Re: [GR-30] Ideal Guitar Wish List

  • Glenn Saunders
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
      Most of the people have given suggestions for entirely new synth guitar
      ideas rather than ideas for 13-pin compatible guitars.

      What are you planning on building? Custom guitars that have divided
      pickups or piezos already installed or something completely new including
      the MIDI converter system?

      At 11:35 AM 3/31/2005, you wrote:

      >I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000) guitars
      >and basses.
      >We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because of my
      >own interest,
      >and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas about
      >this, but I'd like to
      >ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the ideal
      >instrument would
      >be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already being
      >covered.
    • Davor Pavuna
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
        It would to be like PRS Single cut (25'' neck and LP-like neck stability)
        with Duncans pickups in '513' configuration + RMC with 13pin out.

        An alternative would be PRS single cut body with Variax acoustic
        electronics + RMC 13pin with 2 real jazzy splittable Duncan pickups.

        Btw, Godin LGX-SA or XT and Brian Moore 2.13i are almost as good.

        The $330 Switch Wild midi is fine but has pick-up in the
        bridge position rather than in the neck; also - no Duncans !

        Fwiw, Davor

        I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
        guitars and basses.
        We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly
        because of my own interest,
        and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas
        about this, but I'd like to
        ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the
        ideal instrument would
        be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
        being covered. Thanks mroree
      • pete@firingblind
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
          Davor,

          I have to say that in the last year and a half since purchasing it my Brian
          Moore 2.13i has really shown it's versatility and has become not just my
          synth driver but a excellent backup for my Les Paul Custom as well.

          I think you would enjoy all the features available in one instrument
          including:

          on-board micro toggle for patch changes
          built in piezo bridge
          RMC, of course
          2 Duncan Humbuckers are stock

          My favorite feature is the on-board 3 way toggle switch that offers
          synth only/guitar plus synth/guitar only settings, great for switching
          between string and horn pads to flat out guitar solo mode during course of
          one song - invaluable to me in my cover band.

          Best,
          Pete

          on 4/1/05 3:00 PM, Davor Pavuna at davor.pavuna@... wrote:

          > It would to be like PRS Single cut (25'' neck and LP-like neck stability)
          > with Duncans pickups in '513' configuration + RMC with 13pin out.
          >
          > An alternative would be PRS single cut body with Variax acoustic
          > electronics + RMC 13pin with 2 real jazzy splittable Duncan pickups.
          >
          > Btw, Godin LGX-SA or XT and Brian Moore 2.13i are almost as good.
          >
          > The $330 Switch Wild midi is fine but has pick-up in the
          > bridge position rather than in the neck; also - no Duncans !
          >
          > Fwiw, Davor

        • Lafferty, Sean B
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
            1) Tracking without glitches is very important. I would be nice to
            not change my technique to compensate for glitchy triggers.

            2) It would be nice if it had the good analog synth sounds of the 70s
            (Moog, ARP, etc.). Also it's better if the synthesized sounds are not
            sampled. In a real synth you can change the resonant frequency and filters.
            That's hard to do on sounds that were sampled.

            3) It's paramount that the cable jack connection at the guitar be
            sturdy. A locking mechanism is preferred. But perhaps even better would be
            a wireless interface.

            4) It would be nice if it could be plugged into high impedance tube
            amps and sound good. Then I wouldn't need two amps at a gig (1 solid state
            clean, and 1 tube for rock distortion)

            5) Is it possible to come up with a system where the player can be
            first play thru the synth and then trigger, via a switch on the guitar, an
            external sound generating device? While the external device is generating a
            sample the player can resume playing thru the synth. It would be cool if
            this can be done smoothly in a live performance.

            6) I'd recommend not slacking on the guitar quality, especially the
            neck. If the synth sounds good but the guitar feels lousy, I'd probably
            replace one of the pickups on my Les Paul or Stratocaster with a Sound
            Garage hex pickup and ply thru the Roland, rather than play the new guitar.
            I have a Godin I use live and it's definitely not the same feel-wise as the
            Les Paul.

            Anyway, what a cool job you must have. I've often seriously thought of
            starting my own musical instrument company. Maybe after I'm done with the
            MBA I'll take the plunge.

