Re: [GPSL] Lunar Eclipse

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 21 10:18 AM
      I was really hoping to take pictures every 5 seconds and animating it into a movie.  Sounds like Nebraska and Colorado had clear shots.

      Paul

      On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:09 PM, Rick von Glahn <rick@...> wrote:

      I waffled back and forth and finally decided to shoot the eclipse. It was fun because, the photos actually came out nicely. Here is a link to the traditional composite photo showing the moon in various phases of the eclipse.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickvg/5280190884/sizes/l/in/photostream/

      You need to load the “original” size (10K pixels wide) to really see anything.

      73 -- Rick

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 21 10:23 AM
      Nice sequence Rick!

      I did venture out and took a few shots. It was 53 deg, but had very dense atmosphere with fog forming. Had to keep the camera covered between shots. It’s the first time I’ve shot the moon with my Canon SX-200. SO I bracketed up to 10 sec with varying ISO from 200 to 800. I didn’t get my 10” reflector scope out because of the fog. I really would’ve liked to have had my old Nikon F film camera out and hooked up to the scope. Digital, even at 12mp & 12 opt zoom sucks. Film is still my choice! I’ll attach a pic here and see if it goes through.

      73 Harry
      KC5TRB

      Message 3 of 14 , Dec 21 10:28 AM
        Now THAT would have been cool!
        Sig
        The Original Rolling Ball Clock
        Idle Tyme
        Idle-Tyme.com
        http://www.idle-tyme.com

        Message 4 of 14 , Dec 21 10:28 AM
        Didn’t realize the Forum changes the pic size. The low res posting doesn’t do it justice. Can’t see the stars.
        Here’s the first in the sequence.

      • HarryM
        Message 5 of 14 , Dec 21 10:33 AM

          Ahhhhhh.... I forgot about the little resolution buttons at top left.
          Click on “Original” for the full image.
        • Rick von Glahn
          Message 6 of 14 , Dec 21 10:34 AM

            Yep, our skies were close to ideal. There was a super thin layer of cirrus clouds, the kind that leaves a ring around the moon which was evident. I didn’t get any photos of that. Too large for the  lens I was using and I had all the optics cooled down to ambient and didn’t want to go inside and drag out a “hot” lens and heat up the camera a little. Figured everything was equalized to the 18 deg F conditions and didn’t want to introduce any variables or foggy pictures into the equation mid eclipse. The haze factor of these ice crystals was extremely low and had a low to no effect on the photos.

            I was freezing out there so no video. Course, I took the photos from a tripod, not a telescope mount with tracking capabilities. So, video would have been pretty much impossible without a ton of post processing. I thought it would have been fun to do the video about half way through the event but by then it was WAY too late. Perhaps next time, which looks to be April of 2014 for the US.

            73 -- Rick

            Message 7 of 14 , Dec 21 10:39 AM

              NICE and thanks for mentioning the resolution “button”. I missed that first time viewing.

              73 -- Rick

              Message 8 of 14 , Dec 21 10:43 AM
                I used a tripod and timer and as you can see in the one pic there is star movement so no tracking here either. I wasn’t even sure we’d see anything because it was cloudy at midnight and my 10” scope takes at least a couple hours to normalize. I was planning on using CHDK on my SX-200, but decided just to experiment with manual shots this time to get a basis for a future night script.
                Message 9 of 14 , Dec 21 10:48 AM
                  That sucks, I'm sure someone else is going to create fanastic animated videos of lunar eclipses before then.

                  I've produced animated movies of clouds by photographing every five seconds and dumping all the images into MS Movie Maker  My minimizing each frame and doubling their speed, you get a high definition, sped up movie of changing clouds.

                  I was trying to find a clock driven telescope mount, but the clouds here made it moot.  Perhaps in 3 years I can try again.

                  Paul

                  On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Rick von Glahn <rick@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Brenden Geary
                  Message 10 of 14 , Dec 21 2:13 PM
                    Clouded over in California, it was really disappointing.

                    Brenden Geary
                    www.BrendenGeary.com