Warmouth Parts and Features

  • spackletheband
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
      This may be a little off topic, but I am seriously considering moving
      away from my RR strats and modded out cheapies and building my own
      guitar with parts from Warmouth or other similar providers. Will
      definately add a hex pickup into the mix. Have any of you guys done
      this before? and comments/suggestions on providers for parts? Any and
      all feedback is appreciated.

      Spackle
    • Cliff Lang
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
        I know that Warmoth or however you spell it parts are not held in high
        esteem by my guitar tech. Of course he builds custom guitars so there may be
        some bias. He builds them from scratch.

        I'd check around and see if I could find a better quality line of parts that
        Warmouth before I committed myself.

        Cliff Lang

        > This may be a little off topic, but I am seriously considering moving
        > away from my RR strats and modded out cheapies and building my own
        > guitar with parts from Warmouth or other similar providers. Will
        > definately add a hex pickup into the mix. Have any of you guys done
        > this before? and comments/suggestions on providers for parts? Any and
        > all feedback is appreciated.
        >
        > Spackle
        >

        > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
        tentacle_joe@...

        > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
        > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Warren Sirota
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
          I bought a used guitar made from Warmouth parts from Subway Guitars in
          Berkeley about 20 years ago - it's still my workhorse guitar. I've gotten
          lots of great comments about the rosewood neck. It's a beautiful, playable,
          warm guitar. It's got some great Bartolini pickups on it, too.

          OTOH, the GK-2A doesn't fit quite right - not because of any mounting
          issues, but because it's apparently designed for a different string spacing
          than I have. It's not off enough to be a problem, but tracking on it is
          definitely not even close to my Godin nylon-string with the built-in hex
          pickup. Oddly, I believe the original GK-2 that I once had was better-fitted
          to this guitar. Anyway, I guess the moral is to be careful that you can
          match up your hex pickup and string spacing propertly.

          I tend to bias in favor of guitars that have been designed to be synth
          controller, where the manufacturers have had a few years to work out the
          kinks. I would hope (and do tend to believe) that a company with a 13-pin
          line will actively experiment and to try and optimize the pickup position
          and also perhaps alter the resonance properties of the body to improve
          tracking (there might be tracking-vs-tone compromises there, I guess).
          Everyone has their own standards, but I believe my next guitar will be
          another Godin (though I'm not sure which model, and they are darned hard to
          find to try out). Unless I have to give in to Tele-lust first.

          Best wishes,
          Warren Sirota

        • Cliff Lang
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
            There are two types of GK guitar pickups. One is designed for guitars with
            humbuckers and one is for those with single coils. The strings spacings are
            different.

            CL

            > I bought a used guitar made from Warmouth parts from Subway Guitars in
            > Berkeley about 20 years ago - it's still my workhorse guitar. I've gotten
            > lots of great comments about the rosewood neck. It's a beautiful,
            playable,
            > warm guitar. It's got some great Bartolini pickups on it, too.
            >
            > OTOH, the GK-2A doesn't fit quite right - not because of any mounting
            > issues, but because it's apparently designed for a different string
            spacing
            > than I have. It's not off enough to be a problem, but tracking on it is
            > definitely not even close to my Godin nylon-string with the built-in hex
            > pickup. Oddly, I believe the original GK-2 that I once had was
            better-fitted
            > to this guitar. Anyway, I guess the moral is to be careful that you can
            > match up your hex pickup and string spacing propertly.
            >
            > I tend to bias in favor of guitars that have been designed to be synth
            > controller, where the manufacturers have had a few years to work out the
            > kinks. I would hope (and do tend to believe) that a company with a 13-pin
            > line will actively experiment and to try and optimize the pickup position
            > and also perhaps alter the resonance properties of the body to improve
            > tracking (there might be tracking-vs-tone compromises there, I guess).
            > Everyone has their own standards, but I believe my next guitar will be
            > another Godin (though I'm not sure which model, and they are darned hard
            > find to try out). Unless I have to give in to Tele-lust first.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Warren Sirota

          • unlunf
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
              Spackle,