            Cheers and Good Luck,

            AnalogSoulPie

            I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000) guitars and
            basses.
            We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because of my
            own interest,
            and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas about this,
            but I'd like to
            ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the ideal
            instrument would
            be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already being
            covered.

            Thanks

            The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
            tentacle_joe@...

            for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
            to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
            to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
            to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129bhqqc7/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=gr
            plch/S=1705032144:HM/EXP=1112384202/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
            etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=grplch/S=
            :HM/A=2593423/rand=402452905>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • moon caine
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
              To me, it doesn't matter where the synth or MIDI electronics are -- on
              the floor or in the guitar -- because what I would shop for is an
              'aftermarket' device that I could attach to the guitar of my choice.

              What would it take to make me buy a guitar that had the synth built
              into it?

              - It'd have to be on the low end of that price range you described
              - It'd have to be a guitar that suited my tastes [you'd have to offer a
              range of choices to suit a range of players, but mine would include,
              for example, a maple neck and fretboard and a vibrato bridge with
              adjustable tension so I could get a light, floaty feel from the whammy
              bar].
              - It'd have to offer most or all of the controls on the guitar, not on
              the floor unit, in a way that offers live access while playing [so, no
              up/down buttons, no menus, but rather knobs and switches that directly
              change settings or adjust things like filter sweep].
              -

              On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:35 PM, mroree wrote:

              > I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
              > guitars and basses.
              > We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because
              > of my own interest,
              > and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas about
              > this, but I'd like to
              > ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the ideal
              > instrument would
              > be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
              > being covered.
              >
              > Thanks
              >

              > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
              > tentacle_joe@...
              >
              > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
              > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
              > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • solaire98198
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
                Hey Pete: I agree, I have a Brian Moore i2.13 and it tracks great, in
                Fact I liked it so much I purchased a i1.13 so I could have a
                Tremolo! The original post on this topic was from a guy who was doing
                Research "for his company", as to what people would want in a "synth"
                "midi" Guitar. I have learned that "maybe" the Ghost systems track
                Even better, than the "RMC's". I personally would want
                Any "Synth/Midi" guitar to at least have 13-pin compatibility. I to
                Have a Gibson Les Paul, mine is a 1985 Classic. I would never carve
                Up my Les Paul to fit a "RMC" or "Ghost" system. The only real
                Alternative is the Roland GK pickup. I have read here that
                The "Ghost" systems are superior to the "RMC's". If I was to check
                That out, I would just have to buy a Godin, "or whatever other make
                Utilized the Ghost system". I believe that Gibson is on the wrong
                Track with their "Digital Guitar". Gibson's system is based on
                Computer Software compliance. I would rather own a piece of gear,
                i.e.:
                GR-33/VG-88, rather than CD Rom software. Only time will tell, "I
                Could be totally wrong". I compare all of this to Hot-Rodding a car.
                Do you want to carve up a classic, or buy a new classic with all the
                Modern features. Anyway, here is the link to that Gibson Digital
                Guitar.
                http://www.gibsondigital.com/
                --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "pete@f..." <pete@f...> wrote:
                > Davor,
                >
                > I have to say that in the last year and a half since purchasing it
                my Brian
                > Moore 2.13i has really shown it's versatility and has become not
                just my
                > synth driver but a excellent backup for my Les Paul Custom as well.
                >
                > I think you would enjoy all the features available in one instrument
                > including:
                >
                > on-board micro toggle for patch changes
                > built in piezo bridge
                > RMC, of course
                > 2 Duncan Humbuckers are stock
                >
                > My favorite feature is the on-board 3 way toggle switch that offers
                > synth only/guitar plus synth/guitar only settings, great for
                switching
                > between string and horn pads to flat out guitar solo mode during
                course of
                > one song - invaluable to me in my cover band.
                >
                > Best,
                > Pete
              • pete
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 2, 2005
                  On Saturday, April 2, 2005, at 02:03 AM, solaire98198 wrote:

                  > Hey Pete: I agree, I have a Brian Moore i2.13 and it tracks great, in
                  > Fact I liked it so much I purchased a i1.13 so I could have a
                  > Tremolo!

                  Does the trem work in conjunction with the synth sounds or is that not
                  possible with the GR33 technology?

                  > The original post on this topic was from a guy who was doing
                  > Research "for his company", as to what people would want in a "synth"
                  > "midi" Guitar.

