Re: [GR-30] Re: Digest Number 2083

  • Jon Engel
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hey Chad, that's not an easy question to answer. I wouldn't recommend either one if you don't think you want to get into patch editing, they both sounded good in their day but that was ten years ago. If you want a Roland and just scroll through presets, look at an XV-2020, that has newer waveforms. If you want to roll up your sleeves a little, more than you do with the GR's (which are little more than sound canvases with JV/XV samples) than an older JV is a good relatively cheap place to start. There is free software on the net for the entire 6A line so if you're comfortable with that then the limitations of the 1080's user interface are less of an issue. I chose the 2080 for the user interface and the more complete MIDI implementation (unlike the 1080 it responds to cc#'s 71-74, attack, release, filter cutoff and resonance) and the fact that it can hold 8 expansion boards. The price of the two should be about the same, in the $250 to $400 range. The bargan basement of the
      line is the JV-1010, you can probably get one of those in the $200 to $250 range but you pay for it in user interface.

      Another thought, used TR (Trinity) racks are going for about the same prices, those sounds may be a better complement to the sounds in the GR guitar synths. I prefer Roland synths myself, but the TR is a great unit with a lot of very familiar sounds in it. Jon E.

      Chad Bomber <chad_csa@...> wrote: Thanks Jon,

      In your opinion as a guitar player which is the best way to go, I am not a
      techno wiz.
      THANKS
      Chad
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 3, 2006
        unlunf brings up a good point, you will expand your synth palette more by picking up another manufacturer's product. But frankly, the GR-33 doesn't give you much more than a small slice of the Roland JV palette. Bearing in mind the GR's initial price point was around $500 and the JV's was more like $1500, you'd expect there to be lot more to the JV than a GR and there is. Not to minimize the GR-33 but to be fair, it is a basic sample playback engine, pretty much a soundcanvas with JV (and some expansion board) patch samples (different from the JV/exp waveform samples) and an EFX chip. The JV is a full blown 64 voice, 16 part multi-timbral synth with 4 oscillators/waveforms per patch, 2 LFO's per oscillator, 1 TVF and 1 TVA per oscillator, pitch envelope, resonant filters, 1 EFX chip (3 in the 2080), 4 ROM expansion slots (8 in the 2080) and a bunch of other buzzers and whistles that you'd expect in Roland's one time top of the line synth. There's a good case to get another
        manfacturer's synth, there's also a pretty good case to get a JV too. My $.02. Jon E.

        unlunf <unlunf@...> wrote:
        Chad,

        I see where I went wrong - I inadvertantly 'forgot' to tell
        eBay to show "All" countries; I default to show just Canada.

        That said, I see this morning that there are indeed several
        units for less than $400, and one's down at $259, with only
        2 hours left! Now for that, I could consider it.

        But wait, didn't Roland swipe the GR-33's sound sample set
        directly from the JV-1080??? (Google results confirm this
        on many sites - search on 'roland gr-33 sound sample'.)
        So, what's the benefit of an external version of the same
        sample set? Expandability? Not bad, but now we're talkin'
        about the cost vs. benefit ratio. For less than $250, if it
        comes with re-writable expansion modules, and if you already
        have a bunch of samples (free or low cost), then yeah, it
        might be worthwhile to go external. But if the modules are
        _not_ re-writable, then what could you add that would make
        the results more 'personal', hence, still worth the money?

        Just lettin' my mind wander here, sometimes it needs to get
        some fresh air, if you know what I mean. <g>

        unlunf

        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Bomber" <chad_csa@m...> wrote:

        > Thanks for replying, just wonder if anybody has used it.
        > Thinking about running my GR 33 and GR 1 into a JV 1080 and
        > then into a stereo line mixer along with a VG-88. There are
        > some JV1080 for under $400.00 on Ebay now.
        > THANKS
        >
        > Chad

        for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
        to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
        to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
        to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

        Air sampler Sampler soil Soil sampler Sampler Guitar synth Guitar synthesizer

        ---------------------------------

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 3, 2006
          I am routing into a Gigastudio (and making settings of course to accommodate
          doing so).
          So many sample sets for Giga and so easy to create sample sets!

          Scott

          _____

[...]
          There's a good manfacturer's synth, there's also a pretty good case to get a
          JV too. My $.02. Jon E.

          unlunf <unlunf@...> wrote:
          Chad,

          I see where I went wrong - I inadvertantly 'forgot' to tell
          eBay to show "All" countries; I default to show just Canada.

          That said, I see this morning that there are indeed several
          units for less than $400, and one's down at $259, with only
          2 hours left! Now for that, I could consider it.

