IT'S FRIDAY? NO TUESDAY!!! VG-99 Ships!!!!!

  • drjoness2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007
      Same Day Music is shipping the VG-99.

      Wayne
    • kaffeen
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
        I think I'm going to skip the 99.

        I'm going to get a used Variax, take out the guts, and put it in my Fender
        Roland Ready Strat. With that, my GR-33, and PodXT, I will be able to
        accomplish most everything of value in the 99 and for much less price. Since
        I already have the 33 and Pod, I'll be able to accomplish many of the same
        things for about 300 bucks.

        I still don't understand why Roland needs that price point. There is
        virtually no R&D costs since they seem to have taken existing technology and
        melded it together to create the 99.

        --
        If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand,
        things are just as they are.

      • Rich H
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
          Regarding the pricing of the VG-99...

          Yes it is expensive, and as a hobbyist I'm quite content to stick to my VG-88 and other older gear (GR-30, GI-10) - I can't justify the current cost of a VG-99.

          But I think we have to bear in mind that this probably won't be a mass market product. Given the requirement for the hex pickup, it seems that they are appealing to quite a limited market, regardless of how good the product is. If they were selling them by the truckload I'm sure they could reduce the price a lot, but I don't think this is going to happen.

          Just my thoughts of course!

          Rich

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2007
            I can understand how you might feel that way at a casual glance, but you
            really should do your research before making that kind of sweeping
            generalization. Roland is marketing the VG-99 as the "god" stompbox, and
            pricing it accordingly. It's basically a GI-20, two next-gen VG-88s
            (emphasis on next-gen), and a GT-PRO all integrated into one. It's overkill
            for most but when viewed from that perspective, it's a bargain.