                  Yeah, my apologies, I posted follow-up to the wrong thread. I was
                  following another one where Davor was discussing backups for his "going
                  to the shop" LP.

                  Davor recently helped me spec out a great stage amp (Gibson Goldtone
                  GA15RV) and I wanted to return the favor with info on my "real world"
                  experience using BM 2.13i.

                  In particular my band adding some Journey songs to the mix made me
                  realize just how versatile the BM is. I can be the "keyboard player"
                  for most of the tunes and easily slide in and out of Neal Schon lead
                  guitar sections. Lots of ppl think we're playing to track. That's a
                  compliment in one way, frustrating in another, LOL. I often find myself
                  giving GR33/Brian Moore demos between sets.

                  > I to Have a Gibson Les Paul, mine is a 1985 Classic. I would never
                  > carve
                  > Up my Les Paul to fit a "RMC" or "Ghost" system.

                  I'm working with a similar LP - 1981 Black Custom, only retro fits
                  being Duncan JB bridge pickup and push/pull coil splitter switch. I
                  tend not to want to violate the original intent of an instrument.
                  Certainly could never afford to replace any of my older babies (1969 SG
                  Standard in particular). That's why I purchased the Brian Moore.

                  In addition, the BM's piezo bridge allows me to leave my Godin A6 home
                  and still get "acoustic" style sounds at gigs. Only real down side is
                  the "Doctor Octopus" feel of having so many cables coming out of one
                  skinny little guitar.

                  > I believe that Gibson is on the wrong
                  > Track with their "Digital Guitar". Gibson's system is based on
                  > Computer Software compliance. I would rather own a piece of gear,

                  Maybe I'm dense but I'm not really sure I even remotely "grok" any of
                  what Gibson is suggesting with this product. I must admit my
                  preference is to plug my LP into a killer amp directly, or squeeze it
                  up a bit with a simple overdrive. My current band requirements forced
                  me into the GR synth world and I'm just happy it's worked out as well
                  as it has so far. Even so I often feel like I'm flying without a
                  parachute.

                  Best,
                  Pete
                  http://www.firingblind.com
                • iaswnas
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 2, 2005
                    I'll agree with Heefie about the mahogany body and maple top (quilted
                    or flame)...

                    --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "mroree" <oree@c...> wrote:

                    > I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
                    guitars and basses.
                    > We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because
                    of my own interest,
                    > and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas about
                    this, but I'd like to
                    > ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the
                    ideal instrument would
                    > be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
                    being covered.

                    > Thanks
                  • mroree
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 4, 2005
                      Howdy,

                      I'm the guy who was asking for your ideas about designing a new guitar synth. It seems
                      like what you guys are saying is that as far as the guitar itself, you're pretty happy with
                      what's already available, and what you could get interested in are some new technical
                      ideas. We're more into the guitar side of it, so we'll probably just put that project on the
                      back burner. Anyway thanks, I appreciate the input.
                    • solaire98198
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 5, 2005
                        > Does the trem work in conjunction with the synth sounds or is that
                        not
                        > possible with the GR33 technology?

                        In answer to your question Pete:
                        Yeah the tremelo on my i1.13 track's the way I want it to, on both
                        the GR-33 and VG-88. On the GR-33 I set up all of my saved patches
                        basically the same way. BEND RANGE= full or 24, 1st and 2nd ATTACK -15,
                        1st and 2nd RELEASE +15. I never totally dive bomb my tremelo, I use it
                        more Allan Holdsworth like. I often double track/harmony lead lines in
                        combination with my regular guitar sound, adding whatever patch on my
                        GR-33 or XV-5050 I like. Hope this answers your question.
                      • Andrew Capon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 5, 2005
                          Hi There,

                          Sorry to sound like an absolute beginner but what are the 1st and 2nd attack
                          and release settings for?

                          Cheers

                          Andy

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 5, 2005
                            I've got a GR-33, so I'll take this one.

                            Any patch on the GR can have two separate "tones", almost like there
                            were 2 different synthesizers inside the patch. The 1st attack is the
                            attack setting for the first tone, and the 2nd attack is for the second
                            tone.