              If you're worried about Warmoth (and IMHO, you needn't be),
              then try USA Custom Guitars for your parts. They're right
              in Warmoth's back yard. <g> A bit more expensive, but they're
              getting a reputation for selling good woods that will give you
              "that tone". <www.usacustomguitars.com>

              Just a thought.

              unlunf

              --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "spackletheband" wrote:

              > This may be a little off topic, but I am seriously considering
              > moving away from my RR strats and modded out cheapies and building
              > my own guitar with parts from Warmouth or other similar providers.
              > Will definately add a hex pickup into the mix. Have any of you guys
              > done this before? and comments/suggestions on providers for parts?
              > Any and all feedback is appreciated.
              >
              > Spackle

            • Spackle The Band
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
                unlunf,

                Thanks for the response. I'm not really worried about Warmouth, everything
                I've read and heard sounds very good to me. Just wanted to know if anyone
                has bought from them and if they are happy. I'm going to have to do this as
                a project and buy the parts piece by piece so I'm really looking for "bang
                for the buck". I'm thinking of using a humbacker/single coil/humbacker type
                set up so I can get both Strat and LP type sounds. Any suggestions on the
                pickups?

                Spackle

                >From: "unlunf" <unlunf@...>
                >To: GR-30@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [GR-30] Re: Warmouth Parts and Features
                >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:30:06 -0000
                >
                >Spackle,
                >
                >If you're worried about Warmoth (and IMHO, you needn't be),
                >then try USA Custom Guitars for your parts. They're right
                >in Warmoth's back yard. <g> A bit more expensive, but they're
                >getting a reputation for selling good woods that will give you
                >"that tone". <www.usacustomguitars.com>
                >
                >Just a thought.
                >

                >unlunf
                >
                >--- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "spackletheband" wrote:
                > >
                > > This may be a little off topic, but I am seriously considering
                > > moving away from my RR strats and modded out cheapies and building
                > > my own guitar with parts from Warmouth or other similar providers.
                > > Will definately add a hex pickup into the mix. Have any of you guys
                > > done this before? and comments/suggestions on providers for parts?
                > > Any and all feedback is appreciated.
                > >
                > > Spackle

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I built a Warmoth Soloist (flame maple laminated top over alder) with
                  Explorer neck (rosewood) back in 94
                  and it's the main guitar I use - I of course had no idea that I would be
                  installing a GK2A pickup all these
                  years later. I had to do a slight mod with the bridge pickup route (a small
                  piece of oak, a band saw,
                  sandpaper and wood glue) to get it installed. I love the tone of the guitar
                  - I use a Carvin M-22T for the bridge
                  and Dimarzio Fast Track II's for the mid and neck. I have tried other high
                  output pickups in the bridge but I
                  prefer the lower output of the M-22T. It also has the old Kahler Spyder
                  trem.. I'm glad Kahler is back in
                  business for my need of parts! The only spares I have are from a second
                  Spyder that I acquired a few years
                  ago. I love this guitar. It was nice to customize the controls exactly where
                  I wanted them, a 5-way toggle
                  closest with a volume (capacitor between the hot pins) further down. I
                  recently added 3 toggles and a
                  seperate pot for coil taps of all three pickups (I don't use any tone
                  controls). I put a French Polish on it
                  for a finish - it needs a few more coats after all these years but that is
                  another project for another day.

                  If you get a Warmoth, consider having them custom route the pick ups and
                  tremolo recess/inserts for
                  you to your specifications/preferences and consider letting them do the
                  finish (it took me a month to
                  French polish mine - not that it won't take them a month - but at least you
                  won't know what your missing!).
                  My next Warmoth will be a Clear Gloss Quilted Maple Soloist with the same
                  rosewood Explorer neck
                  finished in Satin.

                  Scott

                • Spackle The Band
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Scott,

                    Thanks, I'm still considering the weight of the electronics vs the body
                    style. But I think i'll definately have them cut the knob holes custom and
                    finish the woods. Thanks for the advice, very helpful.

