ORBCOMM interface library for Arduino

  • Dan Bowen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
      By the way all, the ORBCOMM serial interface specification is very robust- which means it's got a very steep learning curve. I'd like to help anyone that wishes to implement it as much as possible, as it's proved to be tremendously useful for us. I'll be releasing our Arduino code for interfacing with any ORBCOMM compatible modem, and a settings guide with recommended settings for balloonists use. You'll really want to take note of the settings guide, as there's over 60 preference values, and most are not very easy to find definitions of. With the Digi m10 ($150 on DigiKey.com), ORBCOMM service t is quite ideal for long duration flights (more than 3 hours), and post-landing control/telemetry from payloads or rovers.

      It is probably not generally appropriate for short balloon flights' telemetry due to the possible latencies, however one could plan the flight around times of excellent satellite coverage, which would give low latency for a very nice two-way comm system.

      If anyone has any experience making actual libraries for arduino, I'd like some help in turning IDE code into a useful include library. It would be good to do this before June, as we'll have sat service active at White Star till the end of May to test code out with. It's rather hard (as in not possible) to test code for message passing without an active service plan, which is hard to obtain at the moment.

      Once the trans-atlantic season is over I'm also going to work with ORBCOMM to see if there's a way to make obtaining service easier for amateur balloonists and other hobbyists.

      Thanks,
      Dan
    • Allen Sklar
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2011
        Hello Dan and others,

        I know about ORBCOMM AIS (Marine) services, but what are you using ORBCOMM for
        in balloon flights ????

        Allen Sklar
        Tempe AZ USA