Re: Fender Mexican GR-Ready Strat problem.

  • unlunf
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
      Cliff,

      How did I get the impression that you had a tube amp????
      (Now I'm paying for clipping off the older messages
      when I reply. <frown>) <g>

      It shouldn't matter which model TKO, they're all solid
      state (all the ones I've seen, anyway). And I agree with
      you, they're just the ticket for those who use a Roland
      vg-8/88 or gr-20/30/33.

      What's causing it to cut-out? Well, from your final note
      on "turning it up, and back down", Mr. Smartie thinks
      that you may have a dirty pot. But first, he wants to
      know, does this 'corrective' action work with any of the
      pots, or just a particular one? If it's just one, there's
      your culprit. If all of them do it, then we'll have to
      move on to Plan B. <g>

      I was gonna write a long dissertation on how to clean
      the pots in amp. Before I do that, lemme ask, do you
      want me to write it up? Be glad to, if you're comfortable
      with taking the chassis out of the cabinet. If not,
      no worries, mate. <g>

      unlunf

      --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@s...> wrote:

      > OK Mr. Smartie, what's making my solid state PV amp cut out
      > randomly, then resume working temporarily when I turn it up
      > and back down?
      >
      > Cliff Lang
      > Santa Rosa CA

    • unlunf
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
        moonie,

        You should be able to find desiccant bags at your local (?)
        UPS, Fedex, Airborne, or other shipping store. Possibly
        even places like MailBoxes Etc, Pony Express, so on and
        so forth.

        About that Fender Champ....
        Is it just a blown fuse that keeps it from turning on?
        Get it fixed, and don't let it sit too long without firing
        it up, or the caps will certainly dry out on you. (Humidity
        won't slow that process down more than a percent or two.)
        But do squirrel it away, because it's like a license to
        print money - it ain't ever gonna go down in value. <lol>

        unlunf

        --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, moon caine <mooncaine@g...> wrote:

        > I'm eating Smarties right now, waiting on trick-or-treaters, and
        > I they aren't working on me -- I don't have a clue why your amp
        > is cutting in and out. Nor why my Fender Champ just stopped
        > turning on one day. Maybe I'll get it fixed, but I have a VG88,
        > so ... probably it'll just sit in the closet for years.
        >
        > Anyone know where to get some good dessicant bags, or something
        > similar, that we can use when we store stuff in our basements and
        > attics? I live in the Deep South, where it ain't the heat, it's
        > the humidity.
        >
        > --moonie

      • Jon Engel
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
          I used to use a TNT 130, it had a Molex speaker connector (plastic two or three pin socket) that inserted into Molex pins in the center of the circuit board that had a tendancy to come loose. The pins are comparatively large and have expansion slots in them, if you take a very fine screwdriver or pen knife and open the expansion joints just a little the connection will improve. While you have the amp apart cleaning those pins as best you can with fine steel wool and giving the pots a quick cleaning with tuner spray won't hurt either. Jon E.

          unlunf <unlunf@...> wrote:Cliff,

          How did I get the impression that you had a tube amp????
          (Now I'm paying for clipping off the older messages
          when I reply. <frown>) <g>

          It shouldn't matter which model TKO, they're all solid
          state (all the ones I've seen, anyway). And I agree with
          you, they're just the ticket for those who use a Roland
          vg-8/88 or gr-20/30/33.

          What's causing it to cut-out? Well, from your final note
          on "turning it up, and back down", Mr. Smartie thinks
          that you may have a dirty pot. But first, he wants to
          know, does this 'corrective' action work with any of the
          pots, or just a particular one? If it's just one, there's
          your culprit. If all of them do it, then we'll have to
          move on to Plan B. <g>

          I was gonna write a long dissertation on how to clean
          the pots in amp. Before I do that, lemme ask, do you
          want me to write it up? Be glad to, if you're comfortable
          with taking the chassis out of the cabinet. If not,
          no worries, mate. <g>

          unlunf

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@s...> wrote:

          > OK Mr. Smartie, what's making my solid state PV amp cut out
          > randomly, then resume working temporarily when I turn it up
          > and back down?
          >
          > Cliff Lang
          > Santa Rosa CA

          for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
          to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
          to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
          to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

          Air sampler Sampler soil Soil sampler Sampler Guitar synth Guitar synthesizer

          ---------------------------------

        • James L. Harrison
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
            Did you ever make yourself a "tool" to get the contact cleaner into the
            pot without removing it when the only opening in the pot is on the
            bottom side jammed up close to the chassis?

            James

            >Message: 3
            > Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:58:33 -0000
            > From: "unlunf" <unlunf@...>
            >Subject: Re: Fender Mexican GR-Ready Strat problem.
            >
            >Cliff,
            >
            >How did I get the impression that you had a tube amp????
            >(Now I'm paying for clipping off the older messages
            >when I reply. <frown>) <g>
            >
            >It shouldn't matter which model TKO, they're all solid
            >state (all the ones I've seen, anyway). And I agree with
            >you, they're just the ticket for those who use a Roland
            >vg-8/88 or gr-20/30/33.
            >
            >What's causing it to cut-out? Well, from your final note
            >on "turning it up, and back down", Mr. Smartie thinks
            >that you may have a dirty pot. But first, he wants to
            >know, does this 'corrective' action work with any of the
            >pots, or just a particular one? If it's just one, there's
            >your culprit. If all of them do it, then we'll have to
            >move on to Plan B. <g>
            >
            >I was gonna write a long dissertation on how to clean
            >the pots in amp. Before I do that, lemme ask, do you
            >want me to write it up? Be glad to, if you're comfortable
            >with taking the chassis out of the cabinet. If not,
            >no worries, mate. <g>
            >

            >unlunf

          • Moon Caine
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
              This may not help, but ... I have a solid state amp that cuts in and out, so
              to speak, but in my case, I'm absolutely sure what it is: it's the volume
              pots. It's got 3 channels, and all of them cut in and out to some degree
              when I turn the volume knobs. I bet all the pots are filthy inside, but the
              EQ ones never caused any probs that I've noticed. I've never cleaned 'em,
              don't even know how to get at 'em, and the amp's spent years in one damp,
              hot basement after another. I live in the Deep South, where the humidity
              comes up to your eyeballs. It's muggy down here, I'm tellin' ya.
              I just live with it, because it's not serious in my case. I just turn the
              knob back and forth a few [OK, ten] times, and it seems to settle down. If
              it doesn't, I just 'bump' the knob til the sound comes back in to full
              volume. For a garage jammer, it's fine. For gigs, I'd have to see about
              getting those pots cleaned or replaced, I guess.
              The amp's a Peavey KB150, I think. Keep forgetting that model number. Great
              for the VG and my GR. Absolutely awful for 'real' guitar. Heavy as a
              frickin' car. Built solid. No frills, no big surprises, just a solid,
              workhorse amp well worth the $250 I paid for it when it was new.
              --moon

              --
              GMail tip: applying a label to many, many messages is tedious after the
              first few pages, so save yourself some clicking and dragging by renaming the

            • Moon Caine
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                unlunf, thanks for the advice. I'm glad this subject came up. I'll take it
                to my guitar/amp repair shop soon and ask 'em to give it the once-over,
                without doing anything that would harm resale value, if possible. I have
                hardly played it in years, so maybe those caps have already dried up.
                --moon