Re: [GPSL] Video Recording

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2011
      We also thought of doing that too but just never got around to doing it/  Like make a 3 foot wide and 3 foot tall flag out of space blanket with a small amount of weight at the bottom edge like maybe another dowel rod to keep it straight and down.

      On the way up i think it would help,  but down?  hmmmmm?
      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com

      On 1/5/2011 7:36 PM, Mike Manes wrote:
      Put flags on the ends of the rods to create viscous friction with the air
      to consume the rotational energy / momentum.  Extra weight at the ends of
      the rods are more effective in producing rotational inertia than the same
      weight closer in.

      On 1/4/2011 13:28, L. Paul Verhage wrote:

      On spacecraft, they dampen out nodding with vertical tubes of oil in the
      corners of the satellite.  I wonder if something like an oil would work for
      us?  It wouldn't freeze, and if its viscosity is correct, it would be trying
      to slosh the opposite direction that the near spacecraft is twisting.
      I suppose this is best if the near spacecraft is rocking back and forth.
      Once stuff gets spinning, we need to get rid of the arms to help slow things
      down (momentum resists, but also stores).
      Paul

      On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Jerry Gable <jerrygable@...
      <mailto:jerrygable@...>> wrote:

          Ah the old conservation of vector trick (think Ice Skater sticking out
          their arms in a spin.

          On the last flight I put a 4 ft fiberglass rod on the parachute ring with
          a camera and it helped but did not stabilize the picture as much as yours
          did.  I guess longer is better.

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2011
        We are going to fly the fiberglass horizontal poll with a vertical poll to further stabilize the camera.  Thanks to everyone for the input.  We will let you know how the footage comes out.

        Thanks again,
        Tim