Re: [GPSL] New Pictues

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30 3:56 PM
      Sorry.

      I posted them in the Photos section of the GPSL site.

      here is a link...

      Tim

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
        Very nice.  You've got to be proud of your son.  He seems to do a lot of cool stuff!

        That landing did look close.  But that makes for an easy recovery.  We don't worry too much about that here in Iowa.  But we can't get pix of the Pacific, either.

        It seems the pix are a bit underexposed.  I find it's really difficult to get good exposures throughout a flight.  Underexposure is, or so I'm told, better than over-exposure.  The details are still there - your just gotta coax them out with software.

        Very nice! thanks for posting the link.

        Pete

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
          Yes congrats.

          You know, I suppose you could get a picture of the Pacific from Iowa if you can get the balloon high enough.  My calculation shows you just ned to get the balloon to an altitude of 2.7 million feet.  Ummm, how much helium wil that take?

          Usually I see problems with picture exposure when the camera's light detector is covered.  But that results in over exposed pictures.  I wonder can result in underexposed?

          Paul

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
            Yes I am very proud of Brenden.

            Photography is my hobby so I helped with the camera setup.  I told Brenden what the camera should do and he figured how to do with CHDK.  I have seen a bunch of photos that were blurred from payload spin.  I had Brenden set up the camera in aperture priority (AV) mode with a shutter speed of 1/500.  He also setup the camera to take RAW & JPG photos, however the RAW photos failed.    He used a Canon A470 which has a very small 5.75 x 4.31 mm sensor, which with a high shutter speed and a small sensor you are bound to have them come out under exposed.  I didn't think it would be a big deal because he would have RAW images that I could pull out the detail.  The other problem was not being able to use a UV/Haze filter.  His next flight I hope he will be flying a G11.  The G11 will allow him to  use filters and it has a much bigger sensor.  The G12 is coming out soon so I am hunting eBay for a cheap G11.

            Tim
            Brenden's Dad/Project Finance Dept

            I posted some photos from my sons launch on 9/26/2010. I thought you would enjoy the images of the Pacific ocean and just how close it landed to the freeway. He was very lucky.

            Tim

          • Roger Hammond

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                Is the UV filter on the camera lens?  On the lens shoudl be fine since the air should be dry inside the camera lens.

                One thing I discovered is you don't want to put a filter on the airframe.  Moisture inside will condense on the window to create fogging.

                I like the title of Project Finance Department!!

                Paul

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                  <<I like the title of Project Finance Department!!>>  Thanks Paul I do too, however I like Dad much more.

                  I am curious to know if you were using hand warmers when the fogging occurred?  On one of Brenden's attempts he used hand warmers and when we retrieved it 45minutes after lift off the gear inside was so hot you could hardly touch it. (This flight never made it passed 10k and is a long story for another thread.)  My point is condensation/fogging is caused by differences in temperature inside to out.  The flight from which these pictures came, his payload was not even close to air tight, so the temp on the inside was the same as the outside.  On this flight he insulated the batteries from the cold and some of the electronics but the camera was left to fend for itself.  Yes some were underexposed but none were fogged.

                  Thoughts?

                  What are others doing to fight condensation?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                    Ooh, 2.7 million feet is a bit out of my league.  Too much latex required.  (That's tongue-in-cheek, folks).

                    Interestingly, we did get a photo showing a sliver of Lake Michigan from over NE Iowa this past winter.

                    Enough of that - this thread is Brenden's.  A very nice job by a promising young man.

                    Pete
                    KC0GPB

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                      The fogging of the lens occurs when the equipment temperature is below the dew point of the ambient air - at least in our experience.  It has occurred for us only on descent after the payload box takes a good cold soak at altitude and then returns relatively quickly in to the humid air nearer the ground.

                      We haven't experience it but I suppose you could also get fogging on ascent passing through moisture and a change in temp.

                      Those of us that fly east of a longitudinal line from about El Paso, TX live with this humidity every Summer.  Yuck!  (Or so I've read that El Paso line is a rough dividing line between arid air and the stuff we swim through in the Summer).

                      Pete

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                        The only time I've run into condensation problems is during descent thru a
                        thick cloud layer - the payload guts are cold, and the ambient wet air is
                        infiltrating during descent. One trick that seemed to work a bit was to
                        install a breather port packed with silica gel desiccant. The port was
                        made from a pill bottle with the top and bottom perforated with 0.063"
                        drilled holes.

                        73 de Mike W5VSI

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                          My first flight encountered fogging on ascent.  It appears the window on the outside of the airframe got colder than the Styrofoam walls of the airframe.  This was a launch from Kansas where we do have a "small" amount of humidity.  Since that first flight, I've left left the camera port open to the air and have not suffered fogging for a camera inside the airframe looking out.

                          I too have suffered fogging on descent (actually my camera did, I wasn't onboard ;) ).  It seems to be a problem for the camera outside the airframe.

                          I wonder if you can use a small CPU fan to blow air across the camera on descent?

                          Paul

                          Mike Manes    mrmanes@...     Tel: 303-979-4899

                             GPSL-digest@yahoogroups.com
                             GPSL-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2010
                            Using a window over the camera view port is a mixed bag. Yes, it can fog up,
                            but it also keeps dust out of the camera. One of the Canon 560's nastier
                            failure modes is getting dirt in the lens extension mechanism. Eastern CO
                            is typical of the dust bowl of the '30's in the summer.

                            I use a very thin film window (ink jet transparency stock with the rough side
                            cleaned up with isopropyl rubbing alcohol). The thin stock may allow internal
                            heat generated by the camera to keep the window fog-free if it's very close to
                            the lens.

                            I've not had a great deal of luck using RainX to prevent fogging on this
                            material, however.

                            73 de Mike W5VSI