Re: [EOSS] First packet EBBE?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      Hi Mark,

      Well, I guess congratulations are due, darnit! I tried twice to
      do an ARQ EBBE to N9XTN-9 but the link timed out due to the massive
      amount of traffic on 144.34. I guess EOSS's only consolation was the
      fact that the W5VSI-11/EOSS module was the first in the digi path
      from Ralph nearly 300 miles out; not too shabby for a 350 mw DJ-C1
      into a 1/4 wave whip, huh?

      BTW, it seems that Mark and Harry also did a UI EBBE, altho at a much
      closer range.

      The next challenge will be to make an >>ARQ<< EBBE packet QSO ...
      We're on it ...

      And I was gratified to see a 1023 fpm average ascent rate to 88,999.3
      ft MSL reported from the on-board GGA log in the APRS module. Since
      our flight string was about 50 ft long and the APRS was at the bottom,
      I guess we can safely claim to have busted 89K'. Paul's 104K' was the
      kingmaker, however.

      Another disappointment was loss of our ATV signal. Turned out that
      the BNC connector between the jack on the ATV module and the feedline
      simply came unscrewed during a rather traumatic launch - this despite
      the safety line to the BNC shell to prevent just that ... Murphy WILL
      have his way, won't he? Good news is that all three modules on the
      EOSS flight string came thru unscathed and remain fully functional.

      Yet another great GPSL, and thanks to Zack and the rest of the team
      in making it happen. The EOSS guys are pumped to do it again in
      2005 - if it's within a day's drive from Denver.

      73 de Mike W5VSI
      EOSS

      Mark Conner wrote:

      > During the GPSL flights yesterday, N9XTN and W0RPK communicated by unproto packet messages through the NSTAR and EOSS TNCs. Below is the text from my log file:
      >
      > W0RPK>EN31FK,EOSS*,NSTAR:QRZ via EBBE de W0RPK
      >
      > W0RPK>EN31FK,EOSS,NSTAR*:QRZ via EBBE de W0RPK
      >
      > N9XTN-9>APS212,NSTAR*,EOSS:Hi Ralph
      >
      > N9XTN-9>APS212,NSTAR,EOSS*:Hi Ralph
      >
      > W0RPK>EN31FK,EOSS*,NSTAR:TNX Mark via EBBE
      >
      > W0RPK>EN31FK,EOSS,NSTAR*:TNX Mark via EBBE
      >
      > N9XTN-9>APS212,NSTAR*,EOSS:Got it Ralph - tnx
      >
      > N9XTN-9>APS212,NSTAR,EOSS*:Got it Ralph - tnx
      >

      > Ralph's QTH is near Indianola IA at approximately N41° 26.2' W93° 34.0' N9XTN-9 was located at N38° 01.92' W97° 20.27' at the time of the QSO. The NSTAR payload was at N38° 01.79' W97° 11.17 and EOSS was at N38° 12.30' W97°17.72.
      >
      > The distance between the QSO stations was 308.7 statute miles and the balloons were 13.5 statute miles apart. Ralph's QTH was 298.1 miles from the EOSS balloon and N9XTN-9 was 8.24 miles from the NSTAR balloon.
      >
      > 73 de Mark N9XTN
      Einstein