables. I will not buy another g'synth setup from roland until they upgrade there triggering technology and cables so that for live setup there will be no problems. I continue to use the GR-30 and GR-33 in studio but that is about it.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
              Yes this is a common problem! I have found that passing the cable over the strap button (so it's held tight between the strap and the body of the guitar) helps though. In fact I even do that when I record- in addition to passing a length of the cable across my chair and sitting on it!

              For that matter I do the same thing with conventional guitar cables- they go between the strap and the guitar before I plug them into the jack on the guitar. If you move around while you play this help prevent accidental unplugs.

              As long as the GK cable doesn't move, hey it's no problem. Wiggling the jack even slightly causes false triggers.

              What I really hate is when the resulting hash of noise caused by the GK cable sounds better than my playing!

              Cliff Lang
              Santa Rosa CA

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                I do that... I make a loop through... then use the bungee thing to
                secure it to itself about 6 inches down. If I don't do this,
                occasionally, it pulls through and is too tight. It just sucks
                something that expensive is so fragile!

                --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@...> wrote:

                > Yes this is a common problem! I have found that passing the cable
                over the strap button (so it's held tight between the strap and the
                body of the guitar) helps though. In fact I even do that when I
                record- in addition to passing a length of the cable across my chair
                and sitting on it!

                > For that matter I do the same thing with conventional guitar cables-
                they go between the strap and the guitar before I plug them into the
                jack on the guitar. If you move around while you play this help
                prevent accidental unplugs.

                > As long as the GK cable doesn't move, hey it's no problem. Wiggling
                the jack even slightly causes false triggers.

                > What I really hate is when the resulting hash of noise caused by the
                GK cable sounds better than my playing!

                > Cliff Lang
                > Santa Rosa CA
              • Andy Citron
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                  Louie,
                  I've also had to replace a number of the expensive 13 pin cables. They do
                  seem fragile.

                  Most recently I had what appeared to be the same problem, but it turned out
                  to be a problem
                  with the US-20 (a-b switch). One of the inputs into it was not making a
                  good connection.
                  It caused all sorts of noise and occasional input signals that triggered my
                  vg-88 to put
                  out a loud constant tone.

                  I replaced the US-20 and that fixed the problem.

                  I mention this because I originally assumed it was the 13 pin cables...but
                  it wasn't.

                  cheers,
                  Andy
                • Knox Bronson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                    well, the good news is that it's the cable and not the guitar ... i
                    mean, if you have godin, anyway ...

                    On Sep 23, 2008, at 2:46 PM, louie_warren wrote:

                    > I do that... I make a loop through... then use the bungee thing to
                    > secure it to itself about 6 inches down. If I don't do this,
                    > occasionally, it pulls through and is too tight. It just sucks
                    > something that expensive is so fragile!
                    >
                    > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yes this is a common problem! I have found that passing the cable
                    > over the strap button (so it's held tight between the strap and the
                    > body of the guitar) helps though. In fact I even do that when I
                    > record- in addition to passing a length of the cable across my chair
                    > and sitting on it!
                    > >
                    > > For that matter I do the same thing with conventional guitar cables-
                    > they go between the strap and the guitar before I plug them into the
                    > jack on the guitar. If you move around while you play this help
                    > prevent accidental unplugs.
                    > >
                    > > As long as the GK cable doesn't move, hey it's no problem. Wiggling
                    > the jack even slightly causes false triggers.
                    > >
                    > > What I really hate is when the resulting hash of noise caused by the
                    > GK cable sounds better than my playing!
                    > >
                    > > Cliff Lang
                    > > Santa Rosa CA

                  • louie_warren
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                      Don't have a US20... plugged from guitar into GR-30...

                      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Citron" <andycitron@...> wrote:

                      > Louie,
                      > I've also had to replace a number of the expensive 13 pin cables.
                      They do
                      > seem fragile.
                      >
                      > Most recently I had what appeared to be the same problem, but it
                      turned out
                      > to be a problem
                      > with the US-20 (a-b switch). One of the inputs into it was not
                      making a
                      > good connection.
                      > It caused all sorts of noise and occasional input signals that
                      triggered my
                      > vg-88 to put
                      > out a loud constant tone.
                      >
                      > I replaced the US-20 and that fixed the problem.
                      >
                      > I mention this because I originally assumed it was the 13 pin
                      cables...but
                      > it wasn't.
                      >
                      > cheers,
                      > Andy

                    • louie_warren
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                        Nope... I have a MIM GR-Ready Strat with the internal GK... and a PRS
                        Standard with a GK-2a installed. The little 1/4 - 1/8 cable crapped
                        out on the PRS from sitting in the stand... well, it could be the GK
                        jack now that I think of it.

