BalloonSat Research

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2010
      I need to begin thinking about my first research publication.  I'm going to start a search on Google Scholar, but I'd be interested to hear from the universities on the list aboiut what they have done in regards to BalloonSats and publications.

      I'll teach an introduction to aerospace engineering class this spring and it will make heavy use of BalloonSats.  So I have a venue, I just need to come up with a topic.

      Any ideas are appreciated.

      Thanks, now to Google Scholar.

    • James Hannon
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010

        Paul,
        I would be interested in hearing what research results you find. I see a lot of information on launching and flying balloons but not much on the results of the data taken.

        Jim Hannon
        http://www.fmtcs.com/web/jmhannon/
        42,11.90N,91,39.26W
        WB0TXL

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
          Paul,

          Personally, I have not yet published anything about high altitude ballooning.  I have given oral presentations at different conferences and also had some poster presentations (both mine and from my students).  One challenge is to find a suitable journal for any publication.  A second issue is the difficulty in obtaining statistically valid data for our experiments.  The new effort begun this fall to study electromagnetic showers in lead may lead to a publication, although it could take a few years to get enough data to be confident in our results.

          I did a quick search using our Web of Science server through the campus library and it yielded a few results.

          These two appear to be potentially relevant.

          The high altitude student platform (HASP) for student-built payloads
          Author(s): Guzik TG, Wefel JP
          Source: NEXT GENERATION OF SCIENTIFIC BALLOON MISSIONS  Book Series: ADVANCES IN SPACE RESEARCH  Volume: 37   Issue: 11   Pages: 2125-2131   Published: 2006

          Comparison of balloon-carried atmospheric motion sensors with Doppler lidar turbulence measurements Author(s): Harrison RG, Heath AM, Hogan RJ, Rogers GW,
          REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS    Volume: 80    Issue: 2  Article Number: 026108    Published: FEB 2009

          I'd also encourage you to post your request for information on the Near Space Network site that you recently joined.  There are several academic institutions represented by the members on that site.

          Howard

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
            Paul,

            I did a little more digging!

            I know this article has its roots with the EOSS guys:

            Title: AirCore: An Innovative Atmospheric Sampling System
            Author(s): Karion A, Sweeney C, Tans P, et al.
            Source: JOURNAL OF ATMOSPHERIC AND OCEANIC TECHNOLOGY   Volume: 27   Issue: 11   Pages: 1839-1853  Published: NOV 2010

            This article might be another example, although I haven't been able to get to the abstract or the article:

            Title: Temperature stratification and altitude ozone variability in the low troposphere from acoustic and balloon sounding
            Author(s): Lokoshchenko MA, Shifrin DM
            Source: RUSSIAN METEOROLOGY AND HYDROLOGY   Volume: 34   Issue: 2   Pages: 72-82   Published: FEB 2009

            Howard

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
              Paul,

                I'm one of the authors on this paper that was published as part of an IEEE conference proceedings about 10 years ago...topic was using high altitude balloons to characterize solar cells in the stratosphere based on the Wayne State Univ/NASA Glenn Suntracker series of balloons that was launched by Dr. Woodyard KC8MSY from George Flinchbaugh's (WA8HDX SK) farm in Findlay, Ohio that was the site of my first Balloonsat in 1987:

                A follow up paper at a more recent IEEE conference that included our own David Snyder KB8PVR:

              So....a target journal would be the IEEE as well as the AIAA (I was a member of the AIAA Scientific Ballooning advisory board in the early 90's).

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
                Hi Howard,

                Thanks for digging that up. Actually, the AirCore sampler was developed by
                Dr. Peiter Tans of NOAA in Boulder. EOSS just hauls it up into the
                stratosphere and gets to its landing site & closes the valve in short order.

                We've done 3 or 4 of these flights for NOAA over the past few years.

                The AirCore payload weighs in at almost 7 kg, so it flies non-exempt under
                a 3000 gm Totex.

                73 de Mike W5VSI

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2010
                  I checked the KU library and Google Scholar.  Interestingly enough, there were more articles on Google Scholar.  Even still, there's not a lot written.  I'm a little suprised.

                  I'm looking more at publications in education journals.  So more along the lines of what pupils get out of the experience is what I'll write about.  I plan to run the BalloonSats lab of AE360 like students were building satellites.  We'll do simlar tests, flight planning, and data analysis.  I'll be learning how to use Matlab to model a mission and its results.  The text for the labs will be my BalloonSat articles for the Society of Amateur Scientists.  By the end of the semester I'd like to edited the articles enough to publish them in a book.

                  So I need to look at examples of educational research and see how lab classes were analyzed.  The organization for engineering education looks like a good start, as does NARST.

                  I recently joined the Near Space Network like Howard mentioned, but have not had the time to log in and pay everyone a visit.  I guess it's time to do that.

                  Thanks for the links everyone, I'll get on them.  I think one thing this does show is that a program with lots of accomplishment and potential isn't discussed much in educational journals.  With luck, I'll get pone passed peer review this summer.

                  Paul

                  --
                  Mike Manes    mrmanes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899

                     GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com