The Old Battery Packs

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      That we used to buy surplus.  Had like 10 kinda "D" sized cells in therm and you broke it apart and got two flights worth of cells from one pack.

      what was the AH rating on those?  I'm remembering like 7AH?

      and what was the chemistry?

      Sig
      The Original Rolling Ball Clock
      Idle Tyme
      Idle-Tyme.com
      http://www.idle-tyme.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
        Hi Joe,

        Those were outdated LiSO2 primary cells, originally rated at 7 AH, but back
        in the '90's, we ran a "typical EOSS payload" test on 'em (500 - 750 mA, IIRC)
        and got 4AH out of a 5S pack before the loaded voltage dropped below 12.0V.

        BTW, those easy-to-open surplus packs are extinct, so far as I was able to
        figure a couple of years ago; that's why we switched over to Li-ion 18650's.
        I think you can still find some of the newer plastic-cased packs with the
        same cells, but they run over $100 apiece and they're a booger to harvest
        cells from.

        I have a huge pile of partially discharged cells under my bench that I've got
        to drain and dispose of. Any takers? :=)

        73 de Mike W5VSI

      • wb8elk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2011
          Joe....BA5590/U pack....LiSO3....7.5 Ah 3 Volts per cell.