          But wait, didn't Roland swipe the GR-33's sound sample set
          directly from the JV-1080??? (Google results confirm this
          on many sites - search on 'roland gr-33 sound sample'.)
          So, what's the benefit of an external version of the same
          sample set? Expandability? Not bad, but now we're talkin'
          about the cost vs. benefit ratio. For less than $250, if it
          comes with re-writable expansion modules, and if you already
          have a bunch of samples (free or low cost), then yeah, it
          might be worthwhile to go external. But if the modules are
          _not_ re-writable, then what could you add that would make
          the results more 'personal', hence, still worth the money?

          Just lettin' my mind wander here, sometimes it needs to get
          some fresh air, if you know what I mean. <g>

          unlunf

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Chad Bomber" <chad_csa@m...> wrote:

          > Thanks for replying, just wonder if anybody has used it.
          > Thinking about running my GR 33 and GR 1 into a JV 1080 and
          > then into a stereo line mixer along with a VG-88. There are
          > some JV1080 for under $400.00 on Ebay now.
          > THANKS
          >
          > Chad

          The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
          tentacle_joe@...

          for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
          to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
          to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
          to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

          Air sampler Sampler soil Soil sampler Sampler Guitar synth
          Guitar synthesizer

          ---------------------------------

          for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
          to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
          to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
          to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

          Air
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Air+sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+s
          oil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=1
          08&.sig=aqs81_i9Ll1YIXdWj0aSCA> sampler Sampler
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sampler+soil&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+
          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=
          108&.sig=zPHl2v-6_Ww2ZPvRmoXp_g> soil Soil
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Soil+sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+
          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=
          108&.sig=3tuSp7uMUozFbVjz90oYYw> sampler
          Sampler
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+soil&
          w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=108&.
          sig=tI-RTpR0OL5rooVQcI4DJQ> Guitar
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Guitar+synth&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+
          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=
          108&.sig=Zy-lA59TFVH78ok-DfiDOg> synth Guitar
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Guitar+synthesizer&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sa
          mpler+soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&
          c=6&s=108&.sig=cdBmoRdGX-du4AsnwbTXXQ> synthesizer

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 3, 2006
            Woops - didn't mean to include entire digest.

            Scott

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 3, 2006
              I have also had good success with the GR-33 controlling Reason from within
              Sonar as well as the Gigastudio.
              For me hardware samplers and synths are a thing of the past (aside from my
              JUNO 60 which also tracks great
              with many different settings via an MD-8 DCB convertor).

            • unlunf
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                Damn, Jon, but now you've made me wanna go out and snatch
                one of these babies off eBay! <lol> Them's some impressive
                specs!

                Seriously, I do like your idea of an alternate sound source
                better than just another Roland unit. I'm not married to
                Roland, they just happen to be the only game in town for
                guitars. <g> For my money, Yamaha has always had the best
                piano sound set, bar none. But I recognize that if it
                really were the best one in the world, no other manufacturer
                would be making and selling their own piano samples... and
                we all know the score on that one, right? <g> Just goes to
                show, my mileage really is varying! <lol>

                unlunf

                --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Jon Engel <jonengel@...> wrote:

                > unlunf brings up a good point, you will expand your synth palette
                > more by picking up another manufacturer's product. But frankly,
                > the GR-33 doesn't give you much more than a small slice of the
                > Roland JV palette. Bearing in mind the GR's initial price point
                > was around $500 and the JV's was more like $1500, you'd expect
                > there to be lot more to the JV than a GR and there is. Not to
                > minimize the GR-33 but to be fair, it is a basic sample playback
                > engine, pretty much a soundcanvas with JV (and some expansion
                > board) patch samples (different from the JV/exp waveform samples)
                > and an EFX chip. The JV is a full blown 64 voice, 16 part multi-
                > timbral synth with 4 oscillators/waveforms per patch, 2 LFO's per
                > oscillator, 1 TVF and 1 TVA per oscillator, pitch envelope,
                > resonant filters, 1 EFX chip (3 in the 2080), 4 ROM expansion slots
                > (8 in the 2080) and a bunch of other buzzers and whistles that
                > you'd expect in Roland's one time top of the line synth. There's
                > a good case to get another manfacturer's synth, there's also a
                > pretty good case to get a JV too. My $.02.
                >
                > Jon E.

              • Jon Engel
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 6, 2006
                  unlunf, I forgot to mention in all those specs, one of the most unique and creative aspects of the JV synth architecture that it is still implemented in the Fantoms, they're called structures. In a nutshell, it's a series of different routing options between two of the four oscillators/waveforms (you can select a different structure for the other two oscillators and mix them in the final output of the patch) and their filters and envelopes that allow you to do things like put both oscillator filters in series so you can model a Moog filter or run one or both oscillators through a ring modulator to emulate FM synths. They also introduce a gain stage (called a booster) in some structures that opens up some very interesting possibilities. It's not completely mix and match like a real modular, in the JV you are limited to 10 set structures, but I honestly don't think this is limiting for most of us, <g> there are some sounds in there you can't get on any other manufacturer's gear.

                  Piano sounds are a very subjective subject, like picking a humbucker, it depends on your tastes and what you intend to use it for. Yamaha pianos set very well in a mix but I generally prefer Rolands and Kurzweil pianos in solo performance. A lot of folks like the Motif piano but I still think it's a little tiney, a little harder to tame, but I'll admit I haven't had a chance to sit down with the Motif ES piano yet. Roland generally has the darkest piano sound of all the major hardware manufacturers which in my opinion makes them a little more expressive. But they can get too thick live if you're not careful. You don't hear a lot of good things about Korg pianos, since the M1 they seem to have had a little trouble getting a good (or at least popular) piano sound out of their synths. I suppose the OASYS solves that problem, if you got $8k in the bank. <g> Jon E.

                  unlunf <unlunf@...> wrote:
                  Damn, Jon, but now you've made me wanna go out and snatch
                  one of these babies off eBay! <lol> Them's some impressive
                  specs!

                  Seriously, I do like your idea of an alternate sound source
                  better than just another Roland unit. I'm not married to
                  Roland, they just happen to be the only game in town for
                  guitars. <g> For my money, Yamaha has always had the best
                  piano sound set, bar none. But I recognize that if it
                  really were the best one in the world, no other manufacturer
                  would be making and selling their own piano samples... and
                  we all know the score on that one, right? <g> Just goes to
                  show, my mileage really is varying! <lol>

                  unlunf

                  --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, Jon Engel <jonengel@...> wrote:

                  > unlunf brings up a good point, you will expand your synth palette
                  > more by picking up another manufacturer's product. But frankly,
                  > the GR-33 doesn't give you much more than a small slice of the
                  > Roland JV palette. Bearing in mind the GR's initial price point
                  > was around $500 and the JV's was more like $1500, you'd expect
                  > there to be lot more to the JV than a GR and there is. Not to
                  > minimize the GR-33 but to be fair, it is a basic sample playback
                  > engine, pretty much a soundcanvas with JV (and some expansion
                  > board) patch samples (different from the JV/exp waveform samples)
                  > and an EFX chip. The JV is a full blown 64 voice, 16 part multi-
                  > timbral synth with 4 oscillators/waveforms per patch, 2 LFO's per
                  > oscillator, 1 TVF and 1 TVA per oscillator, pitch envelope,
                  > resonant filters, 1 EFX chip (3 in the 2080), 4 ROM expansion slots
                  > (8 in the 2080) and a bunch of other buzzers and whistles that
                  > you'd expect in Roland's one time top of the line synth. There's
                  > a good case to get another manfacturer's synth, there's also a
                  > pretty good case to get a JV too. My $.02.
                  >
                  > Jon E.

                  for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
                  to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

                  Air sampler Sampler soil Soil sampler Sampler Guitar synth Guitar synthesizer

                  ---------------------------------

                • Angelo Frisina
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 10, 2006
                    How do you set up the gr 33 to talk to reason ( what ver do you have)

                    a newbie Angelo
                    >I have also had good success with the GR-33 controlling Reason from within
                    > Sonar as well as the Gigastudio.
                    > For me hardware samplers and synths are a thing of the past (aside from my
                    > JUNO 60 which also tracks great
                    > with many different settings via an MD-8 DCB convertor).

                    > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
                    > tentacle_joe@...
                    >
                    > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
                    > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
                    > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Scott
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 11, 2006
                      Other than the internal synth of the GR-33, I use the Roland JUNO 60 and the
                      GigaStudio in real time,
                      Reason for playback after the recording although you can control Reason
                      (2.5) with a track set to echo
                      in the host, but as with any DXi there is latency in real time. I haven't
                      tried to use file samples in Reason
                      for control, (having the GigaStudio gives me no reason to - no pun intended)
                      but I would imagine that the
                      latency wouldn't be a problem with file samples as is the case with
                      GigaStudio.

                      Scott

[...]

                    • moon caine
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2006
                        http://www.propellerheads.se/home/discover/index.cfm?
                        fuseaction=get_article&article=part8
                        --moonie

                        On 10 Feb 2006, at 15:58, Angelo Frisina wrote:

                        > How do you set up the gr 33 to talk to reason ( what ver do you have)
                        >
                        > a newbie Angelo

                        -- I can believe it's not butter.
                        mooncaine@...
                      • kipdotkip2
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 16 2:47 PM
                          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <tbarric1@...> wrote:

                          > Other than the internal synth of the GR-33, I use the Roland JUNO
                          60 and the
                          > GigaStudio in real time,
                          > Reason for playback after the recording although you can control
                          Reason
                          > (2.5) with a track set to echo
                          > in the host, but as with any DXi there is latency in real time. I
                          haven't
                          > tried to use file samples in Reason
                          > for control, (having the GigaStudio gives me no reason to - no pun
                          intended)
                          > but I would imagine that the
                          > latency wouldn't be a problem with file samples as is the case with
                          > GigaStudio.
                          >
                          > Scott
                          >
                          > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -the latency
                          is more a mater of the host comp running ALLWAYS video-ect+ mainly
                          its own opperating system -the reason(koff--which i also incedentally
                          have )that the much slower comp chip on the hardware runs so much
                          faster is becaue each comp cycle it only runs the mus program
                          > tentacle_joe@...
                          >
                          > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
                          > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

                          > Air
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Air+sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+s

                          oil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c
                          =6&s=1
                          > 08&.sig=aqs81_i9Ll1YIXdWj0aSCA> sampler Sampler
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Sampler+soil&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+

                          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&
                          c=6&s=
                          > 108&.sig=zPHl2v-6_Ww2ZPvRmoXp_g> soil Soil
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Soil+sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+

                          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&
                          c=6&s=
                          > 108&.sig=3tuSp7uMUozFbVjz90oYYw> sampler
                          > Sampler
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Sampler&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+soil&

                          w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s
                          =108&.
                          > sig=tI-RTpR0OL5rooVQcI4DJQ> Guitar
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Guitar+synth&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sampler+

                          soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&
                          c=6&s=
                          > 108&.sig=Zy-lA59TFVH78ok-DfiDOg> synth Guitar
                          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Guitar+synthesizer&w1=Air+sampler&w2=Sa

                          mpler+soil&w3=Soil+sampler&w4=Sampler&w5=Guitar+synth&w6=Guitar+synthe
                          sizer&
                          > c=6&s=108&.sig=cdBmoRdGX-du4AsnwbTXXQ> synthesizer
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          30> " on
                          > the web.

                          Service
                          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                          >

                          > _____

                        • unlunf
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 17 12:15 AM
                            Kip,

                            I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've been elected to
                            break the news to you. There is no prize for sending out the
                            largest number of messages in the shortest possible time. <g>

                            Kip, I know you do the digest thing, and that's cool, but we
                            here are kind of wondering about a couple of things. Like,
                            why do you wait until the topic is thrashed, dead and buried
                            before you respond? But that wouldn't be so bad if, when you
                            did respond, you actually offered up in some of your own prose.
                            By my count now, you've posted 13 times, and each message is
                            nothing more than a long quotation of previous messages, with
                            zilch from you. Where's your contribution, my friend?

                            Come on in, the water's fine, but if you're gonna swim with us,
                            then you've got to bring your own flippers to the party! <lol>

                            unlunf

                            p.s. I'm also sure I speak for everyone here when I ask you,
                            politely, to trim off the ends of whatever you're quoting, just
                            like I did below. We really, really, *REALLY* don't need to
                            see yet another iteration of 'To subscribe to Yahoo groups'
                            taking up bandwidth. The Delete key is everyone's friend. <g>
                            I knew you'd understand, thanks much.

                            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "kipdotkip2" <kipdotkip2@...> wrote:

                            > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <tbarric1@> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Other than the internal synth of the GR-33, I use the Roland JUNO
                            >> 60 and the GigaStudio in real time, Reason for playback after the
                            >> recording although you can control Reason (2.5) with a track set
                            >> to echo in the host, but as with any DXi there is latency in real
                            >> time. I haven't tried to use file samples in Reason for control,
                            >> (having the GigaStudio gives me no reason to - no pun intended)
                            >> but I would imagine that the latency wouldn't be a problem with
                            >> file samples as is the case with GigaStudio.
                            >>
                            >> Scott

                            (trimming took place here - I deleted the rest of this because
                            we've all seen it already, and it had no bearing on the message.

                          • Steve Meiers
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 17 8:50 PM
                              Hey Unlunf,

                              I was wondering the same thing, if Kip ever really writes anything or just
                              hits the rebound bootawn.

                              I thought maybe Kip just liked to write ">" in front of everything he
                              writes.

                              Or maybe Kip just gets real excited reading the messages here and clicks the
                              reply and send buttons before he gets a chance to write anything. Sort of
                              written premature ej#%@$#@$ nevermind.

                              Or maybe it's a communist plot?

                              Or one of those web spiders gathering up our intimate secrets here in
                              GR-Land.

                              So what is it Kip? Are we not men? We are D.E.V.O.

                              I like puzzles as much as the next person, but this IS going on for a while
                              now. hmmmm.

                              steve m