Re: Mounting GK on an Acoustic

  • firstalternate
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2007
      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Nagel"
      <chrisnagelmiami@...> wrote:

      > Here's my pics: http://steingk.wordpress.com/
      >
      > Please show us your solution, FirstAlternate! It would be cool to
      see it.

      Just as soon as I can figure out how to get my wife's digital camera
      to talk to my computer, I'll do just that. If I were really bright,
      I'd have taken pictures during the fabrication and mounting process,
      but . . .
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
        Chris,

        I got a huge chuckle out of your use of a Honda to rig up the pickup mounting..!! Very
        funny. I'm going to post pics of my Samick FB-2 with hard-mounted GK-2 when I get it
        back from the shop (is going through setup and floyd rose repair)... a good friend of mine
        who graduated from Rhode Island School of Design as an Industrial Designed permanently
        installed it for me after I'd been screwing around with trying to keep it taped down to my
        '89 American Strat.

        In any case, pics should follow in about 2 wks or so.
        -Steve

        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Nagel" <chrisnagelmiami@...> wrote:

        > Here's my pics: http://steingk.wordpress.com/
        >
        > Please show us your solution, FirstAlternate! It would be cool to see it. Frankly, it
        sounds
        > better than mine.
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Nagel" <chrisnagelmiami@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "firstalternate" <firstalternate@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Not asking, want to share.
        > > >
        > > > Long story short, I hard mounted the GK2 on to a tongue depressor
        > >

        > > That sounds cool, and a lot less work than my custom 2nd bridge
        > > approach (pics will follow).
        > >
        > > Speaking of pics - guys in the car forum I frequent have a saying: "No
        > > pics, didn't happen." :-) Would be great to see pics of your rig!
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Chris

      • Peter Harris
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2007
          Ha!
          ..but sometimes it's good to let the wife feel that she has some sort
          of technical advantage....softens the blow of the next
          Telecaster.....:-)
        • Leslie Schwartz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
            Hello;

            I wanted to ask (related question to this thread) - Is there a recommendation about the best guitar to mount a GK-3?

            If several choices are possible, what are the guidelines for deciding which one to use, i.e.; neck thru better than set neck or bolt
            on neck, etc.

            Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, Leslie

            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GR-30%40yahoogroups.com> , "Christopher Nagel" <chrisnagelmiami@...> wrote:

            > Here's my pics: http://steingk.wordpress.com/
            >
            > Please show us your solution, FirstAlternate! It would be cool to see it. Frankly, it
            sounds
            > better than mine.
            >
            > Chris
            >
            > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GR-30%40yahoogroups.com> , "Christopher Nagel" <chrisnagelmiami@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com <mailto:GR-30%40yahoogroups.com> , "firstalternate" <firstalternate@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Not asking, want to share.
            > > >
            > > > Long story short, I hard mounted the GK2 on to a tongue depressor
            > >

            > > That sounds cool, and a lot less work than my custom 2nd bridge
            > > approach (pics will follow).
            > >
            > > Speaking of pics - guys in the car forum I frequent have a saying: "No
            > > pics, didn't happen." :-) Would be great to see pics of your rig!
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Chris

          • MoonCaine
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
              On Jan 5, 2008, at 1:22 PM, Leslie Schwartz wrote:

              > I wanted to ask (related question to this thread) - Is there a
              > recommendation about the best guitar to mount a GK-3?

              You will hear as many answers as there are types of guitar. Each of
              us has plenty of good reasons why we think ours is best, and what
              suits me might not suit you at all.

              I like my wooden Steinberger boat-oar guitar best for lots of
              reasons, although it's not the best guitar I've every played, in any
              single category except comfort. I like a Telecaster's tone and maple
              fingerboard, I love a Strat's body shape, tone, and controls, I love
              Kahler vibrato bridges, but all in all, the Steinberger Spirit GT Pro
              suits me best because it's "close enough" to my Fenders in some ways,
              but radically different in others.

              --moonie
            • Leslie Schwartz
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 5, 2008
                Thanks, this helps and if there are comments specific to the use of the GK-3 that is also the information I am looking for.