                        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Knox Bronson <atombee@...> wrote:

                        > well, the good news is that it's the cable and not the guitar ... i
                        > mean, if you have godin, anyway ...
                        >

                        > On Sep 23, 2008, at 2:46 PM, louie_warren wrote:
                        >
                        > > I do that... I make a loop through... then use the bungee thing to
                        > > secure it to itself about 6 inches down. If I don't do this,
                        > > occasionally, it pulls through and is too tight. It just sucks
                        > > something that expensive is so fragile!
                        > >
                        > > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Yes this is a common problem! I have found that passing the cable
                        > > over the strap button (so it's held tight between the strap and the
                        > > body of the guitar) helps though. In fact I even do that when I
                        > > record- in addition to passing a length of the cable across my chair
                        > > and sitting on it!
                        > > >
                        > > > For that matter I do the same thing with conventional guitar cables-
                        > > they go between the strap and the guitar before I plug them into the
                        > > jack on the guitar. If you move around while you play this help
                        > > prevent accidental unplugs.
                        > > >
                        > > > As long as the GK cable doesn't move, hey it's no problem. Wiggling
                        > > the jack even slightly causes false triggers.
                        > > >
                        > > > What I really hate is when the resulting hash of noise caused by the
                        > > GK cable sounds better than my playing!
                        > > >
                        > > > Cliff Lang
                        > > > Santa Rosa CA

                      • Knox Bronson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 23, 2008
                          in my experience, it has always been the cable, not the jack, thank
                          Yoda ...

                          On Sep 23, 2008, at 2:55 PM, louie_warren wrote:

                          > Nope... I have a MIM GR-Ready Strat with the internal GK... and a PRS
                          > Standard with a GK-2a installed. The little 1/4 - 1/8 cable crapped
                          > out on the PRS from sitting in the stand... well, it could be the GK
                          > jack now that I think of it.
                          >
                          > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Knox Bronson <atombee@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > well, the good news is that it's the cable and not the guitar ... i
                          > > mean, if you have godin, anyway ...
                          > >

                          > > On Sep 23, 2008, at 2:46 PM, louie_warren wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I do that... I make a loop through... then use the bungee thing to
                          > > > secure it to itself about 6 inches down. If I don't do this,
                          > > > occasionally, it pulls through and is too tight. It just sucks
                          > > > something that expensive is so fragile!

                          > cable
                          > > > over the strap button (so it's held tight between the strap and
                          > the
                          > > > body of the guitar) helps though. In fact I even do that when I
                          > > > record- in addition to passing a length of the cable across my
                          > chair
                          > > > and sitting on it!

                          > cables-
                          > > > they go between the strap and the guitar before I plug them
                          > into the
                          > > > jack on the guitar. If you move around while you play this help
                          > > > prevent accidental unplugs.

                          > Wiggling
                          > > > the jack even slightly causes false triggers.

                          > by the
                          > > > GK cable sounds better than my playing!

                        • Casey Harpe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 24, 2008
                            i play a Godin XTSA with the synth pickups in the
                            bridge. everything is internal. far better than
                            having an external GK-2A. never had trouble with
                            false triggering or bad connections. and my cable
                            DOES get tangled a lot. which is why i have a spare
                            13-pin with me at all times.
                          • Peter Harris
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 24, 2008
                              I guess I could be lucky, but not much trouble so far...although having
                              said that, my cables are genuine Roland, and I DO carry a spare.. :-)

                              All my guitar straps have an 'adjustment' loop of the strap at the butt
                              end of the guitar..I use Schaller straplocks which do tend to space the
                              strap off the body of the guitar a fraction more than if one used the
                              standard (Fender) strap buttons.

                              I thought about it a bit a long time ago, and decided that the
                              swiveling action of the straplock clip on the button was a little prone
                              to abraiding leads if they got a bit close or hooked up if I just ran
                              them in between the strap and the body, sooooo.....
                              ...I just run the cable (and yes, when I use a standard cable as well)
                              through the 'loop' in the strap before plugging it into the guitar.

                              Apart from working well to keep the lead away from the guitar body and
                              not suddenly ending up under your palm-muting-hand, this method gives
                              the lead a support that is as wide as the strap (about 2 inches/50mm in
                              my case) and tends to stop it being bent back down in too tight a
                              radius when it heads to the floor...it also seems to keep the strap in
                              the right position on the guitar and prevent it doing a 360-degree turn
                              when I hurriedly hurl it at a stand when changing instruments (this
                              happens a LOT in the live situation I play in!)

                              This works for me on Fender Strat, Tele and J-bass..all are equipped
                              with the same hardware..

                              Hope this helps someone...

                              Cheers from Ozdraya
                            • MoonCaine
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 24, 2008
                                On Sep 24, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Peter Harris wrote:

                                > All my guitar straps have an 'adjustment' loop of the strap at the
                                > butt end of the guitar.... I just run the cable (and yes, when I
                                > use a standard cable as well) through the 'loop' in the strap
                                > before plugging it into the guitar.

                                Good idea... I want to try that. I'm glad you shared that tip with
                                us. Thanks!

                                --moonie

                                Free The Unborn Baby Whale Forests!