Re: Re: Midi Guitar FAQ's

  • Zeek Duff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      On 1/1/04 10:02 AM, "GR-30@yahoogroups.com" <GR-30@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> [...]

      There's an old Casio MIDI Guitar still around (but not made anymore) that IS
      a "complete" MIDI guitar, everything required is onboard. But, I think the
      person's original question was a generic one as applied to the concept of
      "MIDI guitar," not a specific instrument. Since we're going to start the
      new year putting a fine point on the pencil... ;)

      Best regards,
      ...z

      On the keyboard of life,
      always keep one finger on the escape key...

      Zeek Duff's CDs and mp3 downloads
      NEW! in progress <http://www.zeekduff.com>
      Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar From Beautiful Colorado
    • Cliff Lang
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        Yeah, I played with a guy who had one of those once. Our keyboard player
        quit and we still had a couple of commitments, so we hired this guy. It was
        interesting. The guitar MIDI out went to a Casio keyboard he just stood in
        the corner. To select a patch, he would flip a switch to put the guitar in
        "command" mode, then play a particular note: a B note for instance, 7th fret
        on the hi E string, might tell the keyboard, "You're a stringed instrument
        between a violin and cello in pitch!" Then he'd flip the switch back to
        "play" mode and viola! He also played conventional guitar parts of course.

        I'd never encountered anything like that before. It actually worked pretty
        well.

        The rig was already a forgotten dead-end by that time, and this was, oh,
        back in '96 I think it was. Casio had already discontinued the entire
        concept by then.

        And believe it or not the place I'd seen that rig marketed was Macy's!

        Cliff Lang
        Guitarslinger
        Santa Rosa CA

        > > Please dont hit me....but the guitar isn't a "midi guitar".
        >
        > There's an old Casio MIDI Guitar still around (but not made anymore) that
        IS
        > a "complete" MIDI guitar, everything required is onboard. But, I think
        the
        > person's original question was a generic one as applied to the concept of
        > "MIDI guitar," not a specific instrument. Since we're going to start the
        > new year putting a fine point on the pencil... ;)
        >
        > Best regards,
        > ...z
        >

        > On the keyboard of life,
        > always keep one finger on the escape key...
        >

        > Zeek Duff's CDs and mp3 downloads
        > NEW! in progress <http://www.zeekduff.com>
        > Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar From Beautiful Colorado
        >

        > The GR-30 mailing list is maintained by Joey Aguilera -
        tentacle_joe@...

        > for info: gr-30-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > to post: gr-30@yahoogroups.com
        > to set digest GR-30-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > to set normal GR-30-normal@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Michael Gardner
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          Nice pun Cliff! Whether intended or not. ;-)
          I remember those Casio midi guitars. Seems to me they even had some
          cheezy onboard sounds. I'd forgotten those things even existed.
          Thanks for the "blast from the past."
          Happy New Year to all by the way!

          -mike

          --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Cliff Lang" <cloffo@s...> wrote:

          >"You're a stringed instrument between a violin and cello in pitch!"
          >Then he'd flip the switch back to "play" mode and viola!
        • Joey
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
            --- In GR-30@yahoogroups.com, "Butch" <butchhutchinson@y...> wrote:
            > Is there any FAQ's for midi Guitar
            > Like; Tracking , Pitch Bend, String Gage, Triggering & so On.....

            http://www.geocities.com/midi_guitar/faq.html
          • Maciej Gornicki
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
              Dnia 1 Jan 2004 o godz. 20:53, Michael Gardner napisal:

              > Nice pun Cliff! Whether intended or not. ;-)
              > I remember those Casio midi guitars. Seems to me they even had some
              > cheezy onboard sounds. I'd forgotten those things even existed.
              > Thanks for the "blast from the past."

              They had exactly the same sound engine as in Casio VZ-1 synthesiser.
              Actually, my brother-in-law has such a guitar and I used to have the
              Casio VZ. Their insertable sound cards were interoperable. The major
              difference was that you could program a VZ and couldn't program the PG
              guitar. So, assuming you had an access to a VZ and had a RAM card, you
              could create a whole new world of sounds for the guitar. It was FM-based
              synthesis (actually called "Interactive Phase Distortion"), not sample-
              based, but the sound engine was quite clever and you could achieve a lot
              of - indeed - cheesy tones if you knew what you were doing. For example -
              organ, synth brass, orchestra and bell sounds had endless tweaking
              possibilities (you could control the sound up to 64th harmonic, IIRC).

              --
              Maciej Gornicki
              e-mail: M.Gornicki@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004