                    Spackle

                    >From: "Scott" <tbarric1@...>
                    >To: <GR-30@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [GR-30] Re: Warmouth Parts and Features
                    >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 22:17:48 -0500
                    >
                    >I built a Warmoth Soloist (flame maple laminated top over alder) with
                    >Explorer neck (rosewood) back in 94
                    >and it's the main guitar I use - I of course had no idea that I would be
                    >installing a GK2A pickup all these
                    >years later. I had to do a slight mod with the bridge pickup route (a small
                    >piece of oak, a band saw,
                    >sandpaper and wood glue) to get it installed. I love the tone of the guitar
                    >- I use a Carvin M-22T for the bridge
                    >and Dimarzio Fast Track II's for the mid and neck. I have tried other high
                    >output pickups in the bridge but I
                    >prefer the lower output of the M-22T. It also has the old Kahler Spyder
                    >trem.. I'm glad Kahler is back in
                    >business for my need of parts! The only spares I have are from a second
                    >Spyder that I acquired a few years
                    >ago. I love this guitar. It was nice to customize the controls exactly
                    >where
                    >I wanted them, a 5-way toggle
                    >closest with a volume (capacitor between the hot pins) further down. I
                    >recently added 3 toggles and a
                    >seperate pot for coil taps of all three pickups (I don't use any tone
                    >controls). I put a French Polish on it
                    >for a finish - it needs a few more coats after all these years but that is
                    >another project for another day.
                    >
                    >If you get a Warmoth, consider having them custom route the pick ups and
                    >tremolo recess/inserts for
                    >you to your specifications/preferences and consider letting them do the
                    >finish (it took me a month to
                    >French polish mine - not that it won't take them a month - but at least you
                    >won't know what your missing!).
                    >My next Warmoth will be a Clear Gloss Quilted Maple Soloist with the same
                    >rosewood Explorer neck
                    >finished in Satin.
                    >
                    >Scott

                  • Pete
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                      Spackle,

                      You might want to do some snooping around in Line 6's Variax forum.
                      Many Variax owners have replaced stock Vax necks and even specially
                      routed bodies with Warmouth products, you'll likely find some info/
                      real world experiences there as well.

                      SkeletonPete

                      On Mar 3, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Spackle The Band wrote:

                      > Scott,
                      >
                      > Thanks, I'm still considering the weight of the electronics vs the
                      > body
                      > style. But I think i'll definately have them cut the knob holes
                      > custom and
                      > finish the woods. Thanks for the advice, very helpful.
                      >
                      > Spackle

                    • unlunf
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                        Spackle,

                        I see where you've also gotten some response to this question
                        in the midiguitar forums. I feel a FAQ coming on.... <lol>

                        Scott sure laid out some options for you, vis-a-vis pickups.
                        I personally wouldn't tell someone what to use, tone is such
                        a personal thing. If you were to ask me what I use, and why,
                        I'd be only too happy to answer "Kinman's Woodstock set",
                        because I play all kinds of genres, and these give me what
                        I feel is the best overall tone. But YMMV! <g>

                        Also, Scott said something about having his controls placed in
                        custom locations, and then you pretty much parroted him. This
                        seems to me to be a given, for a pickguard-type ax. So the
                        inference is, are you going for a top-loaded rig? Never mind,
                        it makes no difference, except that if you're gonna use a
                        pickguard, then you could just order the pickup cavity to be
                        routed as a 'universal' style, and that would let you change
                        pickups from single-coils to HB's and back, as often as you wish.
                        Pickguards are cheap when you want to change your mind about
                        pickups like this. <g>

                        One more thing. Both Warmoth and USACG have a 'bargain basement'
                        on their websites. Check that out, you might save a wad o' green.

                        unlunf
                      • Knox Bronson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                          I am having a weird problem. I do a cover of the song "Coming Back to
                          Me" - Jefferson Airplane. It has a very pretty guitar part, but in
                          one part i play Gb on the 4th string and hit G on the third, D on the
                          second ... (Am7 slid up 2 steps) and then play Am7 ... and the
                          triggering gets delayed and weird. it is somewhat intermittent as well.

