Splitting Gk signal

  • boogaloostu666
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 6:33 AM
      Hi there, I could do with some advice on this one...

      I currently use a gr-33, and wish to switch between a lap steel which
      i've fitted a gk pickup to (sounds surprisingly good!) in addition to
      my regular gk fitted guitar. Is there some way or device available to
      a/b between 2 incoming signals and one output? both the gkp-4 and us-20
      seem to work the other way, ie switching between the outgoing signal
      rather than the incoming one.

      Help!!

      Boogaloostu
    • MoonCaine
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 11:48 AM
        I may be mistaken, but I think the gkp-4 does let you plug more than
        one 13-pin guitar in, and switch between them... only, you have to do
        it with your hands because there's no footswitch. Not sure, but that
        was my impression.

        --moonie

        --
        "Shake hands with beef!"
      • Ryan, David
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 12:01 PM
          The GKP-4 lets you take one 13-pin input signal and run it to any of four
          outputs. Unfortunately it only allows for one input.

          _____

          --
          "Shake hands with beef!"

          This electronic mail transmission including any and all attachments may
          contain confidential information and is intended only for the person(s)
          named. Any use, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
          prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the
          sender via e-mail.
        • Steve Meiers
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 11:58 AM
            If a simple mechanical switch will do, you turn a knob instead of press a pedal, then you could build a simple switchbox. The cheap and easy way would be to take an old mechanical computer parallel port switch (they have 25 or more connections) and chop its connectors, replace them with 13-pin DIN females.

            A lot of car CD changers use the same 13-pin connections as the GRs. They use the same standard 13-pin DIN connectors as GRs, VGs and Vamps. The 13-pin connectors are therefore available widely, such as at DigiKey.com for very cheap.

            So, get 3 female 13-pin DIN connectors and an appropriate switch (or a parallel port switch as mentioned above). Wire it all together and presto, you got it. Put it in a box to be fancy, or just duct tape it all up to be real macho.

            The switch only needs to be 12-pole, since ground can be common, and most GRs don't use one of the 13-pins anyway. So you can use a 12-pole switch like this one currently on ebay (you may have to patch the link):
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ROTARY-SWITCH-6-POSITION-12-POLE_W0QQitemZ200135317455QQcmdZViewItem
            .
            Which would let you have up 1-in and 6-out or vice-versa - and REMEMBER, always connect INPUTS to OUTPUTS, never connect OUTPUTS to OUTPUTS. One of them will lose if not both - lose as in blow up the output stage. Smoke and repairs or replacement will probably follow. So make sure you check your connections BEFORE powering on equipment and as always, do this at your OWN RISK.

            Also, I've occasionally plugged a GK to a GR live, and seldom had a problem, but on rare occasion, a reboot of the GR was required. This why the US-20 and the GKP-4 have active components, buffers, to keep the signals nice and constant when switching between units. No reset required.

            If you don't want to hack anything much, you could just build cable adapters for the computer parallel port switch, three short cables going from 13-pin DIN female to whatever the parallel port switch needs. Then you can test it and see if you want to build it into a/the box.

            Steve M

          • Steve Meiers
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3 12:29 PM
              One more thing. Here are links for a homemade US-20. It may give you some advice and info useful for building a 13-pin controller switch, too.

              http://www.xs4all.nl/~pekveren/us20/index.html
              http://www.xs4all.nl/~pekveren/us20/schema.html

              steve m