Re: SEND IN YOUR PATCHES!!!!!!!!

  • Claude Voit
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
      Ted Davis wrote:

      > my main concern is that the patches cant be named with the editor. that is a
      > serious shortcoming. i suspect that there is a solution out there.
      > has anyone tried the cakewalk guitar studio?
      > does it allow you to name patches?
      >
      > ted

      ted

      there is no name string in the gr30 sys ex so its not possible per se

      although with an universal librarian/editor like soundiver you can make
      up your own names
      but if you want to give it away to the world you're stuck with the sysex
      or midifile format (no names)
      the name being encoded in the librarian/editor's own file format

      Claude
    • James Prevallet
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
        I'm a software engineer and I do a lot of programming
        in CAL (cakewalk application language). I've developed
        applications similar to the GR-30 studioware provided
        by this group.

        I've addressed this issue of tag-names in the studio ware
        programming module with cakewalk. I asked them
        to provide us with the ability to reference the patch name
        database from either CAL or from studioware. I received
        a nice response from them indicating that they will
        consider the concept. Perhaps if a few of us bug them
        about it, I could clean up the patch editor for Cakewalk
        to include the ability to add names.

        Their e-mail address is: soundoff@...

        Just let them know the following:
        --------------------- cut here ------------------------
        I'd like to see more functions in CAL. I'm a custom
        software developer and a professional musician.
        I'd like to see functions that allow me to do more
        with studioware and CAL integration. Especially
        in the area of fetching, searching displaying
        and manipulating strings from the instrument
        definition files as well as other database elements
        present in cakewalk.

        If I could somehow connect alias definitions to
        database elements (such as a patch name
        field), my custom studioware programs would
        be much easier to use. Many digital musicians
        out there would like to see my programs allow
        them to create and display patch names for new
        patches they create.
        --------------------- cut here ------------------------

        I think if enough of us say something, they'll
        get it done.

        Best of,
        JAMES PREVALLET

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999

          >That's one thing I really liked about the GR-50, you could really program
          >your own patches alot... the GR-30 seems to only be able to mix samples and
          >alter a few dynamics parameters. Would a GR-30 patch library be of any real
          >substance?

          Here, here...I never owned one. But, I understand the differences.
          Complete programmability is a nicer feature than the way the GR-30 is setup.
          However, I am still a happy camper.
          Hey Doug,

          >I downloaded the GR-30 patch editor for Macintosh. It is so out of date that
          >it requires use of the "Midi Manager". That stopped working with Mac OS 8.0
          >I think.
          No, waaayyy earlier than 8...it stopped working during the 7.5 days.

          >We are at OS 8.6 now. Anybody know if there will be any updates to
          >the Patch Editor for use with today's OS? Hurry OS 9 is on the doorstep.

          You don't need to use "Apple's MIDI Manager" you can use OMS 2.x.x or
          FreeMIDI 1.3.8 with OMS emulation turned on. Both have worked just fine. I
          am using Logic Audio and Digital Performer, so now I am using FreeMIDI
          1.3.8. And with Logic Audio, I don't have to use anything...so the two
          programs are a perfect marriage for each other and the OMS emulation works
          just fine for the GR-30 Editor PPC. Try one of them, you will be happy...it
          does work! I am on 8.5.1.

          >> does anyone out there have a decent bass patch?
          >> one that actually sounds like an acoustic bass?
          >> i cant seem to get the sound i am looking for
          >> everything i come up with sounds too techno
          >> i am looking for a straight ahead jazz trio sound
          >Doug Miller
          >Graphic artist / Illustrator
          >Columbus, Ohio
          >http://home.columbus.rr.com/dougmiller/
          >
          >><��>

          Cheers,
          Alexis Vincent Aiosa
          http://www.loop.com/~avaiosa
          mailto:avaiosa@...
          or
          aiosa9@...
        • Stephen Szajna
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
            and where in the world can a mac compatible patch editor be downloaded
            from?

            Sorry if it sounds flip but I just haven't found one.

            SteveSZ
          • Joey Aguilera
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
              http://www.indiscipline.net/gr-30/ <http://www.indiscipline.net/gr-30/>

              Joey Aguilera
              626-660-3551

              and where in the world can a mac compatible patch editor be
              downloaded
              from?

              Sorry if it sounds flip but I just haven't found one.

              SteveSZ

              --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
              ----------------------------

              Choose from a wide selection of high-quality newsletters at
              ONElist.
              For details on ONElist's PROS&PUNDITS newsletters, click
              below.
              Here</a>

            • Stephen Szajna
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
                Thanks for the response Joey. Typically I just read the postings in my
                compuserve mailbox so I don't check the website very often (DUH).

                Looks like I have something to keep me busy besides football this weekend.
                Thanks again.

                SteveSZ

                ----------
                >From: Joey Aguilera <Joey_Aguilera@...>
                >To: GR-30@onelist.com
                >Subject: RE: [GR-30] SEND IN YOUR PATCHES!!!!!!!!
                >Date: Fri, Oct 1, 1999, 12:10 PM
                >

                > From: Joey Aguilera <Joey_Aguilera@...>
                >
                > http://www.indiscipline.net/gr-30/ <http://www.indiscipline.net/gr-30/>
                >

                > Joey Aguilera
                > 626-660-3551

              • Doug Miller
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
                  I'll pick up FreeMIDI and let you know what happens.

                  We complain about the GR-30 manual, but that is only because the GR-30 is so
                  cool itself. I love it! I only wish the manual was just as great.

                  >>That's one thing I really liked about the GR-50, you could really program
                  >>your own patches alot... the GR-30 seems to only be able to mix samples and
                  >>alter a few dynamics parameters. Would a GR-30 patch library be of any real
                  >>substance?
                  >
                  > Here, here...I never owned one. But, I understand the differences.
                  > Complete programmability is a nicer feature than the way the GR-30 is setup.
                  > However, I am still a happy camper.

                  >>I downloaded the GR-30 patch editor for Macintosh. It is so out of date that
                  >>it requires use of the "Midi Manager". That stopped working with Mac OS 8.0
                  >>I think.
                  > No, waaayyy earlier than 8...it stopped working during the 7.5 days.

                  >>We are at OS 8.6 now. Anybody know if there will be any updates to
                  >>the Patch Editor for use with today's OS? Hurry OS 9 is on the doorstep.
                  > You don't need to use "Apple's MIDI Manager" you can use OMS 2.x.x or
                  > FreeMIDI 1.3.8 with OMS emulation turned on. Both have worked just fine. I
                  > am using Logic Audio and Digital Performer, so now I am using FreeMIDI
                  > 1.3.8. And with Logic Audio, I don't have to use anything...so the two
                  > programs are a perfect marriage for each other and the OMS emulation works
                  > just fine for the GR-30 Editor PPC. Try one of them, you will be happy...it
                  > does work! I am on 8.5.1.

                  Doug Miller
                  Graphic artist / Illustrator
                  Columbus, Ohio
                  http://home.columbus.rr.com/dougmiller/

                  ><��>
                • Doug Miller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 1999
                    I've been using my Roland GP-16's display to give me meaningful names for my
                    GR-30. Kind of a long way around the barn... but it works alot better than
                    "C41"!