Re: [GPSL] Forecast for Friday and Saturday

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2004
      The airspace around Wichita is actually class C (Class A is everywhere
      from FL180 to FL600). And, as I recall, the area around McConnell is
      simply an alert area because of the heavies going in an out of there.
      There are no gunnery ranges or restricted areas - in fact that side of
      town is quite rich in GA traffic coming off of Jabarra and ?Beech? Field.

      As for avoiding populations, that's a nice thought but impossible. If a
      payload is destined to cause damage, it's going to cause as much damage
      to a farm house as it is in downtown Wichita.

      I'm not advocating projecting a flight to land in downtown Wichita, all
      I'm saying is that this is a business of calculated risks. We run the
      risk of causing thousands of dollars in damages and even death the
      INSTANT we let go of the capsule. Besides, I'm not convinced that our
      predictions are good enough to be that picky. At best, PT has had +/- 2
      miles, which is more than enough to be inside or outside of 95% of the
      towns in Kansas.

      Zack