Re: [GPSL] Oklahoma Science Museum Flight Today

    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2011
      From aprs.fi, looks like their GPS crapped out above about 60K'.

      On 5/6/2011 08:53, HarryM wrote:

      > The Oklahoma Science Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma will attempt to launch
      > their first flight today at approx. noon o’clock CDT. Attached to the 3000g
      > balloon are student payloads. Details of the payload contents are unknown at
      > this time. Total weight is 4.5 pounds. APRS Tracking is on 144.390 via a
      > Kenwood TH-D72a and stock antenna. Call sign is N5NUK-11. Tracking is also
      > provided via a Garmin cell tracker. Their will be good internet coverage for
      > most of the flight. The final stages of descent will be Igated by me in Tulsa,
      > depending on VHF propagation. Ascent/descent are predicted to be 1200 fpm/1000
      > fpm and landing is predicted to be at 95 deg/73 miles from OKC. This puts it
      > along I-40 between Okemah & Henryetta, Oklahoma depending on the
      > ascent/descent rates achieved.
      > 73 Harry KC5TRB
      > O.R.B.

    • HarryM
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2011
        Hi Jerry,

        I had no control over the choice of radio. The Museum bought it on a recommendation from someone else and they had no time to get an external GPS. They must have a good budget because they bought the radio, 6 tanks of helium and 3 3000g balloons. They literally pulled the flight off with a minimum amount of preplanning.

        73 Harry KC5TRB

        -----

        > The th-d72a does allow you to use an external GPS.  Not perfect but at least a solution.
        On the other hand, isn't the 72a kind of an expensive radio to risk loosing?
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2011
          You know, if they weren't too proud and were willing to talk to you, this could have gone better.

          Harry, I see you got my number. I'm wondering if I can arrange a launch in Oklahoma in early June.

          Paul