Re: [GR-30] Re: GR-30 Q5 semiconductor

  • David Boerst
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just got back from a concert type gig. We opened with Trowers " Bridge of
      sighs" I combined 2 presets to to make wind and chimes for thr intro. Its
      great to have it working again.The distortion is present if the master
      volume on the GR-30 is turned up too high.The CD burner is a Creative
      RW4224E. I bought ten of them and all the motors are toast. The
      transistor is mounted on the board that is attached to the bottom
      cover.When I find the other CD units I will get the #s I think its 4
      letters.QQBD I don;t want to mess with the GR-30 as "If it ain''t broke
      don,t fix it." I think the transistor is Q4.

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
        Howdy,

        As this is my first post, I guess I should take a moment to introduce
        myself. My name's Brady and I often use the handle "dotdummy." I
        used to work for Brian Moore Guitars. I play bass and I rock a Brian
        Moore i5.13 and a prototype 13-pin custom shop bass that I co-designed
        but never made it to production. I am also a firm believer that the
        GR-30 tracks better for bass than the GI-20 (I own both). Egads!

        Now for my big question to David: did you ever get those other CD
        units? I'm very cursious as to what that transistor's part number is.
        I have a GR-30 that has a clearly fried Q4 and zapped Q5.

        Thanks!

        -Brady

        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "David Boerst" <badaxxe@...> wrote:

        > Just got back from a concert type gig. We opened with Trowers "
        Bridge of
        > sighs" I combined 2 presets to to make wind and chimes for thr
        intro. Its
        > great to have it working again.The distortion is present if the master
        > volume on the GR-30 is turned up too high.The CD burner is a Creative
        > RW4224E. I bought ten of them and all the motors are toast. The
        > transistor is mounted on the board that is attached to the bottom
        > cover.When I find the other CD units I will get the #s I think its 4
        > letters.QQBD I don;t want to mess with the GR-30 as "If it ain''t broke
        > don,t fix it." I think the transistor is Q4.

      • David Boerst
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
          Hey,I got the GR30 to work using a SOT semiconductor out of a Creative
          Labs CD burner. It worked for a few hundred hours and during a gig it
          smoked. No one seems to know what the part numbers are.The unit turns on
          all the functions work except no sound. Do you have any type of
          schematic? I sure miss the GR30 and have been looking for one but wonder
          if the GR33 tracks better.

          As this is my first post, I guess I should take a moment to introduce
          myself. My name's Brady and I often use the handle "dotdummy." I
          used to work for Brian Moore Guitars. I play bass and I rock a Brian
          Moore i5.13 and a prototype 13-pin custom shop bass that I
          co-designed
          but never made it to production. I am also a firm believer that the
          GR-30 tracks better for bass than the GI-20 (I own both). Egads!

          Now for my big question to David: did you ever get those other CD
          units? I'm very cursious as to what that transistor's part number is.
          I have a GR-30 that has a clearly fried Q4 and zapped Q5.

          Thanks!

          -Brady

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "David Boerst" <badaxxe@...> wrote:

          > Just got back from a concert type gig. We opened with Trowers "
          Bridge of
          > sighs" I combined 2 presets to to make wind and chimes for thr
          intro. Its
          > great to have it working again.The distortion is present if the
          master
          > volume on the GR-30 is turned up too high.The CD burner is a
          Creative
          > RW4224E. I bought ten of them and all the motors are toast. The
          > transistor is mounted on the board that is attached to the bottom
          > cover.When I find the other CD units I will get the #s I think its
          4
          > letters.QQBD I don;t want to mess with the GR-30 as "If it ain''t
          broke
          > don,t fix it." I think the transistor is Q4.

        • Cliff Lang
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
            It doesn't.

            -CL

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
              Re: Tracking differences between GR-30 and GR-33

              No difference, we have both in our studio and they are identical in tracking . . . from our experience.

              Steve M.

            • Brady Leo
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                Aw man, that's too bad. It's a longshot, but I'm going to call Roland
                and see if I can just buy that part from them.

                I've clocked about 2 solid hours on the internet looking for a
                schematic somewhere... nothing. It's just unbelievable that someone
                here on the list hasn't gotten their hands on one yet.

                One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                12th fret work.

                -b

              • James
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 15, 2007
                  Wow! Are you sure??? Or is this something everybody except me knew?
                  Glad I got the GR_30...

                  James

                  > One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                  > gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                  > 12th fret work.
                  >
                  > -b
                • Joe L.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
                    --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, James <res075oh@...> wrote:

                    > One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                    > gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                    > 12th fret work.

                    Ah, interesting. I should check that out. But do you mean that the GR-33 would produce
                    no notes at all, or would it produce unusuable sounds when played with a bass guitar
                    below the 12th fret?

                    As an analogy, I have installed the GR20v2 update patch on my GR-20 so that it can
                    support both guitar and bass. According to the GR20v2add.pdf, when the GR-20 is in bG
                    (bass guitar) mode:
                    - Bass Guiter operation - the synthesizer will sound at the same pitch as the input
                    - Guitar Operation - the synthesizer will sound one octave lower than the input

                    So what the update seems to do is to shift sounds an octave down in bG mode. It works
                    fine with my bass.