                          I am using a guitar patch - 12-string & a pad on gr-30 with a godin
                          nylon string. I've checked string sensitivity, tried different guitar
                          patches, etc.

                          this doesn't happen when I just strum a chord - all strings seem to
                          fire okay.

                          anybody had a similar problem?

                          thanks.

                          kb
                        • Spackle The Band
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                            Thanks to everyone and their kind responses

                            Are you people ready? I just wasted an entire day at the office putting
                            this guitar together.
                            Here's what i decided on...

                            Warmoth Carved-Top Soloist- Flame Maple Top, Tobacco Sunburst, Pearloid
                            Binding, Routed H-S-H
                            Warmoth Purpleheart neck with Ebony Fingerboard, Boat shaped, Jumbo Nickel
                            Frets, Pearloid Binding

                            Graphtech Graphite Nut
                            Schaller Locking Tuners
                            Gotoh Wilkinson Trem

                            Roland GK-Kit
                            2 EMG-89 Switchable Humbucking (Neck and Bridge)
                            1 EMG SA (Center)

                            I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the next year or so. Gonna do most
                            of the work myself, I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all the input.

                            Spackle

                            >From: Pete <pete@...>
                            >To: GR-30@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [GR-30] Re: Warmouth Parts and Features
                            >Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:34:19 -0500
                            >
                            >Spackle,
                            >
                            >You might want to do some snooping around in Line 6's Variax forum.
                            >Many Variax owners have replaced stock Vax necks and even specially
                            >routed bodies with Warmouth products, you'll likely find some info/
                            >real world experiences there as well.
                            >
                            >SkeletonPete
                            >

                            >On Mar 3, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Spackle The Band wrote:
                            >
                            > > Scott,
                            > >
                            > > Thanks, I'm still considering the weight of the electronics vs the
                            > > body
                            > > style. But I think i'll definately have them cut the knob holes
                            > > custom and
                            > > finish the woods. Thanks for the advice, very helpful.
                            > >
                            > > Spackle

                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                              Grinning from ear to ear!

                              Scott

                            • mike
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 3, 2006
                                KB-

                                I have seen a similar problem with my Godin LGX-SA. If I play a D chord at the 5th fret and play it in an arpeggio, I get false/double triggering. Notably, if I play the D (5th fret, 5th string), then play the A on the 4th, the D will sometimes trigger again, or trigger again but an octave down. Sometimes it pulses. All very disturbing.

                                I have experimented with different strings and the Elixirs (at the risk of dredging up THAT whole discussion again...) seem to do it less. I think it has to do with harmonic resonance and the specific frequencies that the neck is producing. My string sensitivity is typically way down as the saddle pickup is way hot. Wish there was an adjustment for the output. (Anybody know of one?)

                                In short, I think nearly all guitars are going to exhibit some form of this, but it will be at different places based on the neck thickness, material, etc, etc. I know this doesn't go very far in solving your problem, but perhaps explains the bahavior a bit. (At least as I understand it.)

                                Good luck!

                                mike

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2006
                                  Sounds like a crosstalk issue to me. Mike and Knox,
                                  are is your Godins equipped with the L. R. Baggs
                                  system or the RMC system?

                                  Also, I'm using a GR-33, not a -30, but I can't
                                  reproduce the problems that either of you describe.
                                  FWIW, I'm using a Graphtech Ghost system mounted on
                                  an almost new Strat.

                                  unlunf

                                  --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, mike <cedarwind0310@...> wrote:

