Trackuino (Arduino based APRS tracker)

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2011
      Hi All,

      We built a Trackuino last night for our ROBOMO-2 payload. Being an electronics/robotics group we decided that it would only be appropriate to build a tracker instead of buying one.

      We used this PCB board: http://www.nkcelectronics.com/arduino-runtime-board-rev-b.html

      Which we then populated with the Mega328, an oscillator, and a few misc. electronic bits.

      We are using Paul V's GPS unit and a RadioMetrix single channel radio.

      The Trackuino is not completely plug and play, there is a bit of configuration to do to the program before you compile and load it into the Arduino.

      Trackuino website: http://code.google.com/p/trackuino/

      It is not necessary to use the fancy board he pictures on the website...you can use any Arduino that has a Mega328 processor, which most of them have had for a while now.

      I have been testing the payload here in Winfield, Mo. which brought up a whole new can of worms....there are no iGates near enough to me to pick up the 350mw signal! So I spend a good part of today setting up an iGate using AGWPE, APRSIS32, and my Radio Shack scanner. It was not what I would call easy to do!

      Anyway, ROBOMO-2 now appears on the aprs.fi map under the callsign KD0MEQ-11.

      I plan to keep the payload in my car as I drive around during the coming week and should be able to hit some different iGates.

      See you in July,

      Mike and the rest of the ROBOMO-2 team