                    By the way, the update instructions say that the update would not affect the user patches.
                    Well, that didn't work for me. When I installed the update, all my user patches were
                    restored to the factory user patches. And trusting the instructions, I have not backed them
                    up first, boo-hoo-hoo...

                    (Joe L.)
                  • Brady Leo
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
                      It's been a few years since I tried it, but it produced no notes at
                      all below the 12th fret. I'll admit, I didn't spend much time going
                      through the system settings to see if I could resolve this.

                      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Joe L." <joe@...> wrote:

                      > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, James <res075oh@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                      > > gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                      > > 12th fret work.
                      >
                      > Ah, interesting. I should check that out. But do you mean that the
                      GR-33 would produce
                      > no notes at all, or would it produce unusuable sounds when played
                      with a bass guitar
                      > below the 12th fret?
                      >
                      > As an analogy, I have installed the GR20v2 update patch on my GR-20
                      so that it can
                      > support both guitar and bass. According to the GR20v2add.pdf, when
                      the GR-20 is in bG
                      > (bass guitar) mode:
                      > - Bass Guiter operation - the synthesizer will sound at the same
                      pitch as the input
                      > - Guitar Operation - the synthesizer will sound one octave lower
                      than the input

                      > So what the update seems to do is to shift sounds an octave down in
                      bG mode. It works
                      > fine with my bass.
                      >
                      > By the way, the update instructions say that the update would not
                      affect the user patches.
                      > Well, that didn't work for me. When I installed the update, all my
                      user patches were
                      > restored to the factory user patches. And trusting the instructions,
                      I have not backed them
                      > up first, boo-hoo-hoo...
                      >
                      > (Joe L.)

                    • unlunf
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 16, 2007
                        > ..... no notes below the 12th fret work.

                        I suspect that this is a partially incorrect statement.

                        The unit itself is not the problem, it's the preamp board found
                        on the guitar. That unit is designed to cut the signal off at
                        a certain frequency. For each string, which has its own preamp,
                        the frequency is approximately a half-octave below the expected
                        lowest note on that string.

                        For the G string on a guitar, that should correspond to a C#.
                        If you play on the G string of a bass instrument, the VG should
                        respond well down to approximately D or C#, perhaps down to C.
                        Below that, I think the signal will drop out, and be unusable.

                        Bear in mind that I don't have a bass fitted with a GK-2B, so
                        I can't test this for myself. <g> This is all according to
                        standard lore, as espoused recently by Richard and others who
                        we accept as knowledgable in this regard. Don't shoot me,
                        I'm only the messenger boy! <lol>

                        HTH

                        unlunf

                        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Joe L." <joe@...> wrote:

                        > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, James <res075oh@> wrote:
                        >
                        >> One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                        >> gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                        >> 12th fret work.
                        >
                        > Ah, interesting. I should check that out. But do you mean that the GR-33 would produce
                        > no notes at all, or would it produce unusuable sounds when played with a bass guitar
                        > below the 12th fret?
                        >
                        > As an analogy, I have installed the GR20v2 update patch on my GR-20 so that it can
                        > support both guitar and bass. According to the GR20v2add.pdf, when the GR-20 is in bG
                        > (bass guitar) mode:
                        > - Bass Guiter operation - the synthesizer will sound at the same pitch as the input
                        > - Guitar Operation - the synthesizer will sound one octave lower than the input
                        >
                        > So what the update seems to do is to shift sounds an octave down in bG mode. It works
                        > fine with my bass.
                        >
                        > By the way, the update instructions say that the update would not affect the user patches.
                        > Well, that didn't work for me. When I installed the update, all my user patches were
                        > restored to the factory user patches. And trusting the instructions, I have not backed them
                        > up first, boo-hoo-hoo...
                        >
                        > (Joe L.)

                      • Brady Leo
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
                          OK, 2 things:

                          1) you mentioned something about the "VG." Like a VG-88? I'm only
                          talking about a GR-33.

                          2) I'm not using a crappy GK-2B. I have a RMC system installed. ;)

                          But eveything works perfectly on a GR-30. How could it be the preamp
                          if the bass tracks beautifly on a GR-30 but not a GR-33? My
                          assumption was that Roland cut the frequency range that the GR-33
                          would recognize to reduce false triggering and unwanted notes.