                            Some of the default patches use both tones, and some use only one.
                            Besides attack, there are a few other settings for each tone. Oddly,
                            there doesn't seem to be a level setting for each tone. If you want
                            only Tone 1 to sound, you have to change the "Balance" parameter to
                            -50. If you want both tones at equal loudness, you set it 0, and if you
                            want only Tone 2, you set it to 50. Or maybe I've got the positives and
                            negatives switched. It's weird.

                            --moonie

                            On Apr 05, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Andrew Capon wrote:

                            > Hi There,
                            >

                            > Sorry to sound like an absolute beginner but what are the 1st and 2nd
                            > attack
                            > and release settings for?
                            >

                            > Cheers
                            >

                            > Andy
                            >

                            > _____

                          • solaire98198
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 5, 2005
                              > Sorry to sound like an absolute beginner but what are the 1st and
                              2nd attack
                              > and release settings for?
                              >

                              > Cheers
                              >

                              > Andy

                              Hey Andy: In addition to what moonie said, the Attack and Release are
                              what keyboard/synth players recognize basically as programmed
                              technique. Guitarists do attack and release naturally with their
                              fingering and pick. Keyboardists/Synth "and guitar synth users" can
                              program how fast a note is sounded ie:ATTACK, and how fast a note
                              decays ie:RELEASE. Since I often layer my GR-33 with my regular
                              guitar sounds, I had to find a ATTACK/RELEASE setting that was
                              similiar to my regular fingering technique,"to keep it all seemless".
                              The setting's I listed work for me, they might not for a player with
                              different inflection or technique.
                              Hope this helps.
                            • iaswnas
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 12, 2005
                                --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "mroree" <oree@c...> wrote:
                                >We're more into the guitar side of it, so we'll probably just put
                                >that project on the back burner. Anyway thanks, I appreciate the
                                >input.

                                I might be jumping late into this conversation however I would like
                                to point out that I feel there is a market for a reasonably priced
                                (500 to 750 Euros) electric guitar with a fitted in piezo pickup and
                                a 13-pin output. In a word synth-ready guitar...

                                The Fender and Brian Moore models maybe very attractive but they're
                                in a different price league. Please keep in mind that US guitar
                                prices are drasticly different from European prices (a Gibson Les
                                Paul Standard begins at 2200 Euros).

                                Anyway to make a long story short, that's my 2 cents...
                              • Joe
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 16, 2005
                                  Haven't read all the messages posted on this topic, but...

                                  I would want a thicker Maple Top than what BM is making. I have 3 BM's, 2 USA's and
                                  the Tops are stunning, but not as thick as I would like. Also I would perfer a Carved
                                  Maple Top.

                                  I love how the BM's are configured for sound .. READ: "all 3 different sounds can be
                                  blended together".

                                  I love the Neck Profile on the i2P.13 import ... flat neck profile and I like the binding.
                                  There's no binding on the USA C-90's. I love the Flamed Maple Binding on the DC/
                                  1's!!

                                  Abalone Inlays.... not just dots, but something unique would be good.

                                  OK. Let's recap:

                                  1. Carved Thick Maple Top
                                  2. Real Wood Binding on the neck
                                  3. Flat Neck Profile
                                  4. Abalone Inlays (not dots)

                                  and one more .. 7 Ply Binding on the Top

                                  Thnx,
                                  JM

                                  --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "iaswnas" <iaswnas@y...> wrote:

                                  > I'll agree with Heefie about the mahogany body and maple top (quilted
                                  > or flame)...
                                  >
                                  > --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "mroree" <oree@c...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
                                  > guitars and basses.
                                  > > We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because
                                  > of my own interest,
                                  > > and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas about
                                  > this, but I'd like to
                                  > > ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the
                                  > ideal instrument would
                                  > > be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
                                  > being covered.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks
                                • wbmac
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 17, 2005
                                    One feature I would like to see is a rotary switch for patch changes -
                                    the toggle up toggle down is too slow... get me from a11 to c55 in a
                                    heatbeat...having a detent would be nice so you can count and not
                                    have to look...
                                    This switch would provide the same function as the selector wheel on
                                    the GR-33.

