Re: Fitting a GK-3 on a Fender Strataccoustic

  • unlunf
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
      Steve,

      > If I remember right, the GK-2A was designed mainly
      > for Stratocaster type configurations, with a flatter
      > bridge; and the GK-3 was designed for Les Paul type
      > configurations, with a slightly arched bridge.

      Err, nope. The GK2 had a narrow E-to-E spacing, which
      was almost fine for most Fenders, but left the LP crowd
      out in the cold. The GK2a was lengthened to the point
      where it almost long enough to work for the LP without
      being too long to still work for the Strat. It's a
      compromise, to say the least, but for most players, it
      works fine.

      The GK3a was built with the same length, but about 30%
      shorter in height, so that it would fit more easily
      under the strings on guitars with low bridges such as
      acoustics. This has all been attributed to Roland's
      own literature, but in attempting to find it tonight
      for reference in this post, I can't reach either the
      US or the British sites..... hmmmm.

      unlunf
    • Matt Seniff
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2005
        unlunf wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > > If I remember right, the GK-2A was designed mainly
        > > for Stratocaster type configurations, with a flatter
        > > bridge; and the GK-3 was designed for Les Paul type
        > > configurations, with a slightly arched bridge.
        >
        > Err, nope. The GK2 had a narrow E-to-E spacing, which
        > was almost fine for most Fenders, but left the LP crowd
        > out in the cold. The GK2a was lengthened to the point
        > where it almost long enough to work for the LP without
        > being too long to still work for the Strat. It's a
        > compromise, to say the least, but for most players, it
        > works fine.
        >
        > The GK3a was built with the same length, but about 30%
        > shorter in height, so that it would fit more easily
        > under the strings on guitars with low bridges such as
        > acoustics. This has all been attributed to Roland's
        > own literature, but in attempting to find it tonight
        > for reference in this post, I can't reach either the
        > US or the British sites..... hmmmm.

        The GK3 has some small adjustment screws on the top to adjust the poles
        to better match the curvature and spacing of the strings. If you haven't
        already done so try adjusting these screws. In fact AFAIR the
        installation manual may have even had some settings for different
        guitars in relation to these adjustments. I have 2 GK3's on my Switch
        (Les Paul analogues) and very slight adjustments were required but it
        looked like it could be adjusted for Fender spacing. So maybe RTFM is
        the real answer if you have not already done so. Matt
      • moon caine
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
          On Dec 01, 2005, at 4:02 AM, unlunf wrote:
          > The GK3a was built with the same length, but about 30%
          > shorter in height, so that it would fit more easily
          > under the strings on guitars with low bridges such as
          > acoustics.

          Or even to fit on many Fender electrics. There ain't much space between
          strings and pickguard, sometimes. On my old 3-bolt Strat, my GK2A just
          barely fit -- and when I took it off to move it to another guitar,
          later, I saw that the strings had been touching it and had scratched
          off 6 little bare spaces in the black paint.

          I like the 2A's wart better -- the cable comes out in a more convenient
          place for me than the 3's wart allows. Oh well -- my next Roland pickup
          will be an internal kit.

          --moonie
        • Cliff Lang
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2005
            > Davor, I always enjoy reading your impressions of the many guitars and
            > rigs that you try.

            > --moonie

            I was going to send a similar note yesterday. Mr. Pavuna, your comments are
            always meaningful, articulately expressed, helpful and judiciously well
            thought-out. And besides, you're often right! You embody the best aspects of
            this list.

            > Oh well -- my next Roland pickup
            > will be an internal kit.
            >
            > --moonie

            No one who is taping their GK to a guitar should consider himself serious
            about using a GR synth. As I've said several times on this list, the only
            really professional setup for a Roland synth pickup is internal
            installation. Until you make the commitment to do it right you're just
            messing around, experimenting. The tape is fine for trying things out but
            unsuitable for permanent or professional use. It's just not pro gear.

            Oh heck Davor would have probably said it better but there it is.

            Cliff Lang
            Santa Rosa CA
          • unlunf
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2005
              moonie,

              > I saw that the strings had been touching it and had
              > scratched off 6 little bare spaces in the black paint.

              Well, that mystery is finally solved. Now you know
              where all those fuzzy harmonics were coming from! <g>

              unlunf