                          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "unlunf" <unlunf@...> wrote:

                          > > ..... no notes below the 12th fret work.
                          >
                          > I suspect that this is a partially incorrect statement.
                          >
                          > The unit itself is not the problem, it's the preamp board found
                          > on the guitar. That unit is designed to cut the signal off at
                          > a certain frequency. For each string, which has its own preamp,
                          > the frequency is approximately a half-octave below the expected
                          > lowest note on that string.
                          >
                          > For the G string on a guitar, that should correspond to a C#.
                          > If you play on the G string of a bass instrument, the VG should
                          > respond well down to approximately D or C#, perhaps down to C.
                          > Below that, I think the signal will drop out, and be unusable.
                          >
                          > Bear in mind that I don't have a bass fitted with a GK-2B, so
                          > I can't test this for myself. <g> This is all according to
                          > standard lore, as espoused recently by Richard and others who
                          > we accept as knowledgable in this regard. Don't shoot me,
                          > I'm only the messenger boy! <lol>
                          >
                          > HTH
                          >

                          > unlunf
                          >

                          > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Joe L." <joe@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, James <res075oh@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> One major tracking difference between the gr-30 and gr-33 is that the
                          > >> gr-33 is basically unusable with a bass guitar: no notes below the
                          > >> 12th fret work.
                          > >
                          > > Ah, interesting. I should check that out. But do you mean that the
                          GR-33 would produce
                          > > no notes at all, or would it produce unusuable sounds when played
                          with a bass guitar
                          > > below the 12th fret?
                          > >
                          > > As an analogy, I have installed the GR20v2 update patch on my
                          GR-20 so that it can
                          > > support both guitar and bass. According to the GR20v2add.pdf, when
                          the GR-20 is in bG
                          > > (bass guitar) mode:
                          > > - Bass Guiter operation - the synthesizer will sound at the same
                          pitch as the input
                          > > - Guitar Operation - the synthesizer will sound one octave lower
                          than the input

                          > > So what the update seems to do is to shift sounds an octave down
                          in bG mode. It works
                          > > fine with my bass.
                          > >
                          > > By the way, the update instructions say that the update would not
                          affect the user patches.
                          > > Well, that didn't work for me. When I installed the update, all my
                          user patches were
                          > > restored to the factory user patches. And trusting the
                          instructions, I have not backed them
                          > > up first, boo-hoo-hoo...
                          > >
                          > > (Joe L.)

                        • MoonCaine
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 20, 2007
                            On Mar 20, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Brady Leo wrote:

                            > How could it be the preamp if the bass tracks beautifly on a GR-30
                            > but not a GR-33?

                            I'm guessing: because they changed the 33?

                            > My assumption was that Roland cut the frequency range that the
                            > GR-33 would recognize to reduce false triggering and unwanted notes.

                            Seems reasonable to me. It also explains why the 33 won't track the
                            bass. I wish I knew.

                            I didn't realize that's the reason my GR-33 drops out when I go deep
                            down with the whammy bar. I'm a bit ticked off, seeing as how I took
                            care to choose guitars with vibrato bridges that seemed best for
                            synth guitar, because they keep the strings at the same height over
                            the pickup [unlike a Floyd or a traditional Fender]. Bummer.

                            I hope they didn't cripple the vg-99's synth tracking like that. Oh,
                            well, it's not a show stopper for me, just a minor disappointment.

                            --moonie

                            ========================
                            The Virtual Guitarist Podcast
                            Free at the iTunes Music Store or via this link:
                            <http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?
                            id=147987619&s=143441>
                          • unlunf
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                              Brady,

                              You mentioned both the VG and the GR units, so I "merely"
                              abbreviated. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

                              Further to that, I also 'abbreviated' the GK-2B to mean _any_
                              Roland 13-pin compatible pickup system. The generic moniker
                              is pretty much universal, except when addressing specific pickup
                              problems, it just means "I've got the necessary means to get a
                              hex signal to the unit".

                              I am unaware of any of the GR-33 updates being able to upgrade
                              the electronics such that it can play notes from a bass axe, like
                              your GR-20 v2 can apparently do. (I was also unaware of that
                              upgrade, thanks for the info.) But that would point to the limits
                              being placed in software, not hardware. Which in turn, bolsters
                              your position that it's not in the preamp(s). Hmmmm........

                              For any further testing on my part, I'll need to acquire a bass
                              piezo system of some sort. (I've got a bass, just never felt
                              the desire to Roland-ize it. <g>) For now, I'll take your word
                              for what's going on.

                              unlunf

                              --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Brady Leo" <bradyleo@...> wrote:

                              > OK, 2 things:
                              >
                              > 1) you mentioned something about the "VG." Like a VG-88? I'm only
                              > talking about a GR-33.
                              >
                              > 2) I'm not using a crappy GK-2B. I have a RMC system installed. ;)
                              >
                              > But eveything works perfectly on a GR-30. How could it be the preamp
                              > if the bass tracks beautifly on a GR-30 but not a GR-33? My
                              > assumption was that Roland cut the frequency range that the GR-33
                              > would recognize to reduce false triggering and unwanted notes.

                            • dboerst
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 14, 2007
                                Hi,

                                A friend just bought a GR30 and allowed me to dissasemble it. Q3 Q4
                                Q5 are all the same. They have L D embosed in them. I bought a "
                                water destressed" GR1 on eBay. The same SOTs. Does anyone know the
                                part number besides the L D? Is it NPN or PNP?
                                I did get the GR30 working again but won't use it until I get the
                                correct part.