                                  > KB-
                                  >
                                  > I have seen a similar problem with my Godin LGX-SA. If I play a
                                  > D chord at the 5th fret and play it in an arpeggio, I get
                                  > false/double triggering. Notably, if I play the D (5th fret,
                                  > 5th string), then play the A on the 4th, the D will sometimes
                                  > trigger again, or trigger again but an octave down. Sometimes it
                                  > pulses. All very disturbing.
                                  >
                                  > I have experimented with different strings and the Elixirs (at
                                  > the risk of dredging up THAT whole discussion again...) seem to
                                  > do it less. I think it has to do with harmonic resonance and the
                                  > specific frequencies that the neck is producing. My string
                                  > sensitivity is typically way down as the saddle pickup is way hot.
                                  > Wish there was an adjustment for the output. (Anybody know of one?)
                                  >
                                  > In short, I think nearly all guitars are going to exhibit some
                                  > form of this, but it will be at different places based on the neck
                                  > thickness, material, etc, etc. I know this doesn't go very far in
                                  > solving your problem, but perhaps explains the bahavior a bit. (At
                                  > least as I understand it.)
                                  >
                                  > Good luck!
                                  >
                                  > mike
                                  >
                                  > Knox Bronson <atombee@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> I am having a weird problem. I do a cover of the song "Coming
                                  >> Back to Me" - Jefferson Airplane. It has a very pretty guitar
                                  >> part, but in one part i play Gb on the 4th string and hit G on
                                  >> the third, D on the second ... (Am7 slid up 2 steps) and then
                                  >> play Am7 ... and the triggering gets delayed and weird. it is
                                  >> somewhat intermittent as well.
                                  >>
                                  >> I am using a guitar patch - 12-string & a pad on gr-30 with a
                                  >> Godin nylon string. I've checked string sensitivity, tried
                                  >> different guitar patches, etc.
                                  >>
                                  >> this doesn't happen when I just strum a chord - all strings
                                  >> seem to fire okay.
                                  >>
                                  >> anybody had a similar problem?
                                  >>
                                  >> thanks.
                                  >>
                                  >> kb

                                • mike
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 7, 2006
                                    Unlunf-

                                    The Godin LGX-SA uses RMC pickups with a custom pre-amp according to their site.

                                    I hadn't thought about cross-talk. Interesting idea. Now... What to do about that possibility? I was thinking more about harmonics as it only occurs in certain note combinations in certain positions.

                                    But, hey... You got me thinkin.

                                    mike

                                    PS - Don't remember who it was that brought up the Warmoth folks, but THANKS. Very cool site that makes me salivate heavily.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 7, 2006
                                      Mike,

                                      Then your Godin is comparatively recent. They used to use
                                      L. R. Baggs, but switched something like 4 years ago, or
                                      perhaps a bit longer.

                                      I mention cross-talk because it doesn't have to be an
                                      "all the time' phenomenon, it can indeed be more noticible
                                      only during the presence of certain harmonics, said harmonics
                                      causing a 'resonance', if you will. Also, you say that you
                                      can derive the offensive behaviour only at certain positions
                                      along the neck, another clue to me.

                                      Let's work our way through an example. Imagine that you're
                                      playing the second harmonic on the 'D' string. You note no
                                      problems. Now you play the first harmonic, and the 'G' string
                                      throws up a mighty ugly sound. But playing that same harmonic
                                      on the 'A' string (where it's the second harmonic) does not
                                      cause any problems with the 'D' string. The resonance wasn't
                                      strong enough, thus, no cross-talk. See my point? A simple
                                      example, to be sure, but good enough for illustration purposes.

                                      It's something to consider. You might get in touch with the
                                      Godin folks, I'm sure they'd be interested in this problem.

                                      unlunf

                                      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, mike <cedarwind0310@...> wrote:

                                      > Unlunf-
                                      >
                                      > The Godin LGX-SA uses RMC pickups with a custom pre-amp according
                                      > to their site.
                                      >
                                      > I hadn't thought about cross-talk. Interesting idea. Now... What
                                      > to do about that possibility? I was thinking more about harmonics
                                      > as it only occurs in certain note combinations in certain positions.
                                      >
                                      > But, hey... You got me thinkin.
                                      >
                                      > mike

                                    • mike

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 9, 2006
                                          Mike,

                                          Sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been up to par.
                                          Being Canadian, Godin isn't known for laziness in the support
                                          department - they've got a solid reputation amongst the all
                                          the players I've ever spoken with.

                                          When you next email them, make sure that they can see the CC:
                                          line, so it's clear to them that they are being watched by a
                                          lot of other people, both buyers and vendors, and whole groups
                                          or lists like this one. That might have the desired effect. <g>