                                    Maybe it's been done but I think it would be a huge improvement

                                    --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "mroree" <oree@c...> wrote:

                                    > I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
                                    guitars and basses.
                                    > We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly
                                    because of my own interest,
                                    > and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas
                                    about this, but I'd like to
                                    > ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the
                                    ideal instrument would
                                    > be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
                                    being covered.

                                    > Thanks
                                  • Jonathan
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 17, 2005
                                      > One feature I would like to see is a rotary switch for patch
                                      > changes -

                                      Good idea! I've always believed that to be one of the better features
                                      of the Variax. If you could add a rotary control, then you could
                                      assign the UP/Down for bank control, and have the rotary scroll
                                      through the patches.
                                    • Glenn Saunders
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 17, 2005
                                        Is there any way to get a knob like the Variax has from an electronics
                                        store? I can't find anything like it on Google.

                                        At 07:56 AM 4/17/2005, you wrote:

                                        > > One feature I would like to see is a rotary switch for patch
                                        > > changes -
                                        >
                                        >Good idea! I've always believed that to be one of the better features
                                        >of the Variax. If you could add a rotary control, then you could
                                        >assign the UP/Down for bank control, and have the rotary scroll
                                        >through the patches.
                                      • Chad Bomber
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 17, 2005
                                          Glen....Try Parts Express....www.partsexpress.com
                                          Chad
                                          > Is there any way to get a knob like the Variax has from an electronics
                                          > store? I can't find anything like it on Google.
                                          >
                                          > At 07:56 AM 4/17/2005, you wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > > One feature I would like to see is a rotary switch for patch
                                          > > > changes -
                                          > >
                                          > >Good idea! I've always believed that to be one of the better features
                                          > >of the Variax. If you could add a rotary control, then you could
                                          > >assign the UP/Down for bank control, and have the rotary scroll
                                          > >through the patches.
                                          >

                                          > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
                                          tentacle_joe@...

                                          > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                          > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
                                          > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • dhuet2000
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 20, 2005
                                            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "mroree" <oree@c...> wrote:

                                            > I work for a company that makes medium to high-end ($2000-$5000)
                                            guitars and basses.
                                            > We've been working on synth guitar ideas for a while, mostly because
                                            of my own interest,
                                            > and we're about to start making prototypes. I have my own ideas
                                            about this, but I'd like to
                                            > ask you all here if you would share your thoughts about what the
                                            ideal instrument would
                                            > be. Or if there is even any part of the market that isn't already
                                            being covered.

                                            > Thanks

                                            The ultimate guitar for me would be one that will take the Line 6
                                            Variax electronics and combine them with the GK Roland electronics
                                            (both using piezos). Add to that a combination of single coil and/or
                                            humbucking pickups (Kingman Strat pickups or PRS Dragon HBs). This
                                            way you have a pickup, piezo acoustic, synth ready, modeling guitar
                                            that can do just about anything. Of course, there are problems, like
                                            having a regular jack, a piezo only jack (a la Brian Moore), a 13 pin
                                            Roland jack, and a Line 6 ethernet jack for the Variax digital
                                            interface. The body would have to be hollowed out quite a bit to fit
                                            all the batteries and electronics.

                                            Oh well... I guess I can dream.
                                          • mike

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 25, 2005
                                                Hello All,
                                                I have purchased a pair of Crate Audio PSM6P Powered Full-Range
                                                Monitors.What are your opinions for their use as outputs for my GR-33
                                                and VG-8? Any insights or comments? Rick Nicholson

                                                Glenn Saunders wrote:

                                                >Is there any way to get a knob like the Variax has from an electronics
                                                >store? I can't find anything like it on Google.
                                                >
                                                >At 07:56 AM 4/17/2005, you wrote:
                                                >

                                                >>>One feature I would like to see is a rotary switch for patch
                                                >>>changes -
                                                >>>

                                                >>Good idea! I've always believed that to be one of the better features
                                                >>of the Variax. If you could add a rotary control, then you could
                                                >>assign the UP/Down for bank control, and have the rotary scroll
                                                >>through the patches.
                                                >>

                                                >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
                                                >Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts!
                                                >http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/QnLolB/TM
                                                >
                                                >for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
                                                >to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
                                                >to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                >to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Preffer, Frederic I., Ph.D.
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 25, 2005
                                                  I don't know the specific units specifically, but generically I suspect you will
                                                  be very happy from